Jim_Iain – Edge Live Post – B2B – Greek Islands and West Bound TransAtlantic

Jim_Iain

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Back to the ship at 2:00 pm.  

FC89EF11-4417-4C6E-B103-2EAAB99D5E39.thumb.jpeg.981ff94a2411e4139ef62768889175a4.jpeg

B32816C5-F3B8-403D-810E-58D1F475D95E.thumb.jpeg.eb5df1ab556bb8ae58b689a02865750a.jpeg

AAF9087E-E607-40A3-8571-319AB5E006D3.thumb.jpeg.50a4fa28de13385020f05e8f8a40a1b3.jpeg

F2070DAA-7E7E-4ECF-91C9-9C5393D48348.thumb.jpeg.6af94b2c211ee00beb1e122fa54d5b03.jpeg

Thanks so much for being the "nerd" and taking the time and energy to post as this is helpful for those of us taking the same trip next year!  Question---were there any waits for the tender with the magic carpet?  Your photos are incredible.  Also, don't know if you can answer this question but was the water temperature warm enough to swim or did you see anyone in the water?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aly7859 said:

Thanks so much for being the "nerd" and taking the time and energy to post as this is helpful for those of us taking the same trip next year!  Question---were there any waits for the tender with the magic carpet?  Your photos are incredible.  Also, don't know if you can answer this question but was the water temperature warm enough to swim or did you see anyone in the water?

The sea temperature in Santorini is 73 f today.   Really didn’t see anywhere to swim here.   The cliffs dropped off into the sea in most areas.   I did notice they had some tours to some hot springs with a chance to take a plunge.  

Tours had no waiting for Tenders.   Regular tenders did have waiting and prioritizing took place for suites, Zenith and Elite and above.  Not sure when open tenders began.   I’ll ask in the retreat this evening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

The sea temperature in Santorini is 73 f today.   Really didn’t see anywhere to swim here.   The cliffs dropped off into the sea in most areas.   I did notice they had some tours to some hot springs with a chance to take a plunge.  

Tours had no waiting for Tenders.   Regular tenders did have waiting and prioritizing took place for suites, Zenith and Elite and above.  Not sure when open tenders began.   I’ll ask in the retreat this evening. 

You are the best thanks so much!  We are elite but our travel companions are not so just curious.  Hot springs does sound wonderful.

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Back to the ship at 2:00 pm.  

FC89EF11-4417-4C6E-B103-2EAAB99D5E39.thumb.jpeg.981ff94a2411e4139ef62768889175a4.jpeg

B32816C5-F3B8-403D-810E-58D1F475D95E.thumb.jpeg.eb5df1ab556bb8ae58b689a02865750a.jpeg

AAF9087E-E607-40A3-8571-319AB5E006D3.thumb.jpeg.50a4fa28de13385020f05e8f8a40a1b3.jpeg

F2070DAA-7E7E-4ECF-91C9-9C5393D48348.thumb.jpeg.6af94b2c211ee00beb1e122fa54d5b03.jpeg

Beautiful!! The excursion I chose a couple of years ago was out to the caldera and a hot springs swim and we were given cable car tickets to go to Fira and back. My one regret was not going to Oia - so that makes another Greece itinerary high on my "do it again" list!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Like you I am a non-smoker but Iain enjoys the smoking areas.    I've been down there with him and you are right I didn't feel like I was in a big smoke cloud.   

Hi, Jim, thanks for taking us along on your first cruise on Edge!  I've a question about this smoking area about which you've spoken as my daughter and her significant other are sailing Edge in December 2020.  Where is it located?  Is there any interior smoking are on board?  Thanks in advance.

Donna

1 hour ago, GeorgesGal said:

Hi, Jim, thanks for taking us along on your first cruise on Edge!  I've a question about this smoking area about which you've spoken as my daughter and her significant other are sailing Edge in December 2020.  Where is it located?  Is there any interior smoking are on board?  Thanks in advance.

Donna

There is no interior smoking on the ship.   The large smoking area is located on a balcony (fully covered and protected from wind). In between pool Deck and the deck where you enter the martini glass hot tub.   You enter on Starboard next to pool bar.  There is no elevator access to this one.   There is also a protected smoking area 5th floor port side near eden.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I checked a couple things in our CS this evening.  

Bed - is a true  American King Size  60x80 but rounded corners.

Safe - much smaller than other ships.  About 9” wide by 4 1/2 tall inside  

3A81EB3E-5D05-4144-BCD5-15D444D12B03.thumb.jpeg.015a9c93875643a9d3344691658f6bfe.jpeg

90BC65B4-E1AE-4EAF-B2CA-5469775B2446.jpeg

Oops.  The bed is 76 inches wide.  

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Having a great day.  The guide started telling us how to get back to the ship via donkey or tram.  She was quickly corrected and she called her office to let them know.  She explained that they had given her the incorrect itinerary. 

We were given the option of returning by bus or on our own.  If you chose on your own you had to sign a waiver.  About 1/4 of our group opted fo the on their own. 

The guide said they canceled the crater visit so we would have more time.  No I be seemed to mind. 

We did the same excursion  when we were there..your photos are exceptional.

Saw some of the very same things but it never gets old!

Nice touch by X using the magic carpet portal for tenders...

Edited by hcat

Lovely pictures Jim of Santorini and Oia  I'm seeing what I will be missing on my Greek cruise next October I really thought I was going there but we're going to Rhodes instead , I'm so disappointed but living it through your pictures and the pictures of your ship in the distance looks fantastic.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Lovely pictures Jim of Santorini and Oia  I'm seeing what I will be missing on my Greek cruise next October I really thought I was going there but we're going to Rhodes instead , I'm so disappointed but living it through your pictures and the pictures of your ship in the distance looks fantastic.

Sorry you will miss Santorini  esp after seeing  Jim,'s photos and reading  the wonderful review...

but Rhodes is a great port  too.  The historic city was amazing. We had a walking tour and learned so much about the  crusades, knights, politics etc and enjoyed the synagogue. Food at a lovely  lunch cafe  was fabulous,  (strong coffee ),  as was the shopping....Bring cash for some nice silver jewelry.  They did have other exursions that looked tempting but glad we chose this one.

The sail in is not to be missed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sorry you will miss Santorini  esp after seeing  Jim,'s photos and reading  the wonderful review...

but Rhodes is a great port  too.  The historic city was amazing. We had a walking tour and learned so much about the  crusades, knights, politics etc and enjoyed the synagogue. Food at a lovely  lunch cafe  was fabulous,  (strong coffee ),  as was the shopping....Bring cash for some nice silver jewelry.  They did have other exursions that looked tempting but glad we chose this one.

The sail in is not to be missed!

Agree! Rhodes was amazing! I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, but it was stunning and less touristy (at least when we were there). We hired a tour guide for 4 of us and had a wonderful day. The Valley of the Butterflies was unbelievable (a lovely walk through the woods with tens of thousands of butterflies camouflaged on the trees) and the Old City was amazing (we went early and enjoyed a quiet walk through).  Also went to a local winery/brewery/olive place - lots of tasting (and buying 😉). We were dropped on the waterfront at the end of the tour and walked into a local cafe near the ship with a gorgeous view of the ocean.  Had an authentic Greek lunch with the natives. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is fabulous. Thankyou.  We are doing this exact cruise July next year. 
A suggestion - maybe people could stop quoting the complete text and pictures to save data? Just need to see them once in the original post. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, hcat said:

We did the same excursion  when we were there..your photos are exceptional.

Saw some of the very same things but it never gets old!

Nice touch by X using the magic carpet portal for tenders...

The Magic Carpet really works well.   You still had to climb down a flight of steps from the Destination Getaway on deck 2.    When returning to the ship, they have the Destination Getaway setup with security -   really large open area and helps speed up the return of the ship.   In my opinion it is a real win.

Thank you hcat and vtcruising for your information on Rhodes the valley of the butterflies sounds amazing something I would like to do you've picked me up now , Jim's photos are lovely of Oia I will make sure next time we do a Greek cruise Santorini is on the schedule 😉.

• Like 1