HAWAII Cruisers - FYI - Lahaina destroyed by Fire

mikjr

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lahaina was a lovely place to visit with interesting shops, great restaurants and a decent-sized outlet centre. 

It was our favourite port in the pacific. A mix of historic buildings, art galleries and beautiful scenery.

Terribly sad to see the amount of houses and businesses destroyed in the town. My heart goes out to the people there to not only lose their houses but to see their beautiful old town centre burnt to the ground.

It was with a little bit of disbelief when I heard the news yesterday morning thinking that there was not much vegetation outside of town to burn but just goes to show nowhere is safe from fire given certain conditions.

We were to go back there in October on the Royal Princess on her way to Australia but will no doubt have an itinerary change now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Picture of the banyan tree pretty much confirms it isn't likely to have much left.

gettyimages-1590326919_custom-e2e6f32153db6c52de6806ab3240ea7eacfc478b-s1000-c85.webp.b3714ed505429d310e6e9d17a22a931a.webp

I can't determine that this one picture proves anything,  good or bad. It would require someone who knows how banyan trees handle fire.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

I can't determine that this one picture proves anything,  good or bad. It would require someone who knows how banyan trees handle fire.

I have heard differing reports about the tree. Some saying that it is unlikely to be saved that the damage is too severe, others saying that in can recover, atleast in part. Only time will tell.

I have made an initial donation the Maui Community Foundation.  I recommend them as well as Maui Food Bank, and Maui United Way. 

With all 3 the money donated will stay on Maui.

9 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I have made an initial donation the Maui Community Foundation.  I recommend them as well as Maui Food Bank, and Maui United Way. 

Maui Food Bank, Maui Community Foundation. Also added Maui Humane Society. fire.jpg

Unbelievable news coming out of Lahaina, Maui - such a idyllic port and visited by Crystal many times - so sad to see the devastation and loss of life 

Sadly I can’t see the 2024 World Cruises planned visit to Lahaina for 10 February 2024 happening 

Bush fires are something many areas around the world suffer from, including here in Australia, and the magnitude of loss is unbelievable 

Please join me in sending caring thoughts to the people of Lahaina - and hoping for a full recovery - but it’s going to take huge effort and time

Fond memories of Lahaina in better times 

IMG_6548.thumb.jpeg.ede260c18a542023cec6d7bacb0d55c1.jpeg

IMG_8156.thumb.jpeg.5629e2fcc57575c334a8f77bb05436fa.jpeg

• Like 5

Stickmsn1990, I was just about to put something on cruise critic about Maui when I saw your post. This is so sad and brought back memories of my first visit there on the Crystal Harmony in February 2004. Thoughts are with all the people impacted. I am also on the cruise from San Diego to Tahiti in February and can’t imagine that we will be able to stop in Maui.

• Like 2

Schools have burned. The teachers, staff, and students' homes are gone. Lives have been lost. Places of employment destroyed. The shock has not worn off. The internet (and thus communication) is not available for those who need it most and there may be a two-week wait for power.

There is widespread suffering.

Here are a few places to give...there are many. If you benefit from gifts of the islands or your memories of your visits, please consider how you can offer something more. If you have connections, use them to help.

https://pshf.org/

https://hawaii.salvationarmy.org/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aloha.  As you may or may not know we divide our time between NY and Honolulu. The destruction of Lahaina is beyond sad with the loss of life and the history of the beautiful town. My blessings and prayers for those affected. It will take years to rebuild but some aspects can never be rebuilt. Of course on some other boards and social media some are complaining about not be able to visit. We can’t help that there are knuckleheads but we can pray for those affected. Sorry to rant a bit and I apologize for venting but needed a welcoming place to voice a bit. Mahalo 

• Like 14

On 8/9/2023 at 2:37 PM, ldtr said:

A friend of mine says the Banyan Tree is gone  If that is true than not good for pioneer inn.

One report says that harbor area gone, but did not say if it was the one next to the inn where the ferry docks or the one just outside of town

I just read that the Banyan Tree is still standing! Charred, to be sure, but will survive, according to the newspaper. It is 150 years old, imported from India, so its roots are very deep!

Edited by NWX

Devastated to see the burnt ruins of the town, and sad to hear the second largest Banyan tree in the world may not survive. Have been there twice and loved the colonial township. My heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones, lost their homes and their livelihoods. A sad and tragic time indeed 😪

21 hours ago, ldtr said:

I have heard differing reports about the tree. Some saying that it is unlikely to be saved that the damage is too severe, others saying that in can recover, atleast in part. Only time will tell.

We spent our honeymoon in Hawaii and did part in Maui…donated!

On 8/10/2023 at 3:18 PM, scottca075 said:

No, "a lot" of locals that work in those resorts did not lose their homes. Some workers or many workers may have lost homes or be displaced currently, but a lot of the homes that burned were the waterfront homes that are not occupied by hotel and restaurant workers. The final count of homes lost is not yet known, the area destroyed is relatively small. "Lahaina" is not all gone, a good portion of Downtown Lahaina is.

It is up to the government of Maui to "fix" things as quickly as possible and not pull the usual junk they do.The government of Maui is who approved 8,000 more visitor units in West Maui while never expanding the Honoapi'ilani Highway (Highway 30 Maui) and never adding alternative safety routes.

As of Friday a total of 2,207 structures were damaged or destroyed and 2,170 acres have burned as a result of the Lahaina Fire on Maui, according to an updated damage assessment from the Pacific Disaster Center (PDC) and FEMA.

Today Maui is front and center on national news.

A couple of weeks from now that coverage will fade and in many cases along with it outside contributions and support.

It will be important to continue to provide support even after it fades from the news, because the need and the work will continue for a long time after the headlines fade.

4 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:
On 8/9/2023 at 11:22 AM, HappyInVan said:

How insensitive can you be???

Sorry. The post you quoted was made on the morning of Wednesday the 9th. Lahaina was destroyed the day before after 5pm your time. The extend of the devastation was only evident later on Wednesday.

Context is important. On Thursday morning, I posted 

Thanks for your concern.

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

Found this on that book page:

Lahaina Banyan Tree Update: This is what Steve, the State Arborist said 8/14: 

He and his team have examined every trunk from top to bottom, and he sees live tissue under the bark on every trunk. They are watering the tree top to bottom daily, nourishing the soil with special compost, creating aeration, and taking soil samples.

He says the tree is in a "coma" like state, and he believes that with proper care they could see signs of life within 3, 4 months. They will be listening to what the tree is saying as to what steps to do.

He did sound optimistic

IMG_1750.jpeg.9cd4c4dbfeb73fb74eed901fe46ff171.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1