Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't lose hope. I was supposed to get a block on Adventure, just before the shutdown, but they ran out. Sure enough 4-5 months later it showed up at my home. I did email C&A about it once to follow up just in case the LA on the ship screwed something up.

I thought maybe if I called and was the squeaky wheel they might move a little faster.  hahah 😂😂  Well I tried  🤷🏻‍♂️ Sounds like I’ve got a few more months to wait.  

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

That's the type my Mom has now too.  SO much safer for her because she actually pushes it instead of picking up the walker so it didn't scratch her floors.  Plus, she can put stuff on the seat to move from one room to another instead of trying to carry stuff. 

I will never forget the walker my mom used.  It did not have wheels.  When she was walking down a sidewalk she came to an uneven slab.  She didn't  like lifting it so she would slam the front 2 legs against the slab and then when it flew behind her she would step forward and wait for it to swing back.  Not to safe.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 11:58 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric and i n uber on way back to Port after dropping off the kids, luggage and rental car

Quite a line up outside the ship...wasn't this long 20 minutes ago.

I think when our cruise is over we will also need to get to that same car rental agency? Are you using Uber again or do you have some other way to get home?

Wondering how long it will take for an Uber to pick us up? or should we somehow reserve someone else ahead of time?

May not be that easy to get an Uber or anyone else for that short of drive. I believe it's only 3 or 4 miles at the most.

Edited by Jimbo

21 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This looks like you can adjust the height of the handles or are the knows adjust something else.

The one that I have was donated to me by the wife of a guy who passed away.He was 6’1 and I am 6’5.I called the company that makes it.They told me that I can buy an extension for $35.00.I did that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

This looks like you can adjust the height of the handles or are the knows adjust something else.

Yes, those knobs up by the hand grips adjust the handles, no tools needed.  The seat cushion folds up and there is a strap that you pull up and the rollator folds to go in a car.  

edit to add:  It has brakes too that you squeeze to stop as you are moving but you can also push them down to set the brake to be able to sit down and not worry about the rollator moving.

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, those knobs up by the hand grips adjust the handles, no tools needed.  The seat cushion folds up and there is a strap that you pull up and the rollator folds to go in a car.  

edit to add:  It has brakes too that you squeeze to stop as you are moving but you can also push them down to set the brake to be able to sit down and not worry about the rollator moving.

My mom loved her’s after her hip surgery. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

My mom loved her’s after her hip surgery. 

Bill stayed home a couple of days after my first hip replacement. I had my walker. And then we figured out that he could just put snack and sandwich items on the top shelf in the fridge. And leave my box of cereal and the bowl on the counter, and I managed just fine. 

I don't even want to talk about medical equipment and my mom. After she broke her ankle, we had rented both a walker and a wheelchair for her use at the rehab/assisted living place. Her boyfriend started taking her back to her house on weekends. And eventually, she just never returned to the facility, and didn't even notify them. When she just left, the facility apparently marked her as deceased on the paperwork to SS and Medicare. The rental place called me and apologized, but wanted to know if she had died, because Medicare thought she had? 

It was a huge mess, but I eventually got it straightened out. She was fine, not dead. Just a little not all there and careless. And the rental place had to send a person to the facility to find their stuff, because they were unwilling to help locate it. 😮

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dpostman said:

I think it is generally recommended to fill cooking pots from cold water to reduce chances of contaminants, minerals and off flavours that might come from the hot water tank.  It might be different if hot water supply is "On Demand" rather than from a hot water tank.

dp

Majority of cooking shows say to start with cold water to boil.   I know they highly recommend placing potatoes in cold water to cook for mashed potatoes.  

• Like 7

We always start with cold water. It might cost a few more pennies on your bill to heat it up. But it would cost the same to let it run until it is hot. And in California (in most years) we are conscious of the amount of water we are using. ☺️We still have a drought charge, on our latest water bill. LOL. 😀

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I need to research the Rollator.  That might be a good option while  on the ship.  

rollator.jpg.963001700b2ef6a3ec474e7189095307.jpg

Especially if that's a cooler under the seat... 🤔  Everyone will have one now. 😉

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've never heard of using cold water to avoid hot water tank sediment, but it makes sense.  We have a tankless water heater though.  Our biggest issue is lack of patience.  If we need boiling water for lobsters, pasta, etc., it's much faster to use hot water from the sink to get to a boil.  We do use our pot filler if we're sous viding something in a large pot and time doesn't really matter.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cats should not be eating pizza in my opinion .

It's Papa Murphys so it's not "real" pizza. 😜

You'll be happy to know your namesake does not eat human food. Not even a nibble or sniff. No interest. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

If you want wheelchair assistance, you can fill out the form ahead of time.  You might want to consider ordering a shower chair for your cabin.  We have had to do that for my DH post surgery once, made it a lot safer for him to stand.  Lots of information here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

Good advice! 

I called RCI and reserved a wheelchair upon check in.

@Ozark_Kid No problem transitioning to a wheelchair from a rolator to check in. The "pusher" is experienced in getting you checked in and on board with little problem. 

The best was in Galveston where they have a special handicap check in counter.  No pushing ahead of other passengers waiting to check in.

If needed, you can also ask Special Needs for a raised toilet seat in your bathroom cabin.

I know you can request all of this on-line but I prefer to speak to a human on the phone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

O

42 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You'll be happy to know your namesake does not eat human food. Not even a nibble or sniff. No interest. 

Our Lucy (cat) goes crazy for a taste of yogurt, sour cream, and cheese. I always pour out the liquid that forms on the sour cream into a bowl for her. She also likes the "juice" from canned tuna.

Milo, on the other hand, only cares about his kibble.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We do use our pot filler if we're sous viding something in a large pot and time doesn't really matter.

I usually get hot water from the sink for sous vide cooking so I can see that all is starting good faster. I once started porkchops, came back a couple hours later to find that it never started.

25 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

O

Our Lucy (cat) goes crazy for a taste of yogurt, sour cream, and cheese. I always pour out the liquid that forms on the sour cream into a bowl for her. She also likes the "juice" from canned tuna.

I swear, our cat Maxx can hear the sound of me opening up a can of tuna from a dead sleep at the other end of the house.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, derorim said:

I never really understood the need for a pot filler over the stove.  I find it easier to carry a pot of hot tap water from the sink to the stove than to carry a pot of boiling water back from the stove to the sink.  I'd find a pot emptier more useful, but I don't think anyone's invented that yet.  

I sort of agree, until I cook a big batch of king crab legs.  That container of water must weigh 50#.  

JC

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

O

All of the cats we have had loved the juice from the tuna cans , most loved the tuna also, but we just have one cat currently and he will not eat tuna but loves the juice . Gracie who passed last year loved all food , Italian cheese , meatballs, wife once tried to eat ahi tuna while sitting on the couch, she was attacked by both cats trying to steal her meal. 

• Haha 10