Do you have a cruise line that you will never sail again?

George C

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

But back to NCL, I remember always having the choice to either eat alone or with others.  Waiting for our own table often meant longer wait times though.  This includes the Sky, Dawn and Escape, so that's pretty much the gamut of their ship styles except Epic.  

We were given that choice on the Epic, and we said we would eat with others. We were seated, and then waited for others to join. And waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. And when it became apparent that no one wanted but us wanted anything but a table for two, we finally said we would also do a table for two. 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, George C said:

What line will you never sail again, for me even though I have not cruised them in a long time it is ncl, most likely also carnival.

We have 2 cruise lines that we will never sail again, but see no point in naming them, as they don't meet our expectations, but obviously meet those of many others.

In summary, we can't imagine sailing on any mainstream line and/or mega ship.

We probably won't sail Disney again. Once was fun, but all those adorable little kids got a bit much by the end of the cruise. Plus, my poor hubby caught a cold, which he blamed on all those adorable little kids.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, fyree39 said:

Never say never.

LOL -- spoken like someone who is truly owned by a cat! 😜

But, not to go totally OT -- I would have to say that, while our 4-night cruise on the Carnivale (in 1989) was delightful, that was probably our last cruise on Carnival.

Edited by wwcruisers

On 5/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We were on Carnival once,in 1994 and have no desire ever to go back.The itinerary was interesting. We flew to San Juan and cruised the caribbean but hated the ship.

Had a similar experience with them but I think it was 1991. Many cruises on several lines later, will still not cruise Carnival. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:43 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

RCI

Sailed on them years ago.  Cabin steward made up only part of the room each day -- around 4 PM when we were getting ready to go out for cocktails before dinner.  Never put any ice in the bucket.

We decided to give them another try a couple of years later -- all they would give us was a discount of $25 each -- and we were in a suite.  Turned them down.

How did you manage to tolerate such poor service without contacting the head of housekeeping after the first day? Believe me, things would have changed. 

• Like 2

We have been on the four main lines -- Carnival, RCI, Princess, Celebrity.   I would probably not consider Carnival these days because the product is not the best fit for us.  Does not mean we had a terrible time.   Just that others better suit us.  

At one point I would have avoided Adventure of the Seas because it was in such poor condition.  But I realize it has been refurbished and probably feels like a different ship now.   

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:27 AM, George C said:

What line will you never sail again, for me even though I have not cruised them in a long time it is ncl, most likely also carnival.

Never say never but of course we do have lines that we prefer.

We have sailed primarily Carnival, once with NCL and once with Holland America.  I cannot say I would never sail any cruise line or ship again, but I tend to always book with Carnival because their prices are better most of the time.  We have loved all of our cruises, some more than others.....NCL we went to the Norwegian fjords and the HA cruise went to the Panama Canal, so those two would probably top our list.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Commodore... they said the stateroom was large enough for 5. It was my 1st cruise & it wasn't. It rebrands as Cunard

I actually remember their line.  One of their ships is now that Christian Science ship (Freewinds) that recently made the news because of a measles outbreak.  I recall that Commodore went bankrupt shortly after 9/11 around the same time as Renaissance Cruise lines also went belly-up.  Not sure why you say it was "rebranded" as Cunard as it had nothing to do with Cunard which is currently owned by Carnival Corp.  A good friend of mine actually liked Commodore and used to cruise on the line several times a year.  Perhaps that is why he died young :(.

Hank

I googled them and cunard commodore came up .... my bad. It took me 15 yrs to try another ship. That's when I took my 1st Carnival. Loved it, kids loved it, this company works for us (but as Princess)

Commodore

I actually remember their line.

I do, too.  I once cruised on the Queen of Bermuda of Bermuda Star Lines, which was merged into Commodore, or taken over by Commodore, or something.  Even if they were still around, I wouldn't sail with them again for anything.  They were cheap.  I had the second sitting, and at dinner, I was always told that they were out of what I wanted to order.  I would make another choice, but they were always out of that, too.  So I would ask, "What DO you have?" and I always found something that I liked.  I figured that people at the first sitting had eaten every single portion of the dishes that appealed to me.  I eventually found out that they were offering completely different dishes than those on the menus, but they were too cheap to print up new menus.  So the waiters were instructed to pass out the old menus and then say that they were all out of whatever was ordered.  

Will not go on Silversea again, dinner at 7 pm is to late for us.  All the art on the ship had their value listed - it's like owning a Bentley and leaving the window sticker on - just to weird.

JK

Homer_4_s.JPG

• Like 1

Ocean Village. Because it's dead!

A UK cruise line owned by Carnival Corp. who decided to kill it off

soon after the Sept. 2008 financial meltdown!

We did two trips on Ocean Village Two - a nice enough ship!

Would go again -if they ever decided to resurrect it

OVbrand-31A.jpg

OV2-172.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nobog said:

Will not go on Silversea again, dinner at 7 pm is to late for us.  All the art on the ship had their value listed - it's like owning a Bentley and leaving the window sticker on - just to weird.

JK

Homer_4_s.JPG

Same with us. We just went on Silversea and the show and dining options were too late for us.

3 hours ago, amawells said:

Same with us. We just went on Silversea and the show and dining options were too late for us.

A late dining time is easy enough to handle- stay up a bit later than normal the first evening, then the next morning you sleep in a bit but when you get up at 9:00 AM, just tell yourself it’s 8:00 AM - even set your watch back an hour if you need to fool yourself.  That way when 7:00 PM dinner comes you will feel like it’s 6:00 PM.

You can easily adjust you body clock an hour or so:  haven’t you ever changed time zones, or adjusted for Daylight Savings time?  A little flexibility is not that hard to apply.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

On the average we go to sleep at 2 AM and get up at 6AM.We endeavor to get the most out of every day. We can sleep normal hours at home.

But not everyone can do that for any extended length of time!  If I had to exist on 4 hours of sleep for any period of time greater than 24 hours I would be a wreck.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A late dining time is easy enough to handle- stay up a bit later than normal the first evening, then the next morning you sleep in a bit but when you get up at 9:00 AM, just tell yourself it’s 8:00 AM - even set your watch back an hour if you need to fool yourself.  That way when 7:00 PM dinner comes you will feel like it’s 6:00 PM.

You can easily adjust you body clock an hour or so:  haven’t you ever changed time zones, or adjusted for Daylight Savings time?  A little flexibility is not that hard to apply.

I just tell myself I'm back in the Navy on a port and starboard watch schedule (for those that don't know that means you work a shift [for us it was typically 8 hours] take 8 hours off and take another shift and repeat until the ship returns to port. You aren't actually off on those other 8 hours either, you are then doing your regular duties).

But really, it doesn't matter how late I stay up the night before, I am typically up by 6 just as I am during the work week. If I am lucky I will sleep in until 7 once during the cruise. 

• Like 1