Now the sadness is starting :(

reeinaz

I was relieved when my April cruise was cancelled. It meant I didn't have to make the decision to go or not. I wasn't surprised when my August and September cruises were cancelled and had actually purchased a puppy, "knowing" that I wouldn't be going anywhere this summer. I was disappointed when my October cruise was cancelled because I really thought cruising would be back by then. Now I'm sad from deciding that I'm cancelling my 2 week December cruise this weekend because I wouldn't go on a 2 week cruise anytime soon. I have a 4 day cruise in mid January that I am PRAYING sails. But I made sure to purchase a refundable plane ticket just in case. All of these cruises were booked pre COVID so I've been looking forward to them for a while after my very first cruise last December.

What has been your emotional rollercoaster as it pertains to cruising/not cruising during this time?

I wouldn't say I've had any emotional rollercoaster about cruising. It became obvious to me a few months back that I wasn't cruising anywhere anytime soon. So, at this point, I've lived with this for some time. I've got one booked for 10/31/2021, but I'm only about 50% confident on that being a go. 

Not too much sadness as of yet.  When my spring cruise was cancelled and I got a full refund I felt relieved that I didn't lose money.  Now my major emotions are a bit of impatience with respect to travel and boredom with the being largely at home 24x7.

1 hour ago, reeinaz said:

I was relieved when my April cruise was cancelled. It meant I didn't have to make the decision to go or not. I wasn't surprised when my August and September cruises were cancelled and had actually purchased a puppy, "knowing" that I wouldn't be going anywhere this summer. I was disappointed when my October cruise was cancelled because I really thought cruising would be back by then. Now I'm sad from deciding that I'm cancelling my 2 week December cruise this weekend because I wouldn't go on a 2 week cruise anytime soon. I have a 4 day cruise in mid January that I am PRAYING sails. But I made sure to purchase a refundable plane ticket just in case. All of these cruises were booked pre COVID so I've been looking forward to them for a while after my very first cruise last December.

What has been your emotional rollercoaster as it pertains to cruising/not cruising during this time?

We cancelled our December 2020 cruise in March in the belief that cruising would not return until Feb.2021.Now my feeling is that it may never return.Cruising was my only form of traveling.

I am sad that there is no more cruise deal out there. This year's Labor Day cruise sale is a total joke. Hunting for bargain cruise/flight/hotel deals had always been a fun thing to do and my daily form of entertainment until COVID-19 shut down.

Travel has been a major part of our lives as we are in travel/cruise mode about 6 months a year.  Since returning from our winter home in Mexico (back in March) we have had 3 cancelled cruises (62 days) and European travel restrictions thwarted an alternative plan to spend a few weeks on a driving trip in Europe.  But I would not say we are sad, but rather resolute when it comes to our travel habit.  For us it is now a matter of looking at future options whether they be on cruises or independent land trips.  Our love of travel is unwavering and cruising is just one travel option.  Although we have 3 cruises booked for 2021 (more then 60 days on ships) we are already looking at land options to supplement and perhaps replaced cancelled cruise trips.  We also have every intent of returning to Mexico for a few months.   The idea of hiding in our basement has never been given serious consideration.

Hank

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We cancelled our December 2020 cruise in March in the belief that cruising would not return until Feb.2021.Now my feeling is that it may never return.Cruising was my only form of traveling.

I'm confused. In another thread in this forum, you said 2 of your 13 illnesses keep you from traveling and your doctors do not expect a change in them. Now you post "Cruising was my only form of traveling."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I'm confused. In another thread in this forum, you said 2 of your 13 illnesses keep you from traveling and your doctors do not expect a change in them. Now you post "Cruising was my only form of traveling."

Yeah and I think he mentioned he rode in a car to his doctor's appt.  That technically is traveling too!  You missed that.  😄😄

51 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

NO doubt this is just another example of what this poster refers to as his excellent skill with "satire".

I don't think we've experienced either sadness or an emotional roller coaster when it comes to cruising. Certainly a regret at having to curtail our plans for a European vacation this fall. And putting a pause on finalizing winter travel in early '21. We've simply adopted a waiting attitude; there's no point in investing emotion into a situation over which we have no control. Nor are we willing to invest money into future travel that may not be possible.

Did I do the math right and OP had six cruises booked in and eight or nine month period? Is that what you usually do? If so I can understand that you're feeling something not good. Perhaps going forward break up your travel so it's not all cruising. Granted, right now we really can't and shouldn't leave the US but what about road trips? We're lucky that last fall we bought a small motor home and we've taken it out for a week or more three times in the last three months. And, no, we're not sad about the lack of intl. travel. We're sad about all the people continuing to die and get sick with no end in sight. 😞

• Like 1

Really   yes cruising is one form of Holiday.... an enjoyable one at that...

but 2020  has and will be a no go anywhere year,   not even a a few day trip.....

and 2021 may improve somewhat for local travel...

Looking on the web... I have noticed businesses we stay at are closed and up for sale

This generate sadness, for the owners and us....

So is the Sadness starting... yes... it has been a hard year... people have died, become unemployed. homeless.... at least we live in our apartment which was payed off years ago, and are retried... and so far are in good health.... so we are lucky....

But having said that,,, it has been hard not going any where since  March, it is like life has be put on hold.... every day seams the same....

Time for a coffee Don  

28 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Really   yes cruising is one form of Holiday.... an enjoyable one at that...

but 2020  has and will be a no go anywhere year,   not even a a few day trip.....

and 2021 may improve somewhat for local travel...

Looking on the web... I have noticed businesses we stay at are closed and up for sale

This generate sadness, for the owners and us....

So is the Sadness starting... yes... it has been a hard year... people have died, become unemployed. homeless.... at least we live in our apartment which was payed off years ago, and are retried... and so far are in good health.... so we are lucky....

But having said that,,, it has been hard not going any where since  March, it is like life has be put on hold.... every day seams the same....

Time for a coffee Don  

Yesterday I visited a well stocked niche store that I had not been to since last year.  I was shocked at how empty the shelfs were not to mention how empty the store was.    Most of the stuff sold there can be purchased on line.  I'm sure a lot of patrons have migrated towards internet shopping and wonder if they will come back. 

Like you say, when we consider deaths, unemployment, lost businesses and all the other hardships people have had to endure we are truly fortunate.  

Gosh I'll be glad when we finally surface from this pandemic mess.  

• Thanks 1

I love travel and cruising, over 50 sailings since 2003.  Initially, I was skeptical about COVID, I even cruised in February 2020 as the virus was strengthening.  But once the impact of COVID became apparent to me around March 10, {when a trip to Egypt that included a 4 day Nile River cruise was cancelled by the travel company 2 days before we were to fly to Cairo}, protecting my family's health became a higher priority than travel.

We've since had a stay in London, a 9 day Norway fjord cruise, a Panama Canal cruise, and a 10 day Iceland land tour all cancelled.  We haven't seen our twins or 4 G-Kids since last XMas. 

But because of the COVID circumstances, I found myself thankful I wasn't caught up away from home in a foreign country or quarantined on a ship somewhere.  I found myself being grateful that my family hadn't caught the virus and we all remain cooped up but healthy.

If I were to travel before it was safe, I might be on a roller coaster of doubt and uncertainty.  But accepting COVID for what it is and realizing one small mistake could result in an infection or worse, makes missing travel seem inconsequential and allows for balanced emotions.  I can accept the things I cannot change.

JMO, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Since returning from our winter home in Mexico (back in March) ...  We also have every intent of returning to Mexico for a few months.   The idea of hiding in our basement has never been given serious consideration.

Hank

I think you will find that Mexico will be in a much better place by March.  I am starting to get fewer messages about parents, aunts and uncles dying and the case numbers seem to be dropping overall.  I know that all personal information is anecdotal, but it does seem that Mexico is slowly getting better based on what I am hearing.  The toll in Mexico has been horrendous, but if anywhere is building natural immunity it is Mexico. 

I am thinking about heading down in November for a week.  We'll see how I feel at the time. 

We had to cancel one cruise and two land-based trips (all international).  C'est la vie -- no sadness at all.  We'll travel again when the stars are aligned.  Meanwhile, it's great to enjoy the late summer weather here in the Pacific Northwest.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I get the sadness but in the big scheme of life it's just a blip. 

This was the week that we were supposed to be on our "Happy Retirement to Me" family and friends cruise to Alaska.

We'd looked forward to it since January 2019 but instead the 8 out of the 10 of us that are local came over for a socially distanced outdoor Non Voyage pool party.

Maybe some day we'll cruise again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

We had to cancel one cruise and two land-based trips (all international).  C'est la vie -- no sadness at all.  We'll travel again when the stars are aligned.  Meanwhile, it's great to enjoy the late summer weather here in the Pacific Northwest.

OT, did you see this?

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fv%2Ft1.0-9%2F118742720_3489650191103288_1319834262250659570_o.jpg%3F_nc_cat%3D1%26_nc_sid%3D730e14%26_nc_ohc%3D4juBkZs4fQEAX8m--1M%26_nc_ht%3Dscontent-sjc3-1.xx%26oh%3D0e9a48204b6c2a84b8c3b900ef39d1f8%26oe%3D5F7634EC&t=1599268421&ymreqid=8dfec8e9-21f7-fce9-2fc1-e60044014100&sig=0kc1DHSsXLyh98zdEfr2PA--~D

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Other than very dry, this summer has been beautiful.  As I type this, I'm watching a beautiful sunset over the Olympics.  

But that said, I do still missing cruising.  After all, that's what this board is for.  

We've lost four land trips since this began but no cruises.  A bit depressing but those countries aren't going anywhere and we'll get there eventually. 

Whether we cruise again is an open question. 

Edited by K32682

15 hours ago, mom says said:

NO doubt this is just another example of what this poster refers to as his excellent skill with "satire".

And he no doubt read this as he responded to a post that I made at about the same time sending him prayers to recover from his 13 illnesses, but has not responded to my post and those responding to it that refer to he can only travel by cruise ship.

Perhaps he has tilted at too many windmills.

• Like 1

Do we miss cruising  the possibility of cruising?  Yes, a little but we are hardly sad about it nor are we dwelling on it.  

We feel fortunate that our health and financial well being has not been impacted.  Others have and are suffering greatly.  There are other options besides cruising.  

We are simply moving forward with what is in our realm of options vs dwelling on what we are currently not able to do or enjoy.    We do not think an effective covid solution will be available until Q1/Q2 at the earliest.  No point in moping around feeling sorry for ourselves or our first world problems.  We just move forward with other plans.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1