September cruises

lpmom

These are completely different...how can we decide for you if you can't. I have gone on both these itineraries at this approx time. I wouldn't even consider comparing the two...apples to oranges.

• Like 3

Early September in New England is still "summer".  It's the best time to go to the beaches and once schools are back in session, Cape Cod and the islands (Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket) are perfect for a perfect uncrowded beach day.  We  take a cottage on Martha's Vineyard the week after Labor Day. You won't find any leaf peepers yet as the only color on the trees you'll see in early Sept is green.  But if you're taking a cruise to NE, I would not prioritize going to a beach. Depending on which ports you visit, it's much more a "site seeing" experience.  Newport, Boston, Portland, just to mention a few......lots of historical sites to visit. And being September,  there's less of a possibility of having to alter course because of a hurricane that might effect a Caribbean cruise.

• Haha 1

I've heard both good and bad things abut taking a cruise from Baltimore. Anyone have an opinion on Grandeur of the Seas New England cruise because I'm leaning toward that one in September

3 minutes ago, lpmom said:

I've heard both good and bad things abut taking a cruise from Baltimore. Anyone have an opinion on Grandeur of the Seas New England cruise because I'm leaning toward that one in September

Cruising from Baltimore is great in the winter, but if you want to see New England, it would be better to sail from Boston (perhaps spending time on land before or after);  or a one way from Quebec to Boston or NY.  Additionally, we found Grandeur to be a bit tired in February.

14 hours ago, lpmom said:

one of our favorite ships, ports and itineraries.  despite being  out on the sticks, it is one of the easiest ports to get to and check in at.   and really, Inner harbor is only about 20 minutes away.  same with the airport.  

it will skew less families and more older adults and a lot of locals.  

14 hours ago, davekathy said:

Doing a 14 night New England/Canada cruise on the Summit 8 September 2019. 

14 hours ago, davekathy said:

Doing a 14 night New England/Canada cruise on the Summit 8 September 2019. 

I would love to book this cruise,however,we go to 2 911 memorial  services every year.One of our grand daughters will be  singing at one of them as she has been doing for the past 9 years .

It will be a great cruise.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, lpmom said:

I'm curious what bad things you've heard.  Sailing on Grandeur, out of Baltimore, is one of our favorite ways to cruise.  We've done CNE several times, and always enjoy it.  The ship does not have wave riders or other adventure things (it does have a climbing wall and two pools), but we like it that way.  More traditional, with a full promenade deck and other nice features. And the port is one of the easiest to board and disembark from.

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2019 at 10:43 AM, dkjretired said:

New England, one word Hurricanes 

Guessing you haven't heard of the movie, based on fact (friend was a technical advisor on the movie, as he played a critical role in the actual event), called "The Perfect Storm".

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Guessing you haven't heard of the movie, based on fact (friend was a technical advisor on the movie, as he played a critical role in the actual event), called "The Perfect Storm".

Read the book, saw the movie but as the story goes this was very, very rare. Hurricanes in the Caribbean are common, you’re comparing Apples and Oranges.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, dkjretired said:

New England, one word Hurricanes 

Geez, and I thought they had hurricanes in the Caribbean!   We have done many cruises in both the Caribbean and Canada/NE and enjoy them both.  But lets deal in some facts.  The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June into early November!  It is just a fact of life and for those of us who do a lot of traveling it is just a fact of life.  

As to comparing a NE/Canada cruise with a Caribbean cruise they are both great options.  One should make their own decision based on their own "wants" and schedule.  When we cruise in the Caribbean (which we have done regularly for over forty years) we often do not bother getting off the ship in many ports.  The Caribbean is primarily about sun, sand and the water...although there are certainly some other tourist attractions at most ports.  NE/Canada cruises go to some fantastic ports where there are more options....especially for those looking for more then sun/sand/ and beaches.  Just keep in mind that if you go to NE/Canada in September you are not going to see the colorful foliage which is a strong attraction for many.  Sept is a bit early....but it can be the perfect time of the year when it comes to temperature and weather.  The truth is that getting good or bad weather is like rolling the dice.

Since the OP is from GA, they might really get a lot out of NE/Canada trip.  Consider extending your trip for some land time at your embarking/disembarking port(s).  Cruises tend to use ports like NYC, Boston, and Quebec City which are all fabulous places to spend some land time.

Hank

1 hour ago, George C said:

Love Caribbean have done that 50 times but we avoid hurricane season so I would pick New England 

Of course the Caribbean cruise area (Eastern, Southern and Western) is much larger than that in New England (essentially a few hundred mile long narrow strip of Northeast coastline) so, while there might be more hurricanes in the Caribbean overall, the chances are that a particular New England itinerary is as likely to be impacted as any given Caribbean itinerary.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Geez, and I thought they had hurricanes in the Caribbean!   We have done many cruises in both the Caribbean and Canada/NE and enjoy them both.  But lets deal in some facts.  The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June into early November!  It is just a fact of life and for those of us who do a lot of traveling it is just a fact of life.  

As to comparing a NE/Canada cruise with a Caribbean cruise they are both great options.  One should make their own decision based on their own "wants" and schedule.  When we cruise in the Caribbean (which we have done regularly for over forty years) we often do not bother getting off the ship in many ports.  The Caribbean is primarily about sun, sand and the water...although there are certainly some other tourist attractions at most ports.  NE/Canada cruises go to some fantastic ports where there are more options....especially for those looking for more then sun/sand/ and beaches.  Just keep in mind that if you go to NE/Canada in September you are not going to see the colorful foliage which is a strong attraction for many.  Sept is a bit early....but it can be the perfect time of the year when it comes to temperature and weather.  The truth is that getting good or bad weather is like rolling the dice.

Since the OP is from GA, they might really get a lot out of NE/Canada trip.  Consider extending your trip for some land time at your embarking/disembarking port(s).  Cruises tend to use ports like NYC, Boston, and Quebec City which are all fabulous places to spend some land time.

Hank

Hi Hank:

i think you you misunderstood me, I meant my choice of the two in the question was New England because of hurricanes.