Leveling Up with the 2021 C&A double point promotion

John&LaLa

Will you level up with the new Double Point Promotion  

175 members have voted

1. 1. How far will you level up with the new double point promotion?

• Pre Diamond to Diamond
    • Pre Diamond to Diamond Plus
    • Diamond to Diamond Plus
    • Diamond Plus to Pinnacle
    • Some level below Diamond
    • Pinnacle to Double Pinnacle

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Nothing against anyone who enjoys this, but this is one thing I will never participate in. If it was the Captain.. I would still pass. Maybe I am overlooking something about it that would be beneficial, but I just can't see it. 

So, a really long time ago, we went to a resort on Moorea to swim with the dolphins we spent a small fortune for this activity while on the Legend of the Seas, the security guard to the resort wouldn’t let us in, apparently we looked way to scruffy for this resort, that and it was right before the Gulf War in 2003 and we were obviously Americans.  So, we drove down the road to a pay phone called the resort, and they said, yes we are expecting you and we will tell  the security people to let you in.  So we drove back the security guard and he still didn’t want to let us in... so I said, OK, I am going to again drive down the road to the pay phone and when I return you will be fired.  He opened the gate.  When we got to the resort and checked in we went to the dock where they did the dolphin encounter where we were now on an excursion with Captain Rick Sullivan and his wife and the four of us....  We had a great little encounter complete with pictures and t shirts.  Back on the ship...  no exchange on letters or emails.

Fast forward 4-1/2 years, I am at the CC Meet and Mingle on the Navigator of the Seas, I am wearing obnoxious clothing so that anyone from CC can’t fail to recognize me and punch my lights out if they want.  I think I was wearing an Inter Milan jersey on that occasion.  So, who shows up, but Captain Rick Sullivan... he walks thru and shakes everyone’s hand and when he gets to me, I said, I know you don’t remember but in 2003 we did the dolphin encounter with you and your lovely wife on Moorea.  He pretended to remember me and moved on.  After he left I chatted with a pretty engaged roll call for about 30 minutes.  When I got back to my cabin, the DW is not into CC at all.  She was all excited.  She said, I got a call from the hotel director and he invited us to the captains table tonight... I said, I know.

We had a great dinner, with a friend of the captains a fellow Canadian Merchant Marine graduate, and had dinner a few nights later in Chops with the 5 of us and another officer.  Food was better wine was better, if you get the invite accept is my advice.

10 months after the cruise we visited his friend in Canada.  

Opportunities to make friends should at least be considered.

jc

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

They’ve never asked to eat with us. 😇

They asked us. 😁  It was during the first formal night of our first cruise. As Mike was coming out of the bathroom the Captain stopped him and started talking to us. He asked use for our room number which we thought was weird, but being new we had no idea why. Later we received an invitation to the Captain's table for the second formal night. Mike thinks it was his charm, 🤣 but I'm pretty sure it was because he had on his Navy Captains uniform.

We had dinner with Staff Captain Karachalios and 7 others. Fred and Mary Jane Latronica were the highest in points, but I don't remember if they were Pinnacle or not. When they walked everyone down the big staircase in the MDR it was so embarrassing with everyone staring at you. That was the only part that I totally disliked. That and the fact that they took a picture of the table from the second floor so ladies watch out if they can see down your dress. I wasn't forwarned and everyone got a free photo. Ugh! This was on the Jewel.

10 hours ago, yogimax said:

We always look forward to it.  You'll be at a table for 8-10 with one or two officers.  The meal will usually include steak and perhaps lobster.  Also good wine.

You'll have the opportunity to learn about the particular job the officer has.  We're had the head of the laundry to the air conditioning officer, for example.   You can also glean a sense of the person and their family, likes and dislikes.

Bottom line - a lot of fun, good food, good company.

👍 Totally agree.

Back to the question. We made D+ on our last cruise so our canceled May TA would have been our first as D+. The extra points really won't do anything for us.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are also a lot of people who couldn't vote at all because there wasn't an appropriate choice.  

So why don't you create the perfect poll.😉

If you'll read the introduction, the main point of this poll is to judge changes in lounge access. Nothing more. 

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If you'll read the introduction, the main point of this poll is to judge changes in lounge access. Nothing more. 

As you like to say, it is just my opinion.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Yea, D+ does get some obscure 'officers'

We've also enjoyed the company of the captain, staff captain and hotel director but I would never call someone who worked their up from a housekeeper to a two striper "obscure."

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, yogimax said:

We've also enjoyed the company of the captain, staff captain and hotel director but I would never call someone who worked their up from a housekeeper to a two striper "obscure."

I would😉

It's not meant to demean, it's just a very low level middle manager

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I truly believe they invited you to eat with them. 

M8

I think it was all about the show. I named the high points couple because I'm curious if they are on here and still cruising. 

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

So glad you edited your initial two word response.

It's still an obscure position in a huge crew. And for what it's worth, we all worked our way up from somewhere.

And FWIW, I constantly edit my posts😉

Its my process

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 12:00 AM, John&LaLa said:

Trying to gauge the amount of new Lounge Eligible cruisers that will be anointed in 2021.

And yes, I know there is no level known as Dbl Pin, I just wanted the Pinnacle members a chance to play along😉

It will now be less crowded in every other bar and lounge onboard because everyone will be in the CL or SL. 

Coastal kitchen to be converted to a buffet style to handle the crowds too. 

Pinnacle Lunch now held in the Theater for capacity reasons. 

Free Pinnacle Cruise now a cruise that they cancel and give you $50 OBC for. 

People without the gold bar name tags will be given better treatment. 

Priority Checkin Line will have a 2-3 hour wait time

Blue Seapass card to be coveted and offer an exclusive listing of perks that gold cards can’t get

You won’t be able to go far without hearing “I’m Pinnacle and I deserve......”

Welcome to Crown & Anchor Society Pinnacle Club - COVID Edition. 

• Haha 1

Another one here who falls into the vast region between D+ and P so the extra points mean nothing to me, other than getting closer to another free amenity gift (i.e. bottle of wine). Next cruise will put me into mid 400s so a long way from Pinnacle. If I had the money (and inclination) to book enough cruises - or suites - to get me there i wouldn't be choosing RC anyway.

Also another one who doesn't see the attraction of the 340 lunch. No desire to sit in a dining room making small talk at midday on a sea day when I could be out on deck. The only one we didn't decline was on Jewel last summer where there were so few above 340 points and only one sea day that we had dinner. Our officers were the LA and the Future Cruise person- not sure if they would meet the important enough criteria for some on here, but it was a really fun meal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobal said:

Also another one who doesn't see the attraction of the 340 lunch. No desire to sit in a dining room making small talk at midday on a sea day when I could be out on deck. The only one we didn't decline was on Jewel last summer where there were so few above 340 points and only one sea day that we had dinner. Our officers were the LA and the Future Cruise person- not sure if they would meet the important enough criteria for some on here, but it was a really fun meal.

LA and Future Cruise are great officers to dine with. Both outgoing by nature, great sources of information, and always good to make freinds with an LA. They have a lot of leeway in things they can help you with. It's their job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

John, I just want to tell you I'm sorry.  I was joking around with you, and didn't mean for anyone to take it seriously. 

My bad, should have realized what would happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Surprised only one person going from say Emerald to D+

That's me...I was 2 points from Diamond when the shutdown occurred.  I have a bunch of cruises booked for 2021, most of them the 3/4 day short ones, but 5 of them are solo so its a big boost.  I can't say I would have booked more cruises just because of the promotion, but I'll take it! 

I'm not a lounge person, but I would like to get closer to that solo discount!

Edited by EllaDuChien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Since this thread is more about a meal with an officer than John's poll...I wonder if the officers actually enjoy the meal or if it's just part of their job to pretend like they enjoy it.  Do they drink alcohol during the meal?  If yes, I'd guess that they are not "on duty".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Since this thread is more about a meal with an officer than John's poll...I wonder if the officers actually enjoy the meal or if it's just part of their job to pretend like they enjoy it.  Do they drink alcohol during the meal?  If yes, I'd guess that they are not "on duty".

If I were one of those officers I don't think I would enjoy it at all. I would prefer my down time when I am not actually performing my job.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve probably viewed this thread at least half a dozen times reading the new posts. 

11 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are also a lot of people who couldn't vote at all because there wasn't an appropriate choice.  

And there are some of us who fit in both of these scenarios 🙋‍♀️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

If I were one of those officers I don't think I would enjoy it at all. I would prefer my down time when I am not actually performing my job.

I agree, although I've learned from my daughter, who is MUCH more extroverted than I am, that she needs to be around other people.  She goes crazy if she's alone too much.  

• Like 1