Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

H:

My son in law the Rangers fan went to the game this past Monday at MSG and met Aaron Judge.

That's pretty awesome. Your son-in-law is a lucky man. Does your SIL sit near where the celebrities usually sit?  They show them on the big screen during time outs and they seem to be always in the same area, behind the Rangers bench.

I'm planning on attending tonight's game but I have  a mild hamstring sprain (more on that later) that has me hobbling around.  Everyone is telling me I need to rest but I figure  with enough pain killers (Advil)  will get me thru the night.  I can rest tomorrow. 🙂

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Bob, I will throw in my 2 cents, because we have traveled much of this area with my son and his family.

As far as Napa goes, we have eaten at a couple places up there, but nothing memorable sticks with me.  When we drive there, we go past the Sonoma Speedway on the 121, and this route will pass many wineries on the loop.  One place on this route has something that looks very interesting to me, and I think I would like to try it one time.  Vintage Aircraft company has air tours in vintage aircraft.  We would see them flying over the wineries or restaurants when we were there.  This is their website. 

http://www.vintageaircraft.com/

For San Francisco, it looks like you are hitting the popular spots.  My son lives in Marin County, and they rarely go to the City because the homeless and drug problem is so bad now.  You will likely see many along the Embarcadero, including around Pier 39.  One seafood restaurant we enjoyed was the Waterbar.  It is along the waterfront, almost down to the Bay bridge.  They do have an extensive drink menu.

https://www.waterbarsf.com/

Not too far from Pier 39 is the market place at the ferry terminal.  It is unique to stroll through there, and it is south of the pier for the ferry to Alcatraz.  We definitely enjoyed our trip to Alcatraz.

If Muir Woods National monument interests you, it is a short drive beyond the Golden Gate Bridge.  I think that they have changed to a reservation system to go there now.

Lots of people walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, but it will be even colder and windier when you are there.

Chinatown in San Francisco is unique, but it has been years since we were there.

You probably have your plans already for Monterey, like making the 17 mile drive, visiting Carmel-by-the-Sea and maybe playing one of the golf courses.  If you do go to Carmel for the sunset gathering at the beach, if you walk to the right along the beach, you can climb up to one of the greens of Pebble Beach for an unauthorized photo op.  (I am not saying how I know this, but I just do. 😉)

Hopefully some others will chime in with some more info for you.  Enjoy, but be sure to take warm clothes.

Thanks so much for these ideas Mark.  We were thinking of maybe doing a hot air balloon in Napa but those vintage planes look like they could be a lot of fun (for me at least...maybe not so much for Micheline).  And I especially appreciate the tip about the Pebble Beach green!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks so much for these ideas Mark.  We were thinking of maybe doing a hot air balloon in Napa but those vintage planes look like they could be a lot of fun (for me at least...maybe not so much for Micheline).  And I especially appreciate the tip about the Pebble Beach green!

We did the balloon thing way back in 2006.  We had a lot of fun.  One couple did their own a few days later and they landed in a tree, and had a scare, but were ok.  It was a beautiful place to do one.  

When we were last out there in 2018, I tried for almost 9 months to get into the FL.  Insane.  I am, actually glad we didn’t, because the DW would have crapped at the price.  😂

We had dinner one night at Torc in Napa, and I enjoyed it.  Nothing spectacular but good.  Had a magical breakfast at Olive and Hay when I ordered the Lemon Ricotta pancakes.  They were so good, it is the only way my DW wants to have pancakes now.  Yum.

JC

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm planning on attending tonight's game but I have  a mild hamstring sprain (more on that later) that has me hobbling around.  Everyone is telling me I need to rest but I figure  with enough pain killers (Advil)  will get me thru the night.  I can rest tomorrow. 🙂

Try not to overdo it with your hamstring sprain tonight, HBE.   Enjoy  the game!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Greg.

How are your knees and shoulder now?

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Feel better Greg. Pain is no fun.

Thanks for asking. Replaced knee is doing a lot better. Still have some numbness and occasional nerve pain. Left knee was really bad until I saw another doc who specializes in non surgical options. He injected it with Syndisc which works as a lubricant. So far knee is much better. Fingers crossed I can kick the can down the road and not have replacement on my other knee.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for asking. Replaced knee is doing a lot better. Still have some numbness and occasional nerve pain. Left knee was really bad until I saw another doc who specializes in non surgical options. He injected it with Syndisc which works as a lubricant. So far knee is much better. Fingers crossed I can kick the can down the road and not have replacement on my other knee.

I'm happy for you Greg that your knee is a lot better.

Sorry about the numbness and nerve pain.

One of Pauline's friends has recently had a partial knee replacement after a successful hip replacement but she is in lots of pain.

Hopefully you can avoid getting the other knee replaced.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Safe travels wished for you! I am looking forward to those pics of your feet knowing that you are enjoying yourself.

I’m curious how do find out if a plane will be arriving and staying overnight to be the first flight in the morning?

Is OB a Podiatrist? JK, I think. 🤔

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Huge and tasty strawberries today... Though I wish I was on a cruise and they were covered in chocolate 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.f9175e432f9b72185155e26486e009be.jpeg

Israel has wonderful produce.  Strawberries are as red inside as they are outside.  Juicy, sweet and yes, big.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

That's pretty awesome. Your son-in-law is a lucky man. Does your SIL sit near where the celebrities usually sit?  They show them on the big screen during time outs and they seem to be always in the same area, behind the Rangers bench.

If you recall I told you that my SIL works with the son of a Ranger Hall Of Fame guy.He also works with the daughter of a guy who played for the Yankees He has met many former Rangers over the years.

I hope you feel better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

When we flew BC to Sydney [no direct flights anyhow between Tel Aviv and Sydney], we could have had a lay over of just 2 hours in HK and then continue, with Qantas, to Sydney.

Under NO circumstances would I book an international flight with only a two hour layover.... way too much can go wrong with Customs/Immigration, and often you have to change terminals which can entail collecting your luggage, going through Customs, then traveling to and checking in again in the new terminal, and going through the security line again, too.  

And my ex is like your DH... as soon as the engines fire up, he is OUT COLD.  One time he woke up with his head on the shoulder of the young lady (college age) sitting next to him.  He apologized, saying that he flies so much that he just passes out as soon as they get going, and she replied, "Yeah, I noticed!"  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Try not to overdo it with your hamstring sprain tonight, HBE.   Enjoy  the game!!!

Thank you. Usually I take the train to Grand Central Station, then a 20 minute or so walk to Madison Square Garden. But today, I will treat myself to some overpriced parking and park across the street to minimize my walking. But it all balances financially out as I will be drinking less since I'll be driving afterwards.  Might actually be cheaper😁

20 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you recall I told you that my SIL works with the son of a Ranger Hall Of Fame guy.He also works with the daughter of a guy who played for the Yankees He has met many former Rangers over the years.

I hope you feel better.

Yes, thank you for refreshing my memory.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We were thinking of maybe doing a hot air balloon in Napa but those vintage planes look like they could be a lot of fun (for me at least...maybe not so much for Micheline). 

If not the vintage planes, how about a seaplane ride over San Francisco?  They fly over the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, etc.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1157f5fc8fb08704957a64fd9a4196b2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.15045ba69e3b19b99e554a85ce95bad3.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

When we were last out there in 2018, I tried for almost 9 months to get into the FL.  Insane.  I am, actually glad we didn’t, because the DW would have crapped at the price.  😂

I tried also but it's booked solid.  Looks like they open booking at the beginning of each month for the following month, i.e. start booking on Feb 1 for March.  I'm guessing it books up in a matter of hours.  Would be a once in a lifetime thing.  We have friends who ate there and said it was well over $1000 per couple with wine, but worth every penny.

3 minutes ago, mets07 said:

We visited more wineries on the Sonoma side.  We did enjoy Silverado and Rutherford Hill in Napa area.

Rutherford Hill is on my list.  My problem though is that my list is too long.  Need to narrow it down to 2 or 3 a day or we'll pass out.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Mentioning this because it’s a cruise port - Auckland, New Zealand is under a state of emergency due to flooding.  240mm of rain.  International airport closed due to flooding and Elton John’s concert cancelled at very short notice.

Speaking of Elton John - my BIL drove 2 1/2 days from South Australia to see Elton John last week.  heavy rain during the concert and they got absolutely drenched but loved every minute of the concert. 

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 8

49 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you. Usually I take the train to Grand Central Station, then a 20 minute or so walk to Madison Square Garden. But today, I will treat myself to some overpriced parking and park across the street to minimize my walking. But it all balances financially out as I will be drinking less since I'll be driving afterwards.  Might actually be cheaper😁

Yes, thank you for refreshing my memory.

There is another option.You can take the railroad to Grand Central then take the bus to Eight Ave and then the bus south to MSG.It i# a lot better than driving in Manhattan.

This may seem hard to believe but I have never driven in Manhattan.

55 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Dani, love you♥️

Love you too, Marietta 🥰

31 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@dani negreanu those strawberries!! ❤️

The grandkids like them, and we buy fresh for them every week end. When the older saw how big they are, he started dancing 😁

15 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Mentioning this because it’s a cruise port - Auckland, New Zealand is under a state of emergency due to flooding.  240mm of rain.  International airport closed due to flooding and Elton John’s concert cancelled at very short notice.

The flooding made the news here too, along with a terrorist attack at a synagogue in Jerusalem, killing 7 and wounding 5 .....😢 The bloodshed, on both sides, never ends 😢

• Like 5