Does anyone else worry they will randomly sneeze or cough?

firefly333

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Anyone else worry about stuff like this?

I do.  I have a dry cough brought on by my blood pressure meds.  It sneaks up on me unexpectedly, and I worry what people think of me if it happens during  my (brief) outings these days.

My wife has COPD and will sometimes go into coughing spells, she is not contagious. If it bothers others, too bad, every person  coughs or sneezes at one time or another. Anyone that says they don't is full of BS.

• Like 1

If the person sneezing or coughing is wearing a mask as recommended in order to protect those around him/her and is 6 feet away I'm not concerned.  Now if they aren't adhering to social distancing protocol I would most likely scowl (under my mask) and move away because I have no idea if it is allergies, a cold or covid-19.  In this day and age making any type of comment could be taken as 'fighting words' by some people and I prefer to avoid confrontation.

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If you are out to sea and no plants or trees do people still have allergies?  Idk since I'm not allergic, just curious

My husband has seasonal allergies - they kick up in the spring and fall. He's allergic to the vegetation in our area (lots of pecan orchards). He says he clears up really well on a cruise. In his case, the allergen isn't around so he's fine.

Well I and most of my family do have some allergies during this time, also sometimes people do sneeze or cough, nature of being a human right up there with flatulence.

Why should people be worried you'd be wearing a mask, and so will those around you, carry-on.  Oh yes maybe you aren't wearing a mask ( you bad ) and the others aren't either ( their problem if you are, LOL )

When I go out now, I do wear a mask out of consideration of my community members.  I do cough once in awhile, due to (take your choice) allergy, remaining cough from bronchitis (can last months) or vocal chord dysfunction.  I feel like I need to add a little bill board around my neck that says "NOT CONTAGIOUS".  

My cough this winter from what we thought was bronchitis (now, we're thinking COVID in early February), was so violent that I went past just a fart when I coughed.  A friend told me it was a "shart."  Try to go to work when that is happening!!!  

People need to get over being the "new sheriff in town".  Coughing and sneezing is perfectly normal for a number of reasons -- allergies, sinuses, medications, chronic respiratory disease, dust in the air, ingesting food or drink the wrong way, even something like fresh ground pepper at table.

Unless you are a doctor with super diagnostic powers or a dog trained to diagnose COVID-19 in infected humans, stop giving the stink-eye.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Can you spell "tissue" or "handkerchief"? I have benign allergies and sniffle a fair amount and sneeze occasionally. I have tissues in a pocket or handbag. But also, of course, the mask, people. The mask.

We were on a 17 day cruise from Rome to Dubai in Feb/March.....   With all the Covid stuff erupting around us I was really worried that someone would flip as I was in the middle of my "Late winter coughing period"  Which I go through EVERY year...   

I think I ate about 300 cough drops in the 28 days we were overseas.

I suffer from seasonal allergies and a photic sneeze reflex meaning I sneeze when I go from a darkened interior into bright sunshine.  I do my best to cover the sneeze. Most often when I sneeze I pull the neck of my shirt up over my nose and sneeze into my chest.  

I have had a chronic cough for years--and do sneeze quite a bit too.  Besides allergies of all kinds, finally got the cough mostly under control--at least much better--when, after years of allergy shots, allergy med of all kinds, etc., my doctor tried using medicine for acid reflux--what a difference that has made for me.

I still cough, but not the horrible, uncontrollable coughing spells that could last for many minutes.   Note:  I did not especially notice any other symptoms of acid reflux for my dry nagging cough and excessive nasal drip.

My cough was embarrassing and truly uncontrollable at times.

I still suffer from allergies, but with meds am somewhat under control, compared to before.

People should not be offended if they cough or sneeze and those around them choose to keep their distance.  Whenever I am in an airport waiting area, if someone starts coughing I move and sit elsewhere.  I have no clue why they are coughing and prefer not to put myself at risk of getting sick.  I'm not going to continue sitting next to someone constantly coughing just because I'm afraid of offending them.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, cruisemom42 said:

People need to get over being the "new sheriff in town".  Coughing and sneezing is perfectly normal for a number of reasons -- allergies, sinuses, medications, chronic respiratory disease, dust in the air, ingesting food or drink the wrong way, even something like fresh ground pepper at table.

Unless you are a doctor with super diagnostic powers or a dog trained to diagnose COVID-19 in infected humans, stop giving the stink-eye.

This!! And yes- I am allergic to lots of stuff in spring and fall, take the allergy meds and nose sprays, but it will sometimes trigger the asthma too and coughing opens up the lungs. This winter has been brutal! I am actually on a ten day steroid taper to get stuff back under control with breathing.

With all the Judgy mcjudgersons out there now I am truly afraid of random coughs/sneezes (by me!) now. People are forgetting there are lots of reasons NON covid related to cough. I always cover my cough, turn away or move away as much as possible from anyone else etc. But I am in the town that the nutjob thought it was a good idea to take a rifle to walmart right after a mass shooting to "prove his rights".  Most of the town is sane but it only takes one internet doctor/vigilante nutjob.

And no one here is wearing masks. I have mine and will wear it when out and close to others (my hairstylist! Oh and that stylist also in my town but I never go to those "chop shop" hair cutting places)

I miss the days when we didn't have to look upon each other with fear of a cough "killing grandma".

• Like 1

Interesting question.  If I hear someone cough I would not jump to the conclusion they have CV.   But there are plenty of people in panic mode will are doing exactly that.  

Anyway, if you need to cough, you know what to do.  

• Like 1

I completely understand your concern.  I have chronic post-nasal drip which causes a throat-clearing cough periodically (in fact, I coughed in the time that it took to read this thread 🙂).  I do get concerned about it, but at the same time, as long as I am healthy and following appropriate protocols, I couldn't care less what other's think.  I'm really concerned, though, about being pulled out of line for "extra screening" due to having a single cough within hearing of someone at the port who, as we all know, are not the most well-trained individuals to begin with.

4 hours ago, mom says said:

Why would you assume they don't?

Because OP wrote:

"I sneezed the other day in a grocery store but luckily wasnt close to anyone."

Because they were concerned.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Because OP wrote:

"I sneezed the other day in a grocery store but luckily wasnt close to anyone."

Because they were concerned.

And from that you assumed they couldn't have been in possession of a tissue or handkerchief? Why? Should everyone who has posted that they have been known to cough or sneeze in public be required to also note whether they have had these items at hand?

Alrighty then, I'll go first- yes I do.

Edited by mom says

1 minute ago, mom says said:

And from that you assumed they couldn't have been in possession of a tissue or handkerchief? Why?

Oh, for crying out loud, as a one time thing I'm guessing that a tissue or a handkerchief would suffice.

24 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, what are they concerned about then?

I thought they were afraid of getting the evil eye - or worse - from people around them, just because of the cough or sneeze, regardless of wearing/using a mask/hankie/tissue

We do wear our masks and carry tissues (well, I carry the tissues, not Mr Chew) ... and my allergies have been absolutely terrible this spring.  Even with a mask on, when I sneeze I aim into my elbow or under my sweater, and people still give me dirty looks.  I don't care that they do so, but some people might.

It's kind of interesting that most of the people giving me the stink eye are NOT wearing masks!!

Edited by Lady Chew