Any signs of bankrupcy for any major cruiselines?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am certainly willing to concede that the US is capable of pulling shenanigans, but what did the US do to make the SST a non-economic enterprise?

I suppose I was thinking of the difficulties that were encountered at first in getting permission to operate out of JFK.

To be fair, I was perhaps a little unfair in my accusation. 

Concorde was an engineering marvel, but an economic disaster.

53 minutes ago, jocap said:

I was going to ask that question! 🤣

Current American pop singers you will likely catch performing at ship theaters once they pass their prime and can no longer crack the top 40 hit charts.

Edited by sfaaa
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suppose I was thinking of the difficulties that were encountered at first in getting permission to operate out of JFK.

To be fair, I was perhaps a little unfair in my accusation. 

Concorde was an engineering marvel, but an economic disaster.

Not surprising - I had to negotiate with the New York Port Authority (who oversees JFK) - and they were never easy to deal with. I do recall some hassle over concerns about “sonic boom” making flight over land a bone of contention.  But I think most countries restricted supersonic flights over land for that reason.

Agreed - a beautiful machine, but hard to justify its operating cost for the hours saved.  Most business travelers between New York and London who were traveling to really accomplish something (and not just ego-massaging) knew that they would be more productive after sleeping in less-expensive first or business class than getting off a flight and rushing to a meeting.

It is somewhat comparable to there not being a demand for four day ship crossings - speed is not everything.

39 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Current American pop singers you will likely catch performing at ship theaters once they pass their prime and can no longer crack the top 40 hit charts.

In the case of Beyonce, she's probably rich enough to buy her own cruise ship.

And, talking about an irrelevance like the Top 40 is a sign of  being  out of touch.You dont make $81million, as Beyonce did last year, just by selling a few records and down loads, and accumulating personal wealth in excess of $500 million. 

Oh, and Katy Perry, that "unknown singer" earnt just under $60 million last year! 

Edited by wowzz

On 7/20/2020 at 10:09 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I can find climbing walls, go karts, bowling alleys and skating rinks elsewhere.  This fascination with “new” is kind of pathetic — Beethoven’s Ninth has been around for a while - and still seems able to stir the soul.  Where will Katy Perry’s and Beyoncé’s works be a hundred years from now?

100 years from now:  Katy Perry?  Beyonce?  Unless one is studying music history, the question would probably be:  Who?  Ludwig will still be known.  

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, Hlitner said:

Lets be honest, very few (perhaps nobody) could have predicted the impact of COVID.  In fact

I vote for "nobody" in your comment.  The world's "pants were caught down" this Winter and we have yet to be able to figure out how to properly "pull them up".

etting back to the topic of cruise line executives it is just not reasonable for us to expect them to find reasonable solutions given the current structure of ships and the cruise industry.

I believe that the cruise line executives are trying to do the best they can to salvage their business and industry and to preserve their own economic interests in their companies.  

Will what they have and are doing be successful?  Was there a "different path" that might have been more successful?  Stay tuned.  That is why we have a category of scholars in this world called historians.  The amount of 21st Century topics/concerns/issues, etc. for future historians to research is abundant.  With more topics/concerns/issues on the horizon, I believe.  

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I vote for "nobody" in your comment.  The world's "pants were caught down" this Winter and we have yet to be able to figure out how to properly "pull them up".

I believe that the cruise line executives are trying to do the best they can to salvage their business and industry and to preserve their own economic interests in their companies.  

Will what they have and are doing be successful?  Was there a "different path" that might have been more successful?  Stay tuned.  That is why we have a category of scholars in this world called historians.  The amount of 21st Century topics/concerns/issues, etc. for future historians to research is abundant.  With more topics/concerns/issues on the horizon, I believe.  

Well said — of course, Monty Python was a tad more succinct with “Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition”.  

Pandemics have a way of sneaking up on the unprepared - and even after it came, can anyone suggest how they might have prepared?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

100 years from now:  Katy Perry?  Beyonce?  Unless one is studying music history, the question would probably be:  Who?  Ludwig will still be known.  

Beyonce absolutely she is a genius. Katy Perry perhaps less so. Anyway around the world more people have never heard of Beethoven than have heard of him. The world is comprised of more than Western European culture😉. Besides we can't live in the past forever. We have lots of great modern composers we should be appreciating. 

On 7/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, iancal said:

some of whom would be foolish enough to board a cruise ship today if they could,

It seems those people have gotten a lot quieter 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

"Ludwig will still be known"

I doubt too many have even seen his paintings.   

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, clo said:

It seems those people have gotten a lot quieter 🙂

The reason for that may be that they are bullied!

Since I have to be close to more people at work than on a cruise why should I feel that it's okay to go to work but not to go on a cruise? I should not fly to Florida for a cruise right now but I shouldn't be afraid to go on a cruise on the Baltic Sea tomorrow if that was on option.

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Since I have to be close to more people at work than on a cruise why should I feel that it's okay to go to work but not to go on a cruise? I should not fly to Florida for a cruise right now but I shouldn't be afraid to go on a cruise on the Baltic Sea tomorrow if that was on option.

While I won't be getting on a ship for quite a while yet, that is because I want to see how this virus behaves in the coming winter, and more specifically, how the cruise lines cope with the combination of making things both safe and enjoyable.

So I certainly won't be bullying anyone who wants to cruise ASAP - I'm keeping fingers crossed that they all come back saying, "see - told you it would be OK".

Let's face it - somebody has to be prepared to start again, even if only to prove the more timid of us (me) wrong.

I think this is where the expedition cruises, such as Hurtigruten, will have an enourmous advantage, as their ships are targeted at the destinations, not the on-board-holiday. Their passengers will not be bothered about no parties, shows etc - as long as the destinations accept visitors, and as long as the on-board information continues, they will continue.

10 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I thought you were a teacher - at what sort of school, where you would be closer to more than the thousands of people you are close to on a large cruise ship?

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I thought you were a teacher - at what sort of school, where you would be closer to more than the thousands of people you are close to on a large cruise ship?

I'm close to 2-3 persons during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Most of them are the same for every meal so that's maybe 4 persons. The Yacht Club sun deck and lounge is not crowded so no need to be close to any other passengers there. I may be close to maybe 3 more people in the staff during the day. So defenitely less than 10 people I have to be close to if I make an effort to stay away from people as much as possible during a cruise day. That is not the cruiseexperience I prefer but if I have to keep distance I can on a cruise but it's harder at work.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:29 PM, ldubs said:

"Ludwig will still be known"

I doubt too many have even seen his paintings.   

Have no knowledge of Beethoven's ability in art, but his music will, I hope, lift the spirits of those whom hear it in the many years ahead.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Have no knowledge of Beethoven's ability in art, but his music will, I hope, lift the spirits of those whom hear it in the many years ahead.  

My comment was intended to be humorous.  Besides, I like Monet's music a lot more than Beethoven's.   

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

My comment was intended to be humorous.  Besides, I like Monet's music a lot more than Beethoven's.   

Having been to his gardens with DW, I like Monet's gardens better also.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

I understand.  When I was in college, I had to take an "arts appreciation course" with a choice of Theater, Art, and Music.  I chose Music.  Never regretted doing so.  But, my liberal arts education would have been enhanced if I had also chosen the other two as electives.  

• Thanks 1