Dine My Way - new MedallionClass enhancement

dides

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I guess we will have to work this out if we continue cruising. 

Yes definitely sounds like you'll need to decide if you want to continue cruising under the new parameters

• Like 1

Maybe I didn't read this closely enough, but does this apply to ALL diners or just those that choose ATD?  I'm not trying to diss the traditional diners, but I hope TD remains and they are ineligible to use Dine My WAY... one or the other IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Maybe I didn't read this closely enough, but does this apply to ALL diners or just those that choose ATD?  I'm not trying to diss the traditional diners, but I hope TD remains and they are ineligible to use Dine My WAY... one or the other IMO.

from the Princess.com website: https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/dine-my-way/

What is unclear is if in future guest will still be able to select early / late traditional dining at booking or not. As of this afternoon you still can

F3D03322-A727-490F-8DDF-FE87DDEEF2DA.jpeg

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

DH @Ken-ATL and I use ATD with a slight difference.  Since DH is uses a chair, it is sometimes harder to navigate the dining room when it is full.  So, we always head directly to the head waiter when we get onboard.  They set us up with a wait staff areas that has two or three tables we can get to easily.  So, when we make our reservation, it pops up on their screen to put us in that area.  Occasionally, we have to wait, but never has been long.  So, we get the benefit of ATD but get the same waitstaff every night.  It just means that sometimes we have to be a little forgiving on the wiat times.

• Like 7

While it appears you have the ability to request something like traditional dining, I hope it can just be specified up front for the entire cruise as in the past rather than have to be cobbled together.

For us, the dining takes precedent over the other activities, we just want late traditional table for 2, set it and forget it.

JMO.

Even when we chose Anytime dining on a 35 night cruise we found we tended to eat around the same time most nights. My ideal would be to be able to reserve one of two tables in the same section of a specific dining room, sow we got the same waitstaff, and switching between having a two-top on nights when we wanted a quiet dinner, and a six-top when we wanted to be sociable. With the added advantage of possibly having different people sharing the six-top on those nights.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

While it appears you have the ability to request something like traditional dining, I hope it can just be specified up front for the entire cruise as in the past rather than have to be cobbled together.

For us, the dining takes precedent over the other activities, we just want late traditional table for 2, set it and forget it.

JMO.

We use traditional dining which based on the 5th statement in the photo dides provided is still an option. 👍

F6AB737D-F262-45EE-BD4F-72559D37D6E1.jpeg

• Like 4

The way I read it....

In theory, you could set it up with a usual preferred time each night. Then each day you could make a modification to what you feel like that day, because it says you can modify it even on board...or what am I not reading that doesn't indicate this? Or maybe I am making assumptions?

• Like 1

We've always done traditional dining but found (on our last cruise) that  sometimes the timing didn't always work out with other activities we wanted to participate in...  When we didn't show up, our table mates were worried that we didn't like them which was so NOT the case (They were delightful!!) so for this next cruise (hopefully Jan 16 2022) we signed up for ATD.  Now, after seeing this, (Dine My Way) it makes me think that this could be a wonderful option!  And it IS an Option!  Folks that want traditional dining would still be able to do so...  I think that this is a creative way for the industry to think "outside the box".  they need to somehow make dining venues less crowded (social distancing) and perhaps move folks who would opt for a buffet, to consider another option...  I like the idea of sitting down and ordering ANYWHERE!!  And not everyone has to do it but if enough are willing to try it, it might be a great alternative! 

Edited by MishelleMcc
  • Like 4

One of the issues with traditional dining is that the seating is assigned for the whole cruise. If someone tries it then decides they prefer the buffet then that space goes unused for the rest of the cruise. With this new system those spaces could be used on a day to day basis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dides said:

This was just announced by Princess UK - a new MedallionClass enhancement that should be ready for cruises this summer. Some of the features have yet to be rolled out on the App.

image.png.97f9e0dbddafd5e5444ebafda2c4ac12.png

Princess Cruises today unveiled Dine My Way, another flexible MedallionClass enhancement that makes it easy for guests to pre-plan and tailor their dining experiences, and pairs with the OceanNow on demand service to offer the ultimate in onboard dining flexibility and convenience.

Dine My Way gives guests the freedom to make reservations in onboard dining rooms and speciality restaurants at times they prefer and with whom they wish to dine. Dine My Way also helps to optimise capacities in dining rooms and restaurants on board, manage wait times, and gives guests significantly more flexibility.

When making a reservation, guests will be able to:
·        add additional friends or family members with whom they are travelling
·        select their preferred pace of dining (relaxed, quick)
·        indicate their desired seating location (near window, close to entrance) in the Ocean profile
·        share dietary preferences and allergen information
·        pick the same venue and dining time each night

“We believe guests are going to love the control and customisation Dine My Way offers,” said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. “Instead of restricting dining choices during the pandemic, we’ve been able to expand the options for our guests and thanks to the unique, innovative capabilities of the OceanMedallion, reduce wait times and eliminate the need to stand in line.”

In addition, Princess’ OceanNow on demand menu has been expanded to include entrees and beverage options from restaurants through-out the ship with guest's requests delivered directly to their location. OceanNow orders can be made using the MedallionClass app on a smart device, via the stateroom TV, or by having a crew member place the order on the guest’s behalf.

OceanNow will also include many expanded personalisation options so guests can order their favourite coffee, select steak sauce toppings and choose pizza condiments, providing more customisation than ever.

“Guests have always appreciated the convenience of OceanNow, and because the pandemic has expanded people’s use of on demand direct delivery services, we think even more guests will embrace the ability to order what they desire and have it delivered to them wherever they are on board,” notes Mario Siebaldi, Princess Cruises senior vice president of Guest Experience. “It not only prevents unnecessary queuing, more importantly it elevates the guest experience.”

Princess MedallionClass holidays are enabled by the award-winning OceanMedallion, a wearable device that pairs with IoT-driven innovation to significantly enhance and personalise the guest experience.

In addition to service on demand, Princess MedallionClass holidays are also marked by streamlined embarkation and disembarkation, touchless payments, and keyless stateroom entry. Additional contactless capabilities accessible using smart phones and tablets include way-finding; family and friends locator; and 

Edited by trbarton

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We use traditional dining which based on the 5th statement in the photo dides provided is still an option. 👍

F6AB737D-F262-45EE-BD4F-72559D37D6E1.jpeg

Not very clear. Seems to imply that you can pick the time and not be limited to the normal early seating time and late seating time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dides said:

In addition, Princess’ OceanNow on demand menu has been expanded to include entrees and beverage options from restaurants through-out the ship with guest's requests delivered directly to their location.

Seems to imply you can order on demand from the dining room menu, but does not actually say so.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Seems to imply you can order on demand from the dining room menu, but does not actually say so.

I am thinking this is from the all day "restaurants" such as Salty Dog, etc.  I could be wrong, but that would make sense from a delivery perspective.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Not very clear. Seems to imply that you can pick the time and not be limited to the normal early seating time and late seating time.

This is what it looks like, but believe there will be time windows like there is for on line specialty dining reservations, traditional dining and so on. When ships return to full capacity and covid restrictions are gone the system may be difficult to operate for both crew and passengers.

Note: whilst the idea of this post was meant as tongue in cheek as I wrote it there mat be a touch of truth to it. 

This does look interesting but I fear it may not work well in practice given I can't order my Medallions to be delivered to Southampton without a delivery charge (an error I'm told) let alone having them delivered to my home.

May be sort the basics out first! I can imagine being onboard and the app charging $6 delivery just to eat in the MDR.

I wasn’t sure if you have to book before we get onboard. Normally we have Anytime Dining and when we find waiters we like that are quick we try and stick with them . You don’t always find that out on the first night. Sometimes we have had lovely waiters but oh boy are they slow, everyone that came in the same time as us have left and we are still waiting for the dessert. We like to be in early and out ready for the theatre in plenty of time to pop back to the cabin for a few minutes or to have a quick look in the shops or pop up shops around the atrium if it’s a port day and they have only just opened

• Like 1

Looks Like Princess is putting everything online with both the medallion and on your stateroom TV.  The muster drill is on your tv; and now you will be able to pick your dining, and other things.  I love it.  About time.

• Like 4

I was on one of RC’s largest ship.  In their cruise planner before the cruise, you could book your anytime dining time each day.  At the dining room, there were 2 lines, one for reservations and non reservations.

I would like if they posted the daily menu on the Medallion instead of going to see the menu outside the dining room.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Phabric;  I think online menu's will be coming to the medallion.  It should be pretty easy to add that to the medallion under a dining option. 

Probably. Most likely closer to sailing dates and subject to change.  For the Exec. Chef fairly easy on repeating cruises, example Alaska. More difficult on cruises sold as b2b's, and those once a season voyages.