Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Have you ever been to the Peanut Butter restaurant in Manhattan ?

I've heard about it but never have been there. I believe the original restaurant has closed but still sell jars of their various flavored Peanut Butters in local supermarkets.

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I came out to our covered deck while it was sprinkling.  A few minutes later it started raining 🌧 hard.  No problem,  thankful for a good rain.  Can't tell much from the pic but......

Judging by the steady stream of large drops close to the window, might be time to clean the gutters. 🙂😇

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe  time to have the septic tank  pumped. Do you know when the last time it was pumped. The solids may be very high in the tank. How old is this house?

Pumping the tank would only be a temporary fix if the issue is the leach field though , see below.

Another issue could be the leach field, after a while sometimes these leach fields need to be dug up and replaced. When the grey water leaves the septic tank it goes into these leach fields, there is  a sand like material under the lines, after a long time the fields the grey water just doesn't filter down though the sand anymore. So water just lays in those pipes, so when you use water in the house and it drains out it has no  where to go.

Do you have a lot of large trees around the septic tank and  and where the leach field is? Did the roto rooter guy take off the top cover on the septic tank and inspect anything? He should have looked to see where the sewer line comes out of the tank into the leach field? If he saw that pipe coming out of the tank to the field covered with water, then that means the leach fields are not taken the grey water run off well enough.

If you are trying to sell this house and have a sewer inspection by the buyers, this will have to be corrected or money off for the new owners to make the repair if that is what is needed.

Thank you for that explanation, Jim! The septic tank was pumped out about 10 years ago and has received very little use. There are a lot of big trees on the property, so it very well might be the leach field. We looked, and the Roto Rooter guy looked, and we still couldn't find the cover to the septic tank. More research is needed. We actually plan to move to the house for at least 2 years and sell the Bay Area house. 😊

• Like 3

I try to not think about my septic system when I eventually put my house up for sale. It was built in 1964 and I replaced the rusty, 750 gallon metal tank with a 1,000 gallon fiberglass tank around 2000-2002 time frame.  The contractor notice that the output lines to the leach fields go deep into the back yard, very deep....much deeper than it should.  Since our back yard is partially on a slope, the thinking is the previous owner filled in part of the back yard to make it more level.

Fingers crossed there will not be a problem with the leach fields.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've heard about it but never have been there. I believe the original restaurant has closed but still sell jars of their various flavored Peanut Butters in local supermarkets.

Peanut Butter and Company closed in 2016.I was there the day it opened in 1999.It was on Sullivan Street.I worked in the area at that time .Everything on the menu was made with peanut butter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

My doctor is off on Friday's so I am going to see how I do over the weekend and call next week on Tuesday. Right now I feel better but tired. I am not having the dizziness and vertigo issues and I'm drinking more water. It could be that I have been just pushing myself too much. I've been on a mission to lose weight and have been working out hard. Everyday I do the elliptical for 45-50 minutes standing (watching an old episode of Below Deck) then another episode sitting down on the elliptical pedaling. On the commercial breaks I use a dumbbell and do 15 arm raises each arm and then take the dumbbell and do lateral swings from side to side for 20. After the Below Deck episode is over I then do pushups (As many as I can do) and then 200 crunches. My wife thinks I'm just doing way too much. Maybe I am.

Worse case if I don't feel better I'll go to urgent care.

Puppies have been sleeping me all morning. Lizzy likes to plant her head on my cheek. I need to have Linda take a picture of it.

The only time I was on a diet was in 1966 when I lost 66 pounds

I have a picture of myself from when I lost all the weight.That has been my incentive to never gain the weight back again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

The only time I was on a diet was in 1966 when I lost 66 pounds

I have a picture of myself from when I lost all the weight.That has been my incentive to never gain the weight back again.

Good for you. I've needed to lose weight for a long time. I just didn't have the time to exercise. Now I'm retired there is no excuse.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

@Jimbo

You are right on about all this septic...............cra*

In fact they must have noticed something because a few years back they installed this triple water filtration system for their well water.  At first I thought it was a gimic, but they lived to talk about.

When I first started dating the spouse and I would go over to just visit or whatever, when asked if I wanted something to drink I always said Diet coke, no ice.  Their water always tasted funky. And Ice, well frozen well water.

They had stains in the shower, and toilet as well as same stains in dishwashers, they said "hard water" I said ...."No *ucking way am I drinking that, let alone have ice.

The house was always clean, between the cleaning lady and the DH, what I saw of it except for all the hoarding behind closed doors.

Their well is piped down in the front yard and the septic is in the backyard.

When we built in 1993 we have a massive leach bed in our front yard after the holding tanks, and we have levers to switch from one field to another.

We are city water, and it comes from Mark and Susan's neighboring lake. (Over the border into Penn.)

We have had to show proof of pumping our septic which is required every three years.  They live in the same town, but different  mailing address to neighboring city,  but they vote with us and they have never ever had to show proof of pumping out the septic, and if they ever had to they would be *hit out of luck, because we do not think they every did it.

But it is not our concern and like I said we are lucky.

By the way nice pictures of your dig for your septic leach bed.  We have a build book of everything from electrical, to plumbing, to septic installation.  Must be a guy thing. But it saved our *ss on many an occasion.  Like when we installed surround sound in the family room, after the build.

Take care

Those pictures I posted of the leach field was at my parents house. Their house was also around 60 years old and did not meet up to the current codes for a 5 bedroom house, there was a crack in the septic tank and and what leach fields there were were not doing their job or even large enough for a 5 bedroom house.

Code is for how many people you have living in the house, they have a standard of how much water each person uses per day. When I lived there as a child my  Father added 5th bedroom in the basement. 

After we all left when we got older just my mom and Dad lived there, so septic was fine for them..........but then when they each passed we sold the house.........Septic system failed, so had to install the tank and larger leach fields to be able to sell the house.

Like you said before, you were very lucky to find a buyer to buy as is with "CASH"  I think the way loans are given out now YOU MUST have a sewer inspection pass for approval of the loan...........Well that is the way it is in the State of New Jersey.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Thank you for that explanation, Jim! The septic tank was pumped out about 10 years ago and has received very little use. There are a lot of big trees on the property, so it very well might be the leach field. We looked, and the Roto Rooter guy looked, and we still couldn't find the cover to the septic tank. More research is needed. We actually plan to move to the house for at least 2 years and sell the Bay Area house. 😊

You will surely want to find that cover and have someone inspect things if you are going to move there.  Not sure where you are if you have freezing weather or not...............but always seems to be the time when most people have septic problems...............Ground is frozen solid, can't find the lid, snow covered over the leach field, pipes in the ground, waste water doesn't drain as well out of them because above the ground is covered in snow. Needs sunlight.

If you aren't sure about where leach field and you still have a a lot of large trees around the area........Most likely you have lots of roots clogging up those leach field lines.

Check in your basement or crawl space where the main sewer line leaves the house......Most likely the septic tank will be straight out from that adn the leach field will be stright out behind that in a lower part of the yard..............Remember everything runs out by gravity only.......Cause we all know ***** doesn't run up hill!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I try to not think about my septic system when I eventually put my house up for sale. It was built in 1964 and I replaced the rusty, 750 gallon metal tank with a 1,000 gallon fiberglass tank around 2000-2002 time frame.  The contractor notice that the output lines to the leach fields go deep into the back yard, very deep....much deeper than it should.  Since our back yard is partially on a slope, the thinking is the previous owner filled in part of the back yard to make it more level.

Fingers crossed there will not be a problem with the leach fields.

The way they test your fields.............is they come there with a large very large container of water.........They then go to your Septic tank and fill all those gallons of water into your tank. Say they do this at 5pm, they then come back the next day..lets say 9am............They then measure how many inches of water went down in your tank in those 21 hours..............They  then calculate how many gallons of water drained through your leach field in the that time.

They have a whole chart on how many gallons should have went down into your drain field in that  amount of time..............This way they know or not if your leach field is working as it should.

What they are hoping to see is the pipe going out to the leach field is able to be seen with no water over top that (pipe)opening , if they can see that pipe clearly, that means all the water they put in the day before was able to drain through your drain field...........if the pipe opening is still covered over with the water..........means your fields are working to slowly.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Trying to explain that I have to get up and leave as the high school has its first football game tonight...

20220902_152832.thumb.jpg.68c2a47e86c1eb5cc388fd60aa65b189.jpg

This is what Jade thinks about the plans...

20220902_152806.thumb.jpg.6c17a87e13ac05da954ad45785bf5f75.jpg

Oh how I love that cat! I don't think I could get up too.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My doctor is off on Friday's so I am going to see how I do over the weekend and call next week on Tuesday. Right now I feel better but tired. I am not having the dizziness and vertigo issues and I'm drinking more water. It could be that I have been just pushing myself too much. I've been on a mission to lose weight and have been working out hard. Everyday I do the elliptical for 45-50 minutes standing (watching an old episode of Below Deck) then another episode sitting down on the elliptical pedaling. On the commercial breaks I use a dumbbell and do 15 arm raises each arm and then take the dumbbell and do lateral swings from side to side for 20. After the Below Deck episode is over I then do pushups (As many as I can do) and then 200 crunches. My wife thinks I'm just doing way too much. Maybe I am.

W.O.W. 😲

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It could be that I have been just pushing myself too much. I've been on a mission to lose weight and have been working out hard. Everyday I do the elliptical for 45-50 minutes standing (watching an old episode of Below Deck) then another episode sitting down on the elliptical pedaling. On the commercial breaks I use a dumbbell and do 15 arm raises each arm and then take the dumbbell and do lateral swings from side to side for 20. After the Below Deck episode is over I then do pushups (As many as I can do) and then 200 crunches. My wife thinks I'm just doing way too much. Maybe I am.

Maybe it is me, but that sounds like a lot! I run for exercise but I do 5 days a week and take 2 days off for "recovery" .....  I think the days off are very important physically and mentally. Anything done too much stops being fun or rewarding IMHO.  

Congrats on all your efforts and results!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Maybe it is me, but that sounds like a lot! I run for exercise but I do 5 days a week and take 2 days off for "recovery" .....  I think the days off are very important physically and mentally. Anything done too much stops being fun or rewarding IMHO.  

Congrats on all your efforts and results!

I think ultimately that's what I want to do. I have just been really motivated to get the weight off plus with two cruises coming up in Sept. and Oct. I want to eat anything I want and not have to worry too much.

• Like 6

We just finished a mostly martini lunch which is our normal for Friday, I got some good news earlier in the week . I know I had a very small tumor in my brain and after another mri it is still very small less than a inch , most likely will just still monitor but could consider radiation, have a appointment with doctor to discuss in a couple of weeks. My younger brother had a tumor the size of a orange removed from is brain a couple of years ago and he is doing fine . 

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, George C said:

We just finished a mostly martini lunch which is our normal for Friday, I got some good news earlier in the week . I know I had a very small tumor in my brain and after another mri it is still very small less than a inch , most likely will just still monitor but could consider radiation, have a appointment with doctor to discuss in a couple of weeks. My younger brother had a tumor the size of a orange removed from is brain a couple of years ago and he is doing fine . 

Great news George. I'm glad you are being proactive. Wishing you the best.

• Like 3

We have two tanks here in Florida.  Who knew?  We found out when we had the septic company come pump (because I was not sure when if ever it had been done). One is for the washer and one is for everything else. 

In Texas we had an aerobic system.  It had to be inspected quarterly, so we would pay the inspector, he would come out, walk around to the back, press the button to make the alarm sound (in case the air pump failed), walk to the front door and put a tag saying he had been there on the door, send the paperwork to the county and we would be all good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1