Do you have a cruise line that you will never sail again?

George C

I’ve had to eat my words more than once when I’ve said that I will “never” sail a cruise line ever again. 

First time was after sailing on the Tropicale back in 1994. The cruise was, in a nutshell, horrendous. I swore I would NEVER set foot on a Carnival cruise ever again. Well I waited 6 years before I summoned enough courage to sail on them again. Long story short, I enjoyed my second Carnival cruise so much that I sailed on them almost exclusively for years, until I attained Platinum status. 

The second time I had to eat my words was more recent, this time on MSC. My first MSC cruise was on 2016 aboard the Divina, and while the cruise was OK, it was a mediocre experience. My wife was less forgiving and said that she would never sail on MSC ever again. Well, we decided to give MSC a second shot last November, this time aboard the Meraviglia in the Mediterranean. The experience was well beyond our expectations. It was an absolutely fantastic cruise and it easily ranks as one of my best cruises ever in over 30+ years cruising. I now rank MSC as one of my absolutely favorite cruise lines. 

So morale of the story is to never say never. I would’ve missed out on some wonderful cruise experiences. 

My trans-Atlantic crossing on QE2 was so disappointing that I had to really "screw up my courage" to book Queen Mary 2.  I did so because my friends had booked this particular cruise and I wanted to sail with them again.  As it turned out, they cancelled, I didn't, but enjoyed Queen Mary 2.  I'd sail with Cunard again if the itinerary, pricing, and timing were right.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

What line will you never sail again, for me even though I have not cruised them in a long time it is ncl, most likely also carnival.

We were on Carnival once,in 1994 and have no desire ever to go back.The itinerary was interesting. We flew to San Juan and cruised the caribbean but hated the ship.

No.  We have been on Crystal, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Princess, and RCI.   

Enjoyed them all.  BUT...there a few ships that we would not go on again.  It comes down to ships for us, not cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

I liked Sitmar but they were purchased by Princess. One ship I will not go on again is the Carnival Elation.

I started my cruising life back in 1980 on Sitmar...then I cruised on the Carnival Carnivale in 1985,  after 4 Sitmar cruises and said I would never cruise Carnival again...that lasted until 2003. Now my 2 cruise lines of choice are Carnival and Royal. Now I’ve learned to never say never after 1 cruise. Different ships, lengths of cruises and itineraries can differ so much within the same fleet.

Norwegian was the fifth cruise line we tried and the only one we vowed not sail again, don't even remember what we didn't like about it. I assume that NCL is a different beast than it was in 1997, but a promise is a promise.

We usually stand by the philosophy of never-say-never; however, after 20 years cruising on  most middle cruise lines such as Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Disney, Norwegian, Carnival, Costa, Holland America, MSC, we can most decidedly confirm never again on Carnival and Costa.  There are too many other lines and ships that offer so much more for us-won't spend money on any that we don't enjoy.

See my post in have you ever had a cruise cancelled by the CL. Uniworld chartered our cruise after it was paid in full. After finally getting our money back (not nearly as easy as paying them), I told them to stop sending us both their snail mail and online SPAM.

(I guess technically since we never sailed on them, it not "again"

We're in the never say never camp.  Actually Princess was not a good fit for us, & unlike many of the posters here, we like NCL.  However, we will avoid her mega-ships, Breakway, Epic, Getaway etc.  They are just too big for our tastes.  

I sailed RCCL in roughly 1992 and had a horrible time.  Kids everywhere, I disliked the food, the service was over the top stupid with the servers shouting "EXCELLENT" over and over and over to everything.  (IIRC it was a reference to a movie).  ONLY time in 25+ cruises booked as a guantee that I truly got that worst cabin in the ship.

In retrospect, my 'never again' attitude was affected by my boyfriend--of-the-moment.  He got down on one knee in one of the bars and proposed.  Very very embarrassing for both of us when I said, "umm, can we talk about this later?"  The story spread quickly, and I had to deal with stares, comments and 'helpful' advice from strangers for the remaining 5 days of the cruise.  One woman actually called me a *****.  He got a cheap bar bill because those same strangers bought him sympathy drinks.  

Twenty-five years later, I'm betting he says "never again" to ANY cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1