CL/SL future when cruising returns.

45 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Yes, we may have been with you for that dinner.  John Denton was (is) was the best.  I remember we were the only ones left in the DR but we never noticed the time.  At our last dinner with him he told us RCCL was forcing him to retire, but lo and behold, when I looked a little while later he was back.  He lived in Florida and preferred the small ships.

We loved seeing JD on Grandeur over the past few years.  He made a world of difference on Grandeur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Wow...you sure got some replies on this one Graham.  😉   

Guess I am just so tired of the politics of the SL/CL conflict...we have just given up and simply enjoy our glass of wine before dinner on our own balcony.  No waiting for a seat...best view...and very relaxing.  🤗😙🍷

All the lounges are getting so crowded now...and the DL has been made much worse with so many D baby boomers coming on board.  Yikes...just 80 points to make it to D?  And now D+ kicked out of CL going back to the DL?  Yeah...not worth it to go there.  

However...to keep to subject.... IMHO (and everyone has one of course)....the CLs are finished.  Some smaller ships don't even both to change the name on the door to SL...they just kick out the D+  and use it as an SL.  

My wife and I were diamond after only 7 cruises and we are far from boomers. 80 and 175 are the reason there are soooooo many D and D+. Should be 175 for D, 700 for D+, and P should be like 1400. Heck, they could change it at any time I guess......

We now have a toddler and a infant who are also D with only 3 cruises between them......

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You ask people about their specific accommodations? Why do you care. 

I guess if they offer the information to you, that’s another story. But I’ve never gone up to anyone and said  “hi my name is  Xxxx   I am a XX level member of the crown and anchor program and I am in XX type of cabin. 

M

I've struck up conversations with many new acquaintances over the years. I don't recall any of those talks turning toward cabin accommodations or C&A level. It just isn't something that I would have an interest in talking about.

If I ever make Pinnacle I would never let them introduce me at some get together or wear the pin. I'll happily accept the perks but no one would need to know my level any more than they need to know my level now. It is just the way I am. I tend to value my privacy.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you play any instruments? We are putting a band together. So far it is Dave, M8, and me. I think Graham volunteered as lead singer.

I can play cowbell but more importantly I have been known to buy many a rounds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

The best times were had when John Denton was Hotel Manager.  He really cared about those who were D+.  Do you remember the special lunch gatherings at the Wacky Seagull?

Great guy

Edited by CSHS1979

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Pat.

Your opinion is always valued and very similar to mine.

Since they took Sauvignon Blanc from the Diamond list the lounges lost their appeal for us and even in Europe the DLs are now full or nearly full.

We went into the CL on Explorer in October but I agree the CL name is finished and they will be SLs when cruising returns.

We prefer to  have a drink in the champagne lounge and then use our vouchers in Chops or Giovanni's where the wine tastes nicer.

One of the Oasis Class SL's still serves Sauvignon Blanc from what I understand

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

The best one (IMHO) was on Freedom in the huge forward lounge.  We had sooooo much fun in that one.  😁  The best times were with huge turn out for the "Diamonds in December"  program.  Everyone so festive and happy with the holiday season.  

Pharaohs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

He lives in New Smyrna Beach.  Is he still with Royal?  Also remember Wacky Seagull parties  I believe he was on the Grandeur last I had heard

He was back and forth with Empress and Grandeur 

40 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Do you play any instruments? We are putting a band together. So far it is Dave, M8, and me. I think Graham volunteered as lead singer.

I have no musical talents.  Although, I would have liked to have been a rock star when I was 15.  Then I found out how dumb they are....

jc

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I have no musical talents.  Although, I would have liked to have been a rock star when I was 15.  Then I found out how dumb they are....

jc

Who said anything about having any musical talents to be a member of our band. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I can play cowbell but more importantly I have been known to buy many a rounds. 

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You're in.

6 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Why does this picture come to mind when I think of your little band?  😄

image.thumb.png.cb4d97882ab980aed569f8a58a8e1ce3.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

This thread is about guessing whst might happen 😉

Thanks.

I wonder if all the DL/CL/SL will be locked during the day and only opened when there is a staff member/consierge available to ensure covid19 measures are implemented.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

I wonder if all the DL/CL/SL will be locked during the day and only opened when there is a staff member/consierge available to ensure covid19 measures are implemented.

100% on this one.  For a while, at least

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

If there is any left over credit afer purchasing the cruise maybe RCI feels it is better to let it ride and hope it expires? If it is offered as OBC it will most likely get used. I really don't know the answer. But I am pretty sure RCI would like best for there to be no left over credit.

Agree, with all the above. 

13 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I can play cowbell but more importantly I have been known to buy many a rounds. 

I was going to offer my cowbell skills.  There is nothing wrong with more cowbell though. 

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Why does this picture come to mind when I think of your little band?  😄

image.thumb.png.cb4d97882ab980aed569f8a58a8e1ce3.png

LOL... I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I took music lessons in the 6th grade.  It was on a flutophone (recorder).

All city schools went to South field house (about 500 6th graders) and played that painful thing.

It was a right of passage.

You had to buy the copied music that came from a old fashioned mimiograph machine, and buy the flutophone.

I had two older brothers and my father was a mill right so money was tight and practically non existent.

So I had a used flutophone and barely readable music sheets.

I kept getting called down to principals office being harassed by the penquins (nuns) to buy my stuff.

Our catholic school tuition was only $10 a year since the church collection paid the rest.

My brothers always told me they spit in the flutophone so dont breathe in.  True love.

I dreaded that then but.............................

If you want I will play the flutophone for the band.....

Stay healthy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yogimax said:

Yes, we may have been with you for that dinner.  John Denton was (is) was the best.  I remember we were the only ones left in the DR but we never noticed the time.  At our last dinner with him he told us RCCL was forcing him to retire, but lo and behold, when I looked a little while later he was back.  He lived in Florida and preferred the small ships.

Cool!  I just walked out to look at the photo of the dinner...it was May 30th, 2017.  Was that the one?  I remember him telling me how upset he was that RCI took a lot of the money away from planned updates on MJ...using it instead for the way over budget repairs on recently bought back Empress.  

Edited by island lady

16 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

It's interesting to hear about this HD and that HD and what they do....or do not do....for passengers. Makes me wonder if there is a bonus for not spending their budget. Or do they even have a budget. LOL...   

Another of the very best HDs (IMHO) and also one of my favorites...is Robert Taggert.  Had a dinner with him on Radiance Alaska some years ago.  Really nice guy, very intelligent and knows his music!!  

18 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You ask people about their specific accommodations? Why do you care. 

I guess if they offer the information to you, that’s another story. But I’ve never gone up to anyone and said  “hi my name is  Xxxx   I am a XX level member of the crown and anchor program and I am in XX type of cabin. 

M

To answer question #1 is No, and I don't care where they are. I chat with P's all the time in the CL and SL and I stand by my statement. To insinuate that I go up to fellow cruisers and say  “hi my name is  Xxxx   I am a XX level member of the crown and anchor program and I am in XX type of cabin" is insulting.

Edited by airbusdrvr

17 hours ago, molly361 said:

He lives in New Smyrna Beach.  Is he still with Royal?  Also remember Wacky Seagull parties  I believe he was on the Grandeur last I had heard

Was really looking forward to seeing him on the Grandeur...but so much for that.  Both of my June and September Grandeur cruises were cancelled.  😞 

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Was really looking forward to seeing him on the Grandeur...but so much for that.  Both of my June and September Grandeur cruises were cancelled.  😞 

And not looking good for our December Harmony one either

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Cool!  I just walked out to look at the photo of the dinner...it was May 30th, 2017.  Was that the one?  I remember him telling me how upset he was that RCI took a lot of the money away from planned updates on MJ...using it instead for the way over budget repairs on recently bought back Empress.  

OH MY!!!  Yes, we were on that cruise... Majesty of the Seas, departing May 29th.  We were the couple whose last name began with an "H."  My wife would have the picture.  I'll have to look for it.