Would it make sense to get a stamp for Covid vax right on your passport.

dolittle

It seems like this might make sense (along with some kind of card ) it would make it easier for travel and at ports and airports around the world. Plus I think it is more serious crime to fake up a passport for any anti vaxers . Those who want to could bring there passport to the place where they get the shot and have it marked. Have not heard what they are going to do about a card or whatever I think they will have to have something. Those of you in other countries what are they planing to do . What  do you think how should we handle this because there are going to be people who will not get the vax.

Except passports have expirations. Ours expires in 2023, so, given our usual travel plans, we would be renewing in early 2023. As a new passport is issued, the stamp would disappear. Some arrangement would need to be made to have the passport agency note the vaccine stamp from the old passport on the new passport. These things are by international agreement. Not impossible, but also not as simple as it would seem.

52 minutes ago, dolittle said:

It seems like this might make sense (along with some kind of card ) it would make it easier for travel and at ports and airports around the world. Plus I think it is more serious crime to fake up a passport for any anti vaxers . Those who want to could bring there passport to the place where they get the shot and have it marked. Have not heard what they are going to do about a card or whatever I think they will have to have something. Those of you in other countries what are they planing to do . What  do you think how should we handle this because there are going to be people who will not get the vax.

How about the thousands (or is it millions) who cruise without passports?  One common method would be preferable,

10 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, I am sure I can find my own somewhere -  but I am afraid it would be too easy for the wise guys to fake.

I have my two most recent ones.  Yes, pretty easily faked, but maybe some sort of electronic version that can only be added to by authorized connections at doctor's offices.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea because I have two passports, so it would be double the work. I use one significantly more than the other, but I do use both and would need/want to get it in both. Having a separate document (digital or physical) that I can carry with me no matter which passport I have would be greatly preferred. 

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

There is a prior thread that discusses electronic or digital passport vaccine confirmations that went into some detail on this subject.

I posted the link to that but can't find it now (but I suck at searching on this site).

I think that this is a little premature at this point. 

We truly don't know a lot about the possible vaccines yet.  From my research it would appear that they are effective at reducing the severity of the disease or its impact on people's health, but they aren't being assessed at being effective of stopping the transmission of the virus.  If so, this raises a very fundamental question - how would a virus that is able to be freely transmitted on a cruise ship affect the cruise industry?

It certainly causes me to pause on the thought of getting back to normal anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

how would a virus that is able to be freely transmitted on a cruise ship affect the cruise industry?

Well stop and think about it for just one minute. Aside from the fact that we don't KNOW if transmission is possible after vaccination (we only know that it hasn't been proven one way or the other). If everyone on board has been vaccinated then they either won't get sick from COVID, or they will only get a mild case of it. So even if some passengers are carriers,  it's not going to cause a mess like we saw on the ships back in Feb/Mar.

As for  port visits; that will be a decision of each country as to when they will open their borders, and under what conditions (vaccinations, negative COVID tests, masks, or some combination). But this isn't going to happen over night, as soon as the vaccines are rolled out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

If and when I am able to receive vaccine against Covid, I am going to insist that such information is recorded in my "Yellow Bible".  Why would whomever/whatever agency providing the vaccination refuse to do so?  

But would it be accepted by countries and cruise lines? This isn't something where you want to make a mistake. But I'm guessing that we won't be guessing 🙂 much longer. Now that the CDC has warned that NO ONE should be cruising right now I think we have a while for the various nuts and bolts to get sorted out.

7 hours ago, mom says said:

So even if some passengers are carriers,  it's not going to cause a mess like we saw on the ships back in Feb/Mar.

Now when the virus is spread almost everywhere there is no reason that a cruise shall cause a mess. In February countries said no to cruiseship because they didn't wanted the virus but if they already have it widely spread it's not the same thing.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Now when the virus is spread almost everywhere there is no reason that a cruise shall cause a mess. In February countries said no to cruiseship because they didn't wanted the virus but if they already have it widely spread it's not the same thing.

However it is not widespread in every country. Some have been remarkably successful in minimizing it's impact within their countries. The last thing they want is a boatload of COVID cases arriving in port. So I can see them requiring vaccination as a condition of entry as they vaccinate their own people. And those countries with marginally adequate or inadequate public health capability will likely be even less welcoming if they consider cruise ships as potentially bringing in a new influx of the disease. While they may need the tourist dollars economically, they may also need those tourists to be vaccinated before mingling with their own citizens.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

However it is not widespread in every country. Some have been remarkably successful in minimizing it's impact within their countries. The last thing they want is a boatload of COVID cases arriving in port. So I can see them requiring vaccination as a condition of entry as they vaccinate their own people. And those countries with marginally adequate or inadequate public health capability will likely be even less welcoming if they consider cruise ships as potentially bringing in a new influx of the disease. While they may need the tourist dollars economically, they may also need those tourists to be vaccinated before mingling with their own citizens.

You are correct that it's not widespread in every country and I think that thoose countries will say no to international cruises until the situation is completely different than now.

I'm thinking that for example a cruise between Italy, Spain and France shouldn't necessary be a problem because they already have the virus widespread in thoose countries.

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

No matter how widespread it is in a country, they do not want it to get worse.

15 hours ago, mom says said:

Well stop and think about it for just one minute. Aside from the fact that we don't KNOW if transmission is possible after vaccination (we only know that it hasn't been proven one way or the other). If everyone on board has been vaccinated then they either won't get sick from COVID, or they will only get a mild case of it. So even if some passengers are carriers,  it's not going to cause a mess like we saw on the ships back in Feb/Mar.

As for  port visits; that will be a decision of each country as to when they will open their borders, and under what conditions (vaccinations, negative COVID tests, masks, or some combination). But this isn't going to happen over night, as soon as the vaccines are rolled out.

Not necessarily.  Remember that the vaccines have an effectiveness rate.  So if the effectiveness rate is 95%, then 5% will have no protection.  On a ship with 4000 people (passengers and crew) that means you can reasonably expect at least 200 people to have no protection whatsoever, even though they have received the vaccine.  I would think that there is still the potential to cause a mess.

It's much easier to just have a government system that tracks the vaccination and link to the cruise lines' registration. When you do online registration, it states that you are giving permission to verify vaccination. It then does a check against and any that do not pass are flagged for further verification. Its not rocket science.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:28 AM, dolittle said:

This has the basis of an excellent idea for all countries.  
It will ensure those who are are resident or legitimately in a country and can prove it with the production of a 100% genuine document, get the vaccine.
Then those who are not legitimate in a country would have to register and thereby become visible.

2 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

This has the basis of an excellent idea for all countries.  
It will ensure those who are are resident or legitimately in a country and can prove it with the production of a 100% genuine document, get the vaccine.
Then those who are not legitimate in a country would have to register and thereby become visible.

Ha!  Do you think people who are illegally resident in a country will be planning on taking a cruise or flying to a resort?

Just now, d9704011 said:

Ha!  Do you think people who are illegally resident in a country will be planning on taking a cruise or flying to a resort?

No idea.  
The basis of the thought process was to ensure only legitimate people receive the vaccine.

43 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

No idea.  
The basis of the thought process was to ensure only legitimate people receive the vaccine.

I guess I misunderstood.  It seems your proposal is even more draconian than I originally thought;  are you suggesting that in order to be vaccinated a person needs to provide documentation supporting their legal right to be resident in the country?

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

I guess I misunderstood.  It seems your proposal is even more draconian than I originally thought;  are you suggesting that in order to be vaccinated a person needs to provide documentation supporting their legal right to be resident in the country?

Correct.  Then then those not legitimate in a country would have to present themselves to enable any official status documentation protocol to be initiated.