Are there now going to be travel fees to Europe in 2023?

EllieinNJ

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Someone on the other travel forum posted this.  I skimmed it but couldn't find what the cost is.  Anyone familiar with it?

https://www.etiasvisa.com/?fbclid=IwAR0hzC4r3-DD7UxHceCzTezs8bGwIUGbKbzyXPyqwriJkTv7UAtdBkdptSc

5 hours ago, aggie311 said:

Seems like it. According to this site it will be 7 euros for everyone 18+. Free for those under 18. 

https://visaguide.world/online/etias/#how-much-will-an-etias-cost

2 hours ago, masspector said:

Found this on the site.  One application is good for 3 years

Travelers will have to pay for the cost of ETIAS when they complete the ETIAS application form. ETIAS visa waivers will be valid for 3-year periods and will allow people to enter the Schengen Area for periods of up to 90 days (within any 180-day period).

Each of you have cited unofficial sources on websites of commercial visa services (note the .com in each address) , not official EU policy or information about ETIAS. I'm not going to try to determine what's correct or incorrect on them , but you should only rely on official information published by the EU on its websites, which can be identified by the europa.eu domain . Here's where you can find the official information https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/smart-borders/european-travel-information-authorisation-system_en .

You should note that as of today ETIAS is not in operation and no applications are being taken .

"European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS)

Important notice

The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) is currently not in operation and no applications for travel authorisations are collected at this point.

Applicants will be able to apply via an official website and/or app for mobile devices prior to the start of operation of ETIAS and will have to pay a fee of €7.

The date from which travellers will be able to apply will be published on this web site."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yes, it appears that there will be such a fee - seems like 7 euro as of now.  All the information available insists that ETIAS is a visa waiver - and is not a required visa .  But the fact that it will be required makes it a “visa light” - easier to get than a visa, but still REQUIRED FOR ENTRY — which is essentially a definition of a visa.

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, it appears that there will be such a fee - seems like 7 euro as of now.  All the information available insists that ETIAS is a visa waiver - and is not a required visa .  But the fact that it will be required makes it a “visa light” - easier to get than a visa, but still REQUIRED FOR ENTRY — which is essentially a definition of a visa.

Nope its a visa waiver - same as the US does, same as Canada, Australia and NZ - you get a visa waiver basically if you are of good character and the visa waiver process  checks that.   

If you need a visa to come to any of those countries -it involves a whole lot more effort and money 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To be clear it is not a visa waiver to Europe just the Schengen Area. Nothing changes with the non Schengen countries entry requirements. 

And to compound the clarity (or not), don't forget that the Schengen Area does not comprise the same countries as the European Union.  For example, we have a Mediterranean cruise booked for October which includes a number of countries in both organisations, some in neither, one (Croatia) which is in the EU but not a Schengen participant and another (Montenegro) which is NOT in the EU but is in the Schengen area. 

• Like 1

ETIAS Facts
Who: 
visa-exempt visitors travelling to the 26 Schengen Countries.

ETIAS is expected to be fully operational in May 2023.
Payment: €7 for applicants between the ages of 18 and 70.
Valid for three years.

On-line application 

B5F2B351-5F69-461C-A10C-3CEE198F15C2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sekhmet said:

And to compound the clarity (or not), don't forget that the Schengen Area does not comprise the same countries as the European Union.  For example, we have a Mediterranean cruise booked for October which includes a number of countries in both organisations, some in neither, one (Croatia) which is in the EU but not a Schengen participant and another (Montenegro) which is NOT in the EU but is in the Schengen area. 

And then there is the CTA (Common Travel Area) between UK (non EU/non Schengen) and Republic of Ireland (EU/non Schengen).

Travel should always be interesting and exciting!

13 hours ago, lissie said:

Nope its a visa waiver - same as the US does, same as Canada, Australia and NZ - you get a visa waiver basically if you are of good character and the visa waiver process  checks that.   

If you need a visa to come to any of those countries -it involves a whole lot more effort and money 

But it serves essentially the same purpose - it clears you to enter the country/area in question by pre-qualifying.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

ETIAS Facts

Payment: €7 for applicants between the ages of 18 and 70.

I think this was mentioned before.  It just hit me.  I'm getting the senior discount!   That and a bottomless cuppa Joe at Denny's.  Life is good.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A number of countries have instituted.  I expect it is to speed entry, pre clear travellers, and have them absorb some of the security costs.

We have been paying the $20 Australian fee for a number of years.  Last time we landed at Gold Coast Airport we were through immigration in less than 10 minutes.

i expect that more countries will go this route.  A number are also taking digital fingerprint scans when you enter the country.

Edited by iancal

On 6/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, aggie311 said:

Seems like it. According to this site it will be 7 euros for everyone 18+. Free for those under 18. 

https://visaguide.world/online/etias/#how-much-will-an-etias-cost

Considering the cost of the cruise and what optional stuff you buy on your trip, I would think that an additional 7 E expense is hardly worth worrying about.

DON

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Considering the cost of the cruise and what optional stuff you buy on your trip, I would think that an additional 7 E expense is hardly worth worrying about.

DON

I and I think everyone else on this thread agrees.   I just hope it does not involve too much red tape.  

Cannot speak to the european one.  The Australian one took us all of five minutes to fill out.  We had the req’d documentation at hand.  Five or ten minutes later at the most we had the electronic approval.

Last time we landed at Gold Coast, Australia the agent saw our edoc.  He asked us jokingly if we were smuggling in any maple syrup and then waved us through.  It was that fast.

21 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

While it might not make or break some one's European trip, it doesn't mean people aren't going to be annoyed at having another expense on top of all the other expenses. There are a lot of other things I would rather be spending €7 on than a fee😂

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

While it might not make or break some one's European trip, it doesn't mean people aren't going to be annoyed at having another expense on top of all the other expenses. There are a lot of other things I would rather be spending €7 on than a fee😂

Maybe spend it on part payment of the $21 fee to visit USA?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Remind me again how much we would have to pay before entering your country?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1