Now I'm Angry. She wants to ban cruising!!

babs135

Yup .... A clickbait journo who has set themselves particularly low standards of truth and accuracy and failed to achieve those standards.😀

Research ? Nil by the look of it.

Almost as laughable as the one out today whereby an ‘expert scientist’  has determined that air travel caused the spread of CV.

Really? 

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Yup .... A clickbait journo who has set themselves particularly low standards of truth and accuracy and failed to achieve those standards.😀

Almost as laughable as the one out today whereby an ‘expert scientist’  has determined that air travel caused the spread of CV.

Really? 

What parts are untrue/inaccurate please?

• Like 1

well there's definitely an agenda there. Steers away from wording like corporations and targets the industry. Good for her, championing causes that effect all of us.  However changes won't come fast enough for her. " We could make parks more accessible by public transit, include arts funding in a Green New Deal so that people can see more concerts and plays, and even simply decrease the number of hours we work each week.  "   Ms. Noors generation is not interested in doing these things, well maybe reducing the hours worked each week. 

Edited by c-boy

7 hours ago, babs135 said:

Lockdown is definitely getting to me.  I'm taking this article personally.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/ban-cruises-1843160777

Hi Babs135.......  breath... count to 10...... lockdown is getting to a lot of us

this Dharna  Noor is climate activist  and loves jumping on the soap box

as went far as telling us.... quote "" I,too, enjoy getting drunk in gorgeous places "

One never gets "" drunk"" particularly on a cruise ship.... and remember

the last thing they need is a giant, disruptive cruise ship floating around   LOL

one could say   fruitcake

Cheers Don

• Like 1

4 hours ago, c-boy said:

well there's definitely an agenda there. Steers away from wording like corporations and targets the industry. Good for her, championing causes that effect all of us.  However changes won't come fast enough for her. " We could make parks more accessible by public transit, include arts funding in a Green New Deal so that people can see more concerts and plays, and even simply decrease the number of hours we work each week.  "   Ms. Noors generation is not interested in doing these things, well maybe reducing the hours worked each week. 

Dictating how folks will spend their leisure is a little too big brother for me.   The whole article seems designed to hit all the trendy motto/slogan words.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I'm not sure why that is laughable.  If an infectious person traveled somewhere by air, then bingo!   

• Like 6

So take out the perjorative trendy adjectives and just debate the facts of the article.......don't dismiss it because of a few descriptive words.  That would be just as wrong as dismissing any facts coming from someone wearing a MAGA hat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, evandbob said:

So take out the perjorative trendy adjectives and just debate the facts of the article.......don't dismiss it because of a few descriptive words.  That would be just as wrong as dismissing any facts coming from someone wearing a MAGA hat.

Any article that uses so many emotional catchwords, regardless of which "hat" is being worn, is one I disregard. It is a diatribe.  Probably written because right now cruise lines are fair game for headlines.    If it were written in an informative way with supporting credentials, I would pay more attention.  And, just for the record, I don't think that cruise ships are especially good for the environment. 

• Like 1

Of course it is mainly sensationalist yellow journalism — but there were some valid points made.  The pollution, the destruction of many fragile places which cannot survive the mobs cruise ships bring, the enclosed environment which clearly fosters some contagion. 

The blind rejection of such valid points simply because they question the “business as usual” hopes of unthinking cruise addicts is little better than the broad damnation of the entire industry in the article.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course it is mainly sensationalist yellow journalism — but there were some valid points made.  The pollution, the destruction of many fragile places which cannot survive the mobs cruise ships bring, the enclosed environment which clearly fosters some contagion. 

The blind rejection of such valid points simply because they question the “business as usual” hopes of unthinking cruise addicts is little better than the broad damnation of the entire industry in the article.

I understand your point.   I can reject the article without rejecting serious environmental issues and realistic solutions.  

People around the world are noticing enviromental benefits to us pausing our lives, cleaner air, cleaner water, animal populations resurging, coral and sea beds regenerating. Obviously we cannot pause forever but perhaps it might give us some persepective on the impact we have on Earth and that maybe some modifications to our way of life might not be such a bad idea🤗.

• Like 4

Based on some of the questionable statements, I guess the author has never been on a cruise (much less a "vacation cruise"). Too many things are wrong with her statements. Everyone from CC should write to her and offer some thoughts. Unfortunately, she does not include information on how to email her, only her Twitter thing.

Jim

Edited by JimnKaren

What these social justice warriors don't get is that simply ranting and demanding a ban without offering alternatives for travelers is a sure fire away to be ignored.  There are legitimate criticisms to be made of the cruise industry but offering suggestions to make cruises less polluting, less environmentally damaging and better for crews would gain a more positive response and might actually be brought to fruition. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Really? 

You don't need to be a scientist to know that air travel contributed to the spread of coronavirus.  While it wasn't the root cause, it certainly helped spread the disease world wide--and to places that might not have been affected otherwise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

You don't need to be a scientist to know that air travel contributed to the spread of coronavirus.  While it wasn't the root cause, it certainly helped spread the disease world wide--and to places that might not have been affected otherwise.

See "Coronavirus by Air: The spread of Covid-19 in the Middle East" from the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-52537663/coronavirus-by-air-the-spread-of-covid-19-in-the-middle-east

I do not get mad at opposing viewpoints. I would never have clicked on a link from earther.gizmodo.com . I still have not clicked on it or read the article or blog post or whatever it is. There are too many reputable websites and commentators on both sides of the political spectrum for me to get involved with something like this. 

Thank you for the link.  I would take that writer with a grain of salt.  That writer should come to PA where we have lots of nursing homes and the Covid-19 had hit them very hard -- lots of deaths in them.

The writer is expressing public perception. Public sentiment right now is that cruise ships are infested with germs and that it is crazy to go on cruise ships.