Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks. I fell good about starting soon, I just can’t figure out how long it takes for the application.  Example, if I want payments to start in March do I have the option to apply now but hold the start until March.  Or if I want to start January do I need to apply now because it will take two months to process.  I guess my question is when to apply and how long is the process.  If I put off SS to long, I will have to limit cruising! 😳 😮 😯 and we all know what that would be like! 

What I like about our state is that they don’t tax SS.  

I applied 2 months before my 66th birthday and stated I wanted to have my first direct deposit at 66 and 2 months.  There is indeed an option to pick for that.  It was really quite simple.  Waiting for them to approve the payments was frustrating, not sure why I had to wait for an official answer, but it was of course approved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Age goes against you in the UK too.

I went to the hospital Dermatology outpatient department this afternoon for what I thought was to get my Basal cell carcinoma removed.

Disappointingly the consultant just had a quick look filled a form in which is difficult to read and said it would be done after Christmas in a hospital theatre.

Graham.

Graham, so sorry you had that disappointment.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Age goes against you in the UK too.

I went to the hospital Dermatology outpatient department this afternoon for what I thought was to get my Basal cell carcinoma removed.

Disappointingly the consultant just had a quick look filled a form in which is difficult to read and said it would be done after Christmas in a hospital theatre.

Graham.

Oh, Graham, what a disappointing experience, to go to Dermatology expecting to have your procedure done today, only to be told you'll be dealt with after Christmas.  

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Due to the Parkinsons my hands shake too much 

Lenny, I'm so sorry to hear you have Parkinsons.  Jim's dad had it years ago.  Two of our friends also have Parkinsons.  Damn crappy disease...

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If CC lets me post, just a quick update. Owen is feeling 100%. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

So glad to hear that Owen is feeling great!  Thank you for the update,  Enjoy his many games!

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky still beat me on the monthly check by one dollar...sheeezz...always the one up's man.  😄 

LOL, Pat.  Our PA told me I beat out Jim with regard to our blood work😉

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I "think" I remember reading that Neil has parkinson's disease. That may be affecting his ability to sing. I think he became too flashy as time went on with his dress and the spin he put on his classic songs. I didn't really care for the transformation.

Melanie was very pretty back in her prime.

Melanie really was!!  I loved her singing, and loved her great personality with the way she talked to the audience.  Of course, when we saw her last year, she still has her wonderful way with the audience;  just not the same voice😢

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If CC lets me post, just a quick update. Owen is feeling 100%. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Owen had a few practices for football, and a hockey game last night.  Semi-finals for football happen tomorrow.  He had a few quizzes too and a test tomorrow. 90% on math and 97% French verbal test.

Friday we depart for another hockey tournament.  Thankfully it’s only 2 hours from home. It never seems to end but in a good way. Hopefully I can post photos later tonight. That is if CC works. 

Glad to hear that he he recovered so quickly!!! Congrats on the stellar grades!

11 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

My knowledge about hockey is limited to say the least.

I do not know hockey either, Dani!  My granddaughters play high school field hockey.  We were able to watch Meghan's Championship game on YouTube the other day, and after talking to my daughter on the phone, I mentioned that I didn't know the girls from the other team could go into the Net with the Goalie to prevent the other team from scoring.  My daughter was surprised I didn't know this.

I've coached girls basketball, and girls Little League softball.  Those sports, I understand.

• Like 1

MaryAnn:

Melanie was born in Queens 74 years ago.I have been a long time fan of hers.In 2008 I saw her at a Hippiefest concert.She and many other performers stayed afterward to speak to those of us who came to the concert.I told her that I have the very first album that she released.

She was amazed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Out of all the Dylan songs I only have four or five I really like. "Lay Lady Lay" (1969) is my all time favorite. 

Don't laugh but I thought that song "belonged" to Eric Clapton. 

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

1987. I don't know if you can call it "computer", though. It was a "computer" manufactured by Wang Laboratories -- actually a whole word processor. I thoroughly enjoyed working with it. At the time, WordPerfect was Wang's competitor.

A "'real" computer came at the beginning of the nineties, an IBM 286. We bought an "internet" hourly package, and were very thrifty with the time we used it -- mainly for travel.

Then came 386, 486 and afterwards -- no more numbers, just names, which I don't remember...

DH bought us our first computer.  I think it was in the late 90's, a Gateway with Win 95.  I can't remember when we actually got internet service but I do know it was AOL.  It was so exciting to hear that buzzing sound. 

6 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

My daughter did lots of homework assignments using online encyclopedia Encarta.

Encarta was one of the CDs that came with the newer systems (think Win 98), along with Bach, Mozart, and some type of Maps cd.  No way to look up anything online with that slow dial-up service we had. Looking up stuff online is my part time job.  Too bad I don't get paid for it. 

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Then he goes, why did you wait so long to start your payments you lost 8 months of payments........I started to talk and he said "Your done, anything else?"  I gave him the look and had there not been a security guard there I would have got on my broom and told him how unhappy I was with his lack of unprofessional-ism.

You are a nicer person than me.  I would have hit him with said broom.

3 hours ago, George C said:

I know from my HR wife that’s it’s illegal to even ask your age here.

It has been illegal here in RI for as long as I can remember.  Back when I started working (35+ years ago) I worked for a place that asked if you had collected workers' comp.  Another "no no" that I learned a few years later.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Went and picked up the Christmas present that was a big hit last year, Advent calendar craft beer boxes!  I had to order them almost two months ago as they sell out. Decided to get one for my sister’s three kids this year, as well as my son. Delivering them on Thanksgiving. 😀

A7DF7307-F6F9-4B43-A95F-69773AD36209.jpeg

Can I ask where you bought them?  DH likes craft beers.  Probably too late for this year but I can start my shopping list for next year.

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Jack and I figured out the trick for shorter wait at the Soc. Sec. office pre-covid.  We arrived 10 mins before closing when the office was only open half a day until 1. Apparently, others knew when it closed and didn't bother coming in close to closing time. Office was almost empty.  We had less than a 10 min. wait.  They continue working with you beyond 1pm, they just lock the doors at 1.

We used the same trick for our registry here.  Upside was that you might only have to wait 2 hours instead of the typical 4.  My DH said a friend told him the appointment only process they have now have works well.  Personally, I'm not sure how well it works when you actually work and are trying to score one of the appointments.  I don't understand why it took 4 hours in the first place but that was the way of life here since I started driving.  In later years the ticket would tell you how long so at least you could run an errand if you dared.

59 minutes ago, island lady said:

I would definitely look into replacement card online, if it ever happens again...I think I saw that feature the last time I was on there.  

Anything to stay out of that Feds building.  😮 

DH finally applied for a duplicate card online only because he (me) could do it online.  About 10 years ago I printed out the docs for him to bring to the ss office.  He didn't need the card so it never happened.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sheal said:

Can I ask where you bought them?  DH likes craft beers.  Probably too late for this year but I can start my shopping list for next year.

I got them at Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, MA.  That location has been sold out of the craft beer boxes for a few weeks.  This year there were four different types of boxes: craft beer, seltzers, ciders and IPAs.  That store is a really good source for hard to find craft beer.

There are other locations too but not sure which boxes they have and whether they are sold out.  The online inventory is usually very accurate and I did see it update when I bought my four boxes.

https://craftbeercellar.com/

Total Wine has some advent beer boxes too.  Aldi and Costco have them every year too but they sell out immediately and are available September-ish.  I have seen wine ones too but most are little two ounce test tubes of wine and the wine drinker I would get one for is very particular, so not worth the money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks. I fell good about starting soon, I just can’t figure out how long it takes for the application.  Example, if I want payments to start in March do I have the option to apply now but hold the start until March.  Or if I want to start January do I need to apply now because it will take two months to process.  I guess my question is when to apply and how long is the process.  If I put off SS to long, I will have to limit cruising! 😳 😮 😯 and we all know what that would be like! 

What I like about our state is that they don’t tax SS.  

I presume your SS is your state pension ?

Here in the UK you can claim your pension from 66 or defer it for a larger amount later.

You can check your entitlement and contribution record on line and claim it on line too. 

Most people have company pensions too,  which can be taken anytime from 55. But the earlier you take it the smaller it is so in practice most people don't take it till their mid 60s 

• Like 3

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested. This travel writer was assigned to the cruise I was on back in '19 to cover the journey to see the Northern Lights. Well, as it turned out - and as some of you may be familiar with the tale - things went really bad on the return trip as we headed south along the coast of Norway. We never got to finish the trip, which was supposed to end in Tilbury. We were actually lucky to come out of it alive. Anyway, he wrote a book about his experience on the ship (but also brings in other facets of his life, etc.) I haven't bought it yet, but plan to. It seems like something I should have, having been on the cruise. 

https://www.amazon.com/Passenger-Travel-Learned-Cruises-Sinking/dp/1567926975

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Well,  eventually I realized life is too short so, I stopped working and  I went and completed all the forms on line and SS verified and stated my first payment would be in 2 months if  get this...........

I had to report to the SS office in Trumbull county with the one form that would not be accepted online, that being, what percent of taxes do I want withheld.

Going to the SS office is something I really want to avoid.  Crazy that made you go in for that. 

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Here’s how it worked for me.  I turned 62 in March of 2019 and decided to start collecting then.  I filed online, thinking I’d get my first payment in April.  However, I was “eligible” the month after turning 62 (April) but your first payment isn’t until the month after you are “eligible”.  Okay, so now I’m thinking May 1st.  Nope, it depends on what day of the month your birthday falls on.  Mine is the 21st, therefore my first payment wasn’t until May 28th!  My payments are direct deposited anytime from the 26th to the 30th of each month.  

Thanks.  I believe I have that down.   Mine is the 23rd of March so I believe we are in the same pay period. 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I applied 2 months before my 66th birthday and stated I wanted to have my first direct deposit at 66 and 2 months.  There is indeed an option to pick for that.  It was really quite simple.  Waiting for them to approve the payments was frustrating, not sure why I had to wait for an official answer, but it was of course approved. 

This is encouraging.  I have My SS account set up.  Knowing there is an option is good.  Sounds like I can go ahead and apply now and then pick my start date.  This is what I was looking for.  I didn’t want to fill out the application then find out in the end I had no choice in when it would start.  Based on my date of birth my full is 66 and 4 months which is July.  I understand there is a bigger check if I wait even long but we would be content even if we started today.  We would rather enjoy it now while we can.  Do to taxes we have not started drawing yet.  And with the 5.9% I can see some of us buying the UDP who may not of before!  😊 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I presume your SS is your state pension ?

Here in the UK you can claim your pension from 66 or defer it for a larger amount later.

You can check your entitlement and contribution record on line and claim it on line too. 

Most people have company pensions too,  which can be taken anytime from 55. But the earlier you take it the smaller it is so in practice most people don't take it till their mid 60s 

SS is Social Security which is a federal pension plan.  While you work they tax you about 6.5% and your employer matches it.  It sounds like a similar system except in the US you can start drawing at 62 and it will grow to a larger amount up to 70.

I also receive a state pension because I was employed by the state for 35 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Me too, when will people stop making fun of that 😞

I agree. Nothing wrong with having an old email. Not sure what their issue is.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Her name is Gloria.She is still around.I was not aware that I only tell half stories.

So what is the other half of the story, as in her last name? Gloria doesn’t really tell me much. Ok, no more questions to you when you only give half the info. No time for it. 🙄

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Lenny, would you pls. try to "multi-quote" like me ?

I'm afraid that posters are beginning to dread 10 new pages every day, and some of them will just give up.

I really don't want to break any record of the "longest thread" and I'm in no competition with anyone....

A BIG THANKS !!! 🌷

That and when someone writes one sentence and usually puts at least 2 lines before the next sentence. 10 sentences can take up half the page and they aren’t even quoting someone, but just talking about whatever it is. 🙄

Edited by ReneeFLL

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

To ,Dani,Bonnie,et al.I will no longer quote anyone.I have posted more than once that due to my disabilities I cannot use a computer.I am in bed 21 hours a day and use a special tablet.

Due to the Parkinsons my hands shake too much to even try to do multiple quotes.

Just to type the above it takes me quite a long time .I will read posts and if I wish to reply to somebody I will post it in the box.

Thats just fine Lenny.   You are doing great.    😍

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A few pictures from our road trip home from Parry Sound. 

We woke to this. 

FFFDD7F5-017A-4D1A-9B13-BE55F8A54759.thumb.jpeg.bbb3d38927ca49aeafee601260db74f2.jpeg

The highway (interstate) looked like this. Worse at other points. You don’t want to slide off this road. 

3F89E2DD-22AA-4671-9ACC-6D16961575CF.thumb.jpeg.9af38efb2dd6977f17990b0b32d6ce31.jpeg

496601CE-F0F8-4A5F-952F-EDE7E7883C86.thumb.jpeg.7dd67045391a9eaf14c73d4a6410c72c.jpeg

The road crew’s salt and the sun helped to reveal the road. 

1CFC61FC-9B7A-4991-9CD9-6DACA253FD4B.thumb.jpeg.dfd7708f8329940f217ba140a8bbc0e2.jpeg

@island lady future cottage island rentals abound up here. Bring your bird feeders. 😁

75AF67E8-239C-4B4F-9F33-FEFB6369D2F7.thumb.jpeg.7cae116bb3d6483be201e345991b434e.jpeg

• Like 13

Glad to be home on sofa with tv on and a big glass of wine.  We are crazy busy at work this month with everyone wanting to close on their new homes before the holidays.

I hear it was nice today but I barely had time for lunch. Hopefully tomorrow I can take a break and at least go for a walk outside.

• Like 6