Ten countries - ten currencies how much to exchange?

firefly99999

I get a  small amount  like $50 worth but depending how long you are in port or what you plan to do  you may not need cash

Use a CC with no FTF or  a debit card & withdraw from the local ATM

What Countries are you visiting??

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 7:28 AM, firefly99999 said:

During our cruise we will visit ten countries.. I wonder what you more experienced cruisers do...

how much and which 💴 currency you exchange..or just rely on good ole $$ or euro??

thank you kindly

emily

Would be much easier to answer if you defined which countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I guess it would matter what those 10 countries are...

Use credit card. NEVER expect to be able to use dollars, or euros, in countries that have their own currencies. Not sure why people think that an appropriate thing to do.

I might be able to help you with that.  Some places welcome other currencies (USD, Euro).  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I guess it would matter what those 10 countries are...

Use credit card. NEVER expect to be able to use dollars, or euros, in countries that have their own currencies. Not sure why people think that an appropriate thing to do.

Simple,  because U.S. dollars are widely accepted.  Although this does not mean universally accepted and exchange rates can be unfavorable.

• Like 2

Since your visitng multiple ports in South Africa getting currency there could be handy though a lot of places especially tourist places would accept credit cards and I am told Mauritius and Seychelles is mostly credit card friendly too. Reunion Island uses Euros so if you have some it would be worth taking along. The other countries if you plan on buying something you will need their local currencies. If you want to know how much cash to take out there are plenty of websites that can provide you a breakdown of average costs.

Edited by ilikeanswers

The more touristy the location (around ports), the more likely they are to accept dollars and/or Euros.

And in some countries, dollars are better than the local currency, as they will give you a BETTER exchange rate.

Buenos Aires has been discussed in another thread, where you can change physical dollars at a better rate than credit card rates.

Not cruise destinations, but I have run into this in other countries.  

• Like 1

Apparently few posters bothered to look at the link provided up thread. So here is the itinerary: 

Cruise Itinerary: Cape Town, South Africa (03 Feb embark(+1)d1700); Mossel Bay, South Africa (05 Feb 1000-1900); Port Elizabeth, South Africa (06 Feb 0800-2000); East London, South Africa (07 Feb 0700-1700); Durban, South Africa (08 Feb 1000-2100); Richard's Bay, South Africa (09 Feb 0500-1600); Maputo, Mozambique (10 Feb 0900-1900); Saint-Denis, Reunion (14 Feb 0800-1800); Port Louis, Mauritius (15 Feb 0800-1800); La Digue, Seychelles (18 Feb 0700-1600); Mahe, Seychelles (18 Feb 1900(+1)1600); Male, Maldives (22 Feb 1500(+1)1800); Colombo, Sri Lanka (25 Feb 0700-2100); Galle, Sri Lanka (26 Feb 0700-1600); Phuket, Thailand (29 Feb 1000-1900); Langkawi, Malaysia (01 Mar 0700-1600); Klang (Kuala Lumpur), Malaysia (02 Mar 0800-1900); Singapore (03 Mar a1300(+1)disembark)

I wouldn't count on dollars or euros being readily accepted except at horrendously poor exchange rates in most places.  Use credit cards and/or local cash from a bank ATM. Since the OP embarks and has multiple port stops in South Africa it makes sense to have some Rand to use for small purchases.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

I had two days in England and five in Germany during/between cruises in June. Everything went on credit cards. The only issue was parking at a Pay-and-Display lot in England but eventually I found one where I could pay through a phone app.

On 12/7/2019 at 10:04 PM, George C said:

On our Europe cruise we converted about a thousand to euros got a good rate from local bank, also did use some credit cards . 

How good of a rate?