What did you enjoy most about sailing on the Majestic with reduced passenger capacity?

CineGraphic

I've only got 4 weeks to start getting excited about our 7 day Mexican Riviera sailing, after futzing with that kakamamie app for months, so please....

Tell me just how wonderful it was to be on a ship that was no more than 60% full.

I doubt seating was a problem anywhere, (at least, one would hope so).

And, while I've got you...... what were your "must haves" and why?

Thanks in advance.....

Well not everything was open so you still have more people grouped together.  Like one dinning room is closed the symphony.  So we only used the other 2, and half the buffet isn't open.  Never had long wait at the bar.  Must have was princess plus for me.  It's a great deal imo.  At the outside pool bar order an ivory coast, I enjoyed many but could only order it there.

• Thanks 1

I thought the service was as good if not better than any PCL cruise I have been on. I had the feeling that Princess brought back their best people. Examples: 1. We frequently had lunch at Alfredos. The second time we ate there we got the same server and he remembered our names and wine and somehow served us every time. 2. In the past, we have called room service to have the minibar changed out. Usually a pain, because they would be so busy. This time the steward asked us what we wanted on her initial visit and took care of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We loved that venues were not crowded and we could get places shortly before the show and grab a seat.  Could walk around with it rarely feeling crowded.  Thought the service was fabulous.  Especially Hiren in the International Cafe, waitstaff in the Allegro dining room and in Harmony.  The won ton soup at the noodle bar was great.  We had to have that twice.  Could get it as spicy or not as you wanted.  Really good.  Many of the games or trivia in Princess Live were an absolute blast!  Hope you enjoy your cruise.  We just came back from a stormy trip to Alaska and had a fantastic trip.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on Sky (so almost the same as Majestic)  last week and there were only 1295 passengers! Service as you would expect was very good,  no need to use app to order drinks because there were so many waiters about and they were  asking if you wanted another drink before finishing the first one. The medallion readers weren't working a lot of the time and just asked for cabin number. 

One of the MDR was closed and half of the buffet. No problem getting a table. On the sea days the weather wasn't very good so most people inside but no problem getting a quiet seat if you wanted one....it was like being on a private yacht with most lounges empty. We had lunch in the MDR one day and there were more waiters than passengers. 

No social distancing in the theatre and it seemed very strange with so many empty seats for the popular shows and just a handful of people for the not so popular ones.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I had my pick of seats 10 minutes before the shows in Princess theater,  no more arriving 30-45 minutes early

I could always find a seat in the piazza 

What a change that is for the theater. On our first Princess cruise one day DW woke up with a migraine that she blamed on having to stand in the back of the theater.

• Like 1

We don't always take elevators everywhere we go, but on our August cruise we were on Lido far forward. So, we took elevators more than usual. The thing we enjoyed most about the sparsely populated ship was being able to just walk up and get an empty elevator nearly all the time. Rarely had to wait and rarely had anybody else in it with us. That and the nearly empty walking track up top. That was great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No lines anywhere, plenty of seats available wherever you go, no sitting for an hour beforehand just to get a seat in Princess Live or in the theater, etc.  

But, the best part is being able to get to know the crew and the staff a little better.  

They still have great food, great entertainment and great service!  I actually love the reduced capacity.  It's probably not so great for those that make tips ... but they genuinely seem happy to be working again.  Don't focus on the app ... it will most likely work perfectly for you once onboard.  If not, you don't even have to use it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We don't always take elevators everywhere we go, but on our August cruise we were on Lido far forward. So, we took elevators more than usual. The thing we enjoyed most about the sparsely populated ship was being able to just walk up and get an empty elevator nearly all the time. Rarely had to wait and rarely had anybody else in it with us. That and the nearly empty walking track up top. That was great.

This was what I was going to say too.  We were also at the front of the ship and loved the availability and few people on the elevators!

We also loved being able to make last minute reservations for dinner and having space in Vines to sit anytime we wanted.  

And I agree with Cruise Raider that with the lower # of passengers, the crew was free to actually take time to talk and we loved that they knew who we were and called us by name and we made some great connections with the staff.

It was really great!!  We can't wait until our next cruise!!!

Edited by Mary Ann 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh that’s good to know about the App. Our cruise is not until next June and I am already worried about using it. We both have Princess Plus, but my hubby only has a flip phone and from what I read, you can only order 1 drink at a time on your own phone. Princess have really messed up this App “thing.”I am prepared to give it a try, as we really like Princess, but we don’t need this App if it is too much like “hard work.”

Just now, Mary Ann 2 said:

This was what I was going to say too.  We were also at the front of the ship and loved the availability and few people on the elevators!

We also loved being able to make last minute reservations for dinner and having space in Vines to sit anytime we wanted.  

It was really great!!  We can't wait until our next cruise!!!

We sail again on 10/31, assuming we get tested successfully, and I'm really looking forward to that. No idea what the passenger count will be, but probably  not 100%.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Oh that’s good to know about the App. Our cruise is not until next June and I am already worried about using it. We both have Princess Plus, but my hubby only has a flip phone and from what I read, you can only order 1 drink at a time on your own phone. Princess have really messed up this App “thing.”I am prepared to give it a try, as we really like Princess, but we don’t need this App if it is too much like “hard work.”

My Medallion app worked great during our cruise in August, but we never used it once to order food or drinks.  It was very easy to just walk into any bar and get served quickly.  And if I need food, I will go get it.

I don't think anyone needs to stress about using the app on the ship.  Just get your medallion to open doors and pay.  You'll be fine.

Edited by Mary Ann 2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, Scotmay said:

I really don't understand the urge to order drinks via the app - do people spend all their time in there cabins ?  We always spend time interacting with bartenders and servers.  Once they get to know you they will have your regular drink to you in a flash

• Like 4

Loved the flexibility of changing dining reservations at the last minute, also being able to show up as the curtain was going up at the shows and still getting a good seat! No lines to get back onboard at port stops, breezed through security check, a more relaxed atmosphere all-around.   Great photo ops of ship spaces due to fewer  passengers onboard.   

Excellent dining room service with NO long waits for anything.  

• Like 2

We enjoyed ordering Lattes early Am while getting ready & having them delivered in about

5 minutes.  Yes you can do on app, but I found the Big TV easier to see & do it there.

One afternoon was tired (we walked 9k steps in San Diego) and hungry.

So I Ordered on the Tv an Alfredos pizza delivered, and a Margarita! 

Too fun. 

I have never done that before & enjoyed the heck outta that perk.

Then watched a few Frasiers.  😆

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 1:29 AM, trey420 said:

Well not everything was open so you still have more people grouped together.  Like one dinning room is closed the symphony.  So we only used the other 2, and half the buffet isn't open.  Never had long wait at the bar.  Must have was princess plus for me.  It's a great deal imo.  At the outside pool bar order an ivory coast, I enjoyed many but could only order it there.

I would LOVE to know the ingredients in an "Ivory Coast". It sounds yummy.

5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Now we winder if we should have taken a earlier cruise than our B3B  on Discovery Princess starting Dec 3 ,2022   ;because of the great service  & space every one enjoyed 

You have plenty of time and cruise options before your Dec of 2022 cruise!

15 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

You have plenty of time and cruise options before your Dec of 2022 cruise!

True just that we booked December because the ship will already be decorated for Christmas  & would look very festive . Since we no longer wish to fly ,we can only do the local cruises from San Diego ,San Pedro ,Long Beach & if we press it drive to San Francisco  to Alaska on Ruby Princess ,the 10 day cruise   .We are on a 19 night Hawaii cruise from SD port Jan 31, 2023 on Holland's Koningsdam   .We are thinking of a 6th Alaska cruise   From SF    May or early June   .Just hoping that the virus subsides enough to loosen the   2 day pre test

• Like 1

Our September cruise on the Majestic was the best cruise ever. Zero complaints from us. The app worked fine for us. No lines, no problems getting seats at any venue. The Hollywood Conservatory is our new favorite spot on the ship.

The buffet was fine. Getting served by crew was better than watching people start to take something, then putting it back. Reservations for Crown Grill were a snap. Elevators were rarely crowded - well, disembarkation morning was bad. We ended up riding an elevator up in order to go down.

Enjoy your cruise. We are on the Regal in December and can't wait.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have to use an electric scooter on the ship. Elevator use is usually a pain -- trying to get into one w/people crowding or waiting until one comes that isn't full.

On the Majestic in Sept. in Alaska it was easy!  If there were already a few people (3-4), they always waited for me or held the doors -- no hostility at all.

Loved that we (3) could easily get reservations in any of the 3 DRs.

Really loved the Conservatory! 

I've never had a favorite Princess ship (I love the fact that they're so very similar that I don't have 'learn' a ship).  But now, the Majestic is my favorite because of the Conservatory.  I may take a Mexican cruise just to be on the Majestic again.

• Like 2