Bar soap going Buh Bye

CruisinFinsUp

15 hours ago, c-boy said:

how would/could this be considered a " cut back "  if they replace it with something equal or better.

I do not consider any liquid soap to be equal or better than using a bar of soap.  I always used a Princess bar of soap in the shower after they put the container of "body wash" into the shower stall.

And I have yet to read one comment on Cruise Critic that said the combined shampoo/conditioner in the shower is better than the separate small bottle of shampoo and separate small bottle of conditioner that used to be provided.

• Like 2

Is this going to become another 40 page extravaganza like the barrel chair removal? We need to get a grip on reality. This kind of thing is happening all over in the hospitality industry. Let's save our ammo for more important things like possibly following Carnival in switching from Coke to Pepsi....oh yeah, don't care about that either.

Edited by Doug R.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

This seems contradictory to me of their health concerns they show in other areas.  Having any kind of communal dispensers in your cabin seems like a breeding ground for issues.

I used to use the shampoo/body wash dispensers in the shower till one time I noticed the top was loose, and when I took it off you could tell it hadn't been properly cleaned in a while, they apparently just refill them and don't clean them after each stay.

8 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

In the past we have come home with dozens of those Eucalyptus mini bottles of lotion and soap discs, , which I still had in my drawers after umpteen years, and finally threw them away in Sept.  must have been 25 soap bars (which had lost their scent) and 40 bottles of lotion, conditioners, and shampoo. 

yes, just another thing that was abused by many and is now gone away, along with the coffee 'card'and unlimited beverage package, under the guise of saving the environment (straws)

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, MrPantsOz said:

I'm just sad that I won't have tubes of lotion to bring home. I use that stuff everywhere, one in the car, one in my room, one at work, mum has a couple. I'm going to have to buy hand cream which will cut into my cruising funds.

Maybe the new pump dispensers are Princess' way to reduce "shrinkage" ... unless, of course, the entire dispensers make their way off ship.

Edited by pms4104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The after dinner mints and tooth picks are also eliminated cut backs I noticed on my last cruise. Soon everything will be cut back or a pay for it if you want it. The eye gel mask is no longer in the gold elite/suite bathroom upgraded amenity either. The more inclusive cruises like Viking or Azamara are getting more appealing by the dollar!

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Some of you might recall this all seemed to start with the amount of butter pats put on MDR tables.  It is now limited to a single pat per chair and is only replenished upon request of if the waiter sees all the butter has been used.

'Can I get you something from the bar?' yes, a glass of Cab and extra butter please ... thank-you ...

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

The eye gel mask is no longer in the gold elite/suite bathroom upgraded amenity either.

We just got off of Emerald and it was in our packet of stuff. My wife just left it on the counter in the bathroom along with the highly scented lotion.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The various "austerity" measures are becoming annoying.  We just returned (Monday) from 25 days on the Emerald.  During our initial meeting with our cabin stewardess, DW ask her to please keep our ice bucket stocked.  The third day when DW went to get some ice the bucket was empty (but still in our cabin fridge).  When she asked our stewardess about it she was told that because we had failed to use ice during one day, we would no longer get ice unless specifically requested.  This was to "save ice."  We quickly resolved the issue :).   In the MDR it even got more ridiculous.  Knowing that the lobster tails are very small (more like large shrimp), DW requested two and also asked that she not be given the accompanying crab cake.  Our excellent waiter brought her lobster main sans the crab cake but there was only a single tiny tail.  The waiter explained that he was only permitted to get a single tail and would have to return to the galley to pick up a 2nd lobster (which he did).

On another evening we were at a table of 8 when they had excellent scallops as a main.  Only one lady had ordered those scallops and suggested that we all try one.  She asked to waiter to bring 8 scallops and he headed off to the galley...returning empty handed.  He said the cook refused to give him 8..questioning whether they would all be eaten.  This was quickly resolved (after a quick request to the Maitre'd) but the waiter had to make still another trip to the galley.  The waiter did offer an apology explaining that all the austerity rules caused lots of grief for the waiters since it required multiple extra trips to the galley.

We also noted that the display cases at the International Café were only about half full of items in the morning.  In the past they had filled the display cases with multiple trays of donuts, pastries, etc.  Now, the displayed amount was truncated although there were always plenty of stuff in the back to replenish the cases.  The server explained it was another austerity measure (I guess if you see less you order less).  At the IC, DW noted that when she ordered tea she only got a single glass of hot water...when in the past she would be given a small pot (with plenty of water).  We were informed that this not only saved having to have the pots but reduced the usage of water!

Some of you might recall this all seemed to start with the amount of butter pats put on MDR tables.  It is now limited to a single pat per chair and is only replenished upon request of if the waiter sees all the butter has been used.

Hank

Note to self...stay of the Emerald.

Never had any of those issues on any of the ships/cruises we've been on...including the "single pat of butter" (during the one pat fluff on Cruise Critic.)

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Note to self...stay of the Emerald.

Never had any of those issues on any of the ships/cruises we've been on.

It is not about the Emerald as these measures are being rolled out fleet wide.  We also ran into a few of these "issues" on an August CB cruise.   I should mention that these kind of cut-backs and austerity measures have also been happening on many other cruise lines over the past 5 years.  In some cases they are relatively small changes (such as with the ice) but can also be pretty major such as when Princess replaced their anytime menu steak with a hamburger.  We also noticed that the shrimps used in the MDR seem to get smaller with every passing year.  

As long time cruisers we have learned to "roll with the waves" and adjust our expectations to the current cruise environment.  But we also temper that "adjustment" with what we are willing to pay for a cruise and now find ourselves moving towards the more luxurious lines where we can find more of the quality that we seek.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Supposedly passengers in suites and Elites are to get the "upgraded" toiletries, which entail separate tubes of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and bar soap, instead of the bottles hooked to the wall of the shower. Will this be changing??

I think the last 3 cruises or so, we have not received the elite toiletry kit.  We even asked for one from a room steward and he said they were not giving those out anymore.

9 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I think the last 3 cruises or so, we have not received the elite toiletry kit.  We even asked for one from a room steward and he said they were not giving those out anymore.

I was in a suite a couple weeks ago on the Regal and got them. I'm also Elite but my next cruise isn't in a suite...that's why I'm asking. If not, I'll just bring my own stuff.

8 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This seems contradictory to me of their health concerns they show in other areas.  Having any kind of communal dispensers in your cabin seems like a breeding ground for issues.

Not sure I see the problem.  The only people who will be using the dispensers in any particular cabin are the occupants of that cabin.  Of course, one might say...but what about the people on the prior cruise, or the people on the one before that?  OK.  Let's play the game.  Assuming that the dispensers are not cleaned between voyages, (an assumption that many are leaping to, which may be true, but has yet to be established), the total number of people using the dispensers in any one cabin is around 6-10 per month at most.  Now compare that to the number of people who have been using the communal dispensers in the restrooms outside of the HC, or outside the MDRs, or outside of the theater.  Number of people coming in contact with those dispensers every month?  Literally hundreds.  Maybe even measured in the thousands.  And that process has been going on since the beginning of time and not a single thread has been started about how unsanitary it is to have soap dispensers in communal restrooms.  But somehow 6-10 people a month using a dispenser is now unacceptable?  Don't see it.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Supposedly passengers in suites and Elites are to get the "upgraded" toiletries, which entail separate tubes of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and bar soap, instead of the bottles hooked to the wall of the shower. Will this be changing??

I don't remember ever getting shampoo or bar soap in the Elite bag. Always lotion and sometimes conditioner but that's about the only useful things in there.

4 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Maybe upgraded will mean bigger dispensers

22 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

They could probably save money by getting rid of the Kleenex boxes......taking the refrigerators out of the room, etc. because some passengers just want to see Princess save money.....why not.....they just seem to keep taking and taking but not really giving anything in return.....bread sticks anyone??

Not that the horse hasn't been beat into the ground previously, BUT:

Breadsticks are available upon request; they weren't being eaten, so they quit putting them on tables; they are avoiding waste. This helps keep fares lower. Flame away

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MrPantsOz said:

I'm just sad that I won't have tubes of lotion to bring home. I use that stuff everywhere, one in the car, one in my room, one at work, mum has a couple. I'm going to have to buy hand cream which will cut into my cruising funds.

Ditto, but life goes on!

I remember back when I cruise Sitmar in the late 80's, on disembarkation the luggage of the older passengers were searched before you when through Agriculture etc, as the ship got low on toilet paper and tea bags.  Turns out some of the oldies were 'nicking' toilet paper and tea bags!🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Not that the horse hasn't been beat into the ground previously, BUT:

Breadsticks are available upon request; they weren't being eaten, so they quit putting them on tables; they are avoiding waste. This helps keep fares lower. Flame away

Our experience is that prices are slow increasing on Princess ships and their itineraries.  They have been steadily Increasing gratuities, bottomless bubble packages, room service charges, social media packages, excursion costs, specialty restaurants and there are many more prince increases.   No way is Princess making all the little cutbacks they are doing just to improve the environment, reduce waste or create a better cruising experience.  They are beholden to MAJOR stock holders (not the 100 share stock holder) and need to meet profit expectations in an ever increasing competitive environment.  

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The various "austerity" measures are becoming annoying.  We just returned (Monday) from 25 days on the Emerald.  During our initial meeting with our cabin stewardess, DW ask her to please keep our ice bucket stocked.  The third day when DW went to get some ice the bucket was empty (but still in our cabin fridge).  When she asked our stewardess about it she was told that because we had failed to use ice during one day, we would no longer get ice unless specifically requested.  This was to "save ice."  We quickly resolved the issue :).   In the MDR it even got more ridiculous.  Knowing that the lobster tails are very small (more like large shrimp), DW requested two and also asked that she not be given the accompanying crab cake.  Our excellent waiter brought her lobster main sans the crab cake but there was only a single tiny tail.  The waiter explained that he was only permitted to get a single tail and would have to return to the galley to pick up a 2nd lobster (which he did).

On another evening we were at a table of 8 when they had excellent scallops as a main.  Only one lady had ordered those scallops and suggested that we all try one.  She asked to waiter to bring 8 scallops and he headed off to the galley...returning empty handed.  He said the cook refused to give him 8..questioning whether they would all be eaten.  This was quickly resolved (after a quick request to the Maitre'd) but the waiter had to make still another trip to the galley.  The waiter did offer an apology explaining that all the austerity rules caused lots of grief for the waiters since it required multiple extra trips to the galley.

We also noted that the display cases at the International Café were only about half full of items in the morning.  In the past they had filled the display cases with multiple trays of donuts, pastries, etc.  Now, the displayed amount was truncated although there were always plenty of stuff in the back to replenish the cases.  The server explained it was another austerity measure (I guess if you see less you order less).  At the IC, DW noted that when she ordered tea she only got a single glass of hot water...when in the past she would be given a small pot (with plenty of water).  We were informed that this not only saved having to have the pots but reduced the usage of water!

Hank

Hank ...

I'd hoped you were joking ...

But I trust you are not.

21 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Our experience is that prices are slow increasing on Princess ships and their itineraries.  They have been steadily Increasing gratuities, bottomless bubble packages, room service charges, social media packages, excursion costs, specialty restaurants and there are many more prince increases.   No way is Princess making all the little cutbacks they are doing just to improve the environment, reduce waste or create a better cruising experience.  They are beholden to MAJOR stock holders (not the 100 share stock holder) and need to meet profit expectations in an ever increasing competitive environment.  

Really? Apparently it depends on itineraries, ships and when you book. We have still been able to book ours at very reasonable rates. We also spend onboard (yes, I know, some find that to be foolish, but we are there to make memories), and find that their onboard amenity costs are par with other lines in the same category. Others are cutting back as well; it's not just Princess. I was only addressing your breadstick comment, for what it's worth, but overall, we still find the Princess product (and a couple of others in their category) to meet and exceed our cruising expectations, dollar for dollar. 

• Like 4