The 3% Club

The Tuxedo on formal night is following the path of the dinosaurs.   I estimate that on most sailings, the number of men in Tuxedos on Gala nights is probably about 3%.   

I may be optimistic.

I enjoy wearing a tux and in an effort to maintain the tradition, I have formed the 3% club.   The only rule is the men have to wear a tux and the women "something fancy"

Our first meeting will be on the Zuiderdam at 4 pm in the Crows Nest on March 2nd.   Anyone onboard is invited - but - there is a dress code of course

image.thumb.png.bebd80320011258eb8a0ef8107fe105d.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Wow, I actually prefer my husband in a suit with what he does with it over a tuxedo.  My preference and he has agreed to it.

The tuxedo has not gone the way of the dinosaur - his is still in the closet but such an invitation seems a bit much to me.  We both dress very well but obviously wouldn’t qualify for your very exclusive party.

• Like 2

My feelings on the subject are this:  I have never owned a tuxedo.  I have never wanted to own a tuxedo.  I would not like to pack a tuxedo and the things that are worn with one with my luggage on a cruise.  I would not consider renting a tuxedo just to wear it to dinner on a ship.  I may not live to see it, but eventually I believe tuxedos will be as out of fashion as the top hat that Abraham Lincoln wore.

Ray

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If I were aboard, I would be there. I always wear either a long formal, or a shorter cocktail dress. Chiffon or georgette are so lightweight, they are easy to pack. They actually weigh less than elegant casual evening wear. 

• Like 10

DH owns a tuxedo, and it has been on cruises - back in the day when we packed near everything we owned.  Since it’s relatively heavy and has much volume, it no longer comes along.  I agree it was nice, but it’s not worth the trouble and added expense in luggage.

• Like 2

I would attend your gathering.  I own my third tuxedo with number 3 being tailor made because I no longer am able to buy an off the rack tuxedo.  I enjoy being dressed in my tux and formal shirt and the bow tie that took me some time to get it on the shirt.  Vest and cumberbund?  No longer wear those; they make me too warm.  

This type of dressing for formal/gala nights may now be "quaint".  But, friends, please remember that history is cyclic.  What is "old today" may become "new tomorrow".  

• Like 10

Actually a tux weighs no more than a sports coat & slacks or a suit.

We enjoy dressing up for formals, aka galas aboard cruise ships. Somewhat of a foreign fashion concept.these days.

Now back to my “Thin Man” movie festival (yea, fashion for both guys and gals).

Have fun Pete. Hugs to Judy.

Be well. 
Bob & Judy

• Like 6

My wife and I are octogenarians. We have graduated from "formal" nights to being comfortable. She may wear a nice dress and I wear a nice sweater with a long-sleeved shirt and nice long pants (never jeans). If being "formal" is your thing, I applaud your efforts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

We have graduated from "formal" nights to being comfortable.

It's not as if the two things are mutually exclusive. Formal clothes, if fitted properly, can be very comfortable. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

The Tuxedo on formal night is following the path of the dinosaurs.   I estimate that on most sailings, the number of men in Tuxedos on Gala nights is probably about 3%.   

I may be optimistic.

I enjoy wearing a tux and in an effort to maintain the tradition, I have formed the 3% club.   The only rule is the men have to wear a tux and the women "something fancy"

Our first meeting will be on the Zuiderdam at 4 pm in the Crows Nest on March 2nd.   Anyone onboard is invited - but - there is a dress code of course

image.thumb.png.bebd80320011258eb8a0ef8107fe105d.png

Love the graphics.  Please post pictures!!

48 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's not as if the two things are mutually exclusive. Formal clothes, if fitted properly, can be very comfortable. 

Completely agree with you, Ruth.  We are both very comfy in dressy clothes.  The fact that DH no longer wears a tux doesn’t mean he doesn’t cut the jib.  He looks pretty outstanding IMO and yes, sometimes with a bow tie and mostly with no boring white shirts, thankfully 😉 

• Like 4

Just an observation...

We just disembarked a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Koningsdam.  Both DH and I were really surprised at how dressed up people were for gala night.  Especially since the Mexico cruises are usually pretty casual.  There were tuxedos in the mix, and a lot of long gowns, which I haven't seen in ages.  

Maybe post-pandemic people are ready to party like it's 1984.  Not sure, but it was nice and....um....gala.

• Like 6

We have always taken the tuxes and cocktail or evening gowns, even for the kids. It has made for some really fantastic family pictures over the years. Not many chances to really dress up anymore sadly. The last work related shin dig for dh that was black-tie was in 2007. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This type of dressing for formal/gala nights may now be "quaint".  But, friends, please remember that history is cyclic.  What is "old today" may become "new tomorrow".  

Would one then consider corsets and bustles "quaint". Please, no.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Corsets don’t have to be uncomfortable if they fit correctly. Mine are actually comfortable. You just have to be willing to “perch” if it’s a long one ( like from the teens). Bustles, too, not necessarily uncomfortable. They typically collapse when you sit down. Having said that, I have no intention of bringing any of my pre-1930s historical clothing onboard. And yes, more than one of my 1930s velvet  dresses have attended a HAL formal night.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The first thing DH does after he finds out I've booked a cruise, is take out his tux and try it on.  I think he's hoping it doesn't fit so he can find a reason to buy a new one.  Seriously, he loves wearing the tux and all that goes with it, as we have so few opportunities to dress up in our daily lives, that it makes "Gala Nights" very special to us.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We would attend if we were there for sure!!  DH used to rent a tuxedo each cruise but it got to be difficult, sizing issues and not as easy to rent. He just recently purchased a dark gray suit and a black shirt, a white shirt, and a dark gray shirt for gala nights and is so happy and loves dressing up. He was one happy man on our Rotterdam cruise and will be on our upcoming Oosterdam cruise. 

Have a great time!

• Like 3