Sailings now cancelled through April 30

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The common flu is much more dangerous to kids than covid. If they would required covid vaccinations for kids but not flu vaccinations for kids, that would sure tell that it's not a medical decision.

You must be either a medical researcher or a physician, then.

Which is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, logan25 said:

Speed way up?  We can only speculate.  But for the sake of argument, project California can vaccinate 100,000 per day.  With population of 40 mil. And two shots each, it will take 800 days (400 days x 2).  Or maybe herd immunity at 75% vaccinated, so 600 days (300 x 2).

So many factors to achieve success but very sobering.

They are going to have a mass vaccination site at Disneyland. Not sure if it will be set up. Maybe the area between Disneyland and Calif. Adventure.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-11/coronavirus-vaccines-to-be-administered-at-disneyland

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The common flu is much more dangerous to kids than covid. If they would required covid vaccinations for kids but not flu vaccinations for kids, that would sure tell that it's not a medical decision.

In November 2 of 100,000 children were hospitalized with Covid. 
Today 17 of 100,000 children are hospitalized with Covid 

Pediatric hospital beds are far less plentiful than adult beds. 
Hospitals are struggling to keep up with beds for those in need. 

This is why children need immunized for Covid (and should be getting flu shots as well) 

37 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

They are going to have a mass vaccination site at Disneyland. Not sure if it will be set up. Maybe the area between Disneyland and Calif. Adventure.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-11/coronavirus-vaccines-to-be-administered-at-disneyland

It will be in the parking lots. The park is closed. 

Edited by Coralc

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is why children need immunized for Covid (and should be getting flu shots as well) 

Do you know if those kids at the hospital are being treated for Covid-19 as their primary ailment or are they there for a non-Covid issue and are asymptomatic, but have a positive Covid-19 test result?  I’m not trying to be argumentative, but there’s a difference.  

My family member was at the hospital for a procedure during the summer.  This is in NE Florida.  We were told of the 80 Covid patients there at the hospital, 95% were not there for Covid-19, but had other issues for which they were being treated.   Since there was a 100% Covid-19 testing requirement upon admittance, anyone who tested positive was counted in the Covid patient count even if they weren’t actively being treated for it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atgood said:

Do you know if those kids at the hospital are being treated for Covid-19 as their primary ailment or are they there for a non-Covid issue and are asymptomatic, but have a positive Covid-19 test result?  I’m not trying to be argumentative, but there’s a difference.  

My family member was at the hospital for a procedure during the summer.  This is in NE Florida.  We were told of the 80 Covid patients there at the hospital, 95% were not there for Covid-19, but had other issues for which they were being treated.   Since there was a 100% Covid-19 testing requirement upon admittance, anyone who tested positive was counted in the Covid patient count even if they weren’t actively being treated for it. 

Covid 19 as the admitting diagnosis. 

Hospitals aren’t running out of beds because of a blanket testing policy, we are running out of beds because patients with Covid need the use of the beds. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

5 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

How can they do that if the vaccine hasnt been tested on children?

This is absolutely true.....You may think California is on the fast track but us local's

aren't seeing that right now.

But good news is that Costco is going to be a designated provider...which we're personally happy about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

This is absolutely true.....You may think California is on the fast track but us local's

aren't seeing that right now.

But good news is that Costco is going to be a designated provider...which we're personally happy about.

If anything, Costco knows how to move a line up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Testing is ongoing  right now for the age group of 12 to 18 I believe

EUA will be achieved by summer and I’m sure vaccination will be a requirement for attendance in most public school systems by next year

IF lucky Testing ends in Summer, best case, After would take months to Manufacture and give it. If actual cases drop takes longer to get through the testing. Don't see it. US Military no set plans to give Vaccine, in one yr only one Active Duty person has died. Where I'm at up to 1/3 workers in some Hospitals are declining Vaccine, State wide 26%. Even Biden an Faucci have said no Mandate and if a State tries make it Mandatory not sure they'd win in Court. Also many schools start in August, my Grand Daughters districts start 3rd week July. Don't get me wrong whenever I get chance get it I will get it that day and protect the ones around me.  Though there are 200 Million in first Groups before they get to me. County I'm in now my Mother 75, COPD and Heart disease will be while before she gets hers. Only 225 appt for Vaccine, once a week,next 3weeks are filled with no other dates available yet. No wait list, whenever they open a date it's first come first serve sign up on line... ..  US Numbers still running same 74% all CV cases are ages 18-64, but 81% all deaths are 65+

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bobal said:

Surely the only people who booked that did it with a view to getting yet another FCC. Can't believe anyone thought it would go ahead 😂

If RCI as a company, had enough confidence that European sailings were going to go ahead in April, by announcing the early launch of their brand new flagship, and putting it on sale in the UK market back in October; then I had enough confidence to book. Even if it was a cruise to nowhere which I suspected it may turn out to be..... I certainly did not book just to get yet another FCC which I have zero interest, and I will be applying for a refund and not an FCC. 

39 minutes ago, little britain said:

If RCI as a company, had enough confidence that European sailings were going to go ahead in April, by announcing the early launch of their brand new flagship, and putting it on sale in the UK market back in October; then I had enough confidence to book. Even if it was a cruise to nowhere which I suspected it may turn out to be..... I certainly did not book just to get yet another FCC which I have zero interest, and I will be applying for a refund and not an FCC. 

Or another way of looking at it - they had enough confidence that people would be seduced by the idea of sailing on a new ship and saw an opportunity to grab more deposits 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well ,its not the Covid that causes the problem, but rather the seasoning. I mean its not really a season right now for cruising. I might think of Spring or even Summer at the moment but definitely not Winter. This season is dead already 

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Maybe contracts are dated first of the month for accounting or orientation/training purposes, but Independence is in the middle of a cruise on June 1.

I just saw a copy of the contract and the contract runs from June 5 2021 to December 27 2021. 

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

IF lucky Testing ends in Summer, best case, After would take months to Manufacture and give it. If actual cases drop takes longer to get through the testing. Don't see it. US Military no set plans to give Vaccine, in one yr only one Active Duty person has died. Where I'm at up to 1/3 workers in some Hospitals are declining Vaccine, State wide 26%. Even Biden an Faucci have said no Mandate and if a State tries make it Mandatory not sure they'd win in Court. Also many schools start in August, my Grand Daughters districts start 3rd week July. Don't get me wrong whenever I get chance get it I will get it that day and protect the ones around me.  Though there are 200 Million in first Groups before they get to me. County I'm in now my Mother 75, COPD and Heart disease will be while before she gets hers. Only 225 appt for Vaccine, once a week,next 3weeks are filled with no other dates available yet. No wait list, whenever they open a date it's first come first serve sign up on line... ..  US Numbers still running same 74% all CV cases are ages 18-64, but 81% all deaths are 65+

Didnt NY or someplace already announce covid test will be required for schools to reopen. I'd have to google who said it but some state already said kids will require covid vaccination.  

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Didnt NY or someplace already announce covid test will be required for schools to reopen. I'd have to google who said it but some state already said kids will require covid vaccination.  

It was California.  They are not following the science.  Is anybody surprised?  😏 🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Well ,its not the Covid that causes the problem, but rather the seasoning. I mean its not really a season right now for cruising. I might think of Spring or even Summer at the moment but definitely not Winter. This season is dead already 

Many book Caribbean sailings for Jan and Feb. Plus this time of year is wave season where many will book cruises in general.

13 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You must be either a medical researcher or a physician, then.

Which is it?

While I was not the original person to make the statement about the flu being worse than Covid in kids.  As a medical professional that deals nothing but exclusively with critically ill babies I would have to agree based on current data.

Given the most recently updated data from the CDC when the nation was at 257,685 deaths ONLY 222 of those deaths was under the age of 18.  During the 2019-2020 flu season 188 pediatric flu deaths were reported but the CDC estimates this is likely closer to 600 due to under reporting.  All this data is freely available on the CDC website.

We can all likely agree we are counting nearly every single death that is Covid at this point due the mass testing of anyone admitted to a hospital combined with the intense effort to report all Covid deaths.

Anecdotally, I will say that I have seen more issues from rhinovirus, rsv, flu, adenovirus, etc then I have seen caused by coronavirus thus far.   It took 5 months into the pandemic before we even had a child at the age of 6 die of Covid in our state,   And that was the youngest age in our state at the time. That person also had congenital heart disease and a miriad of other comorbidities.  And we aren’t talking simple things like hypertension and diabetes.

Furthermore, in my hospital system we have temporarily shutdown our pediatric ward to make room for adult Covid patients which we have been overrun by. Current count in my hospital is about 93 Covid hospitalizations.  I have also heard of other Childrens hospitals and wards being converted to make room for more adult Covid patients in other areas as well.

The pool in many of your backyards and neighborhoods is a greater danger to children than Covid at this point as drowning kills about two kids/day in the United States. Those are the facts.  

We are still trying to get a grasp on MIS-C and there have been 1200 reported cases of that linked to Covid in the US.  That is still something that needs to be investigated further.  There are 3,000 cases of Kawasaki disease per year as a comparison point and that can cause long term complications as well so it’s not the only inflammatory process out there.   There are many other’s as well for those that are not as familiar with pediatric pathologies.

Is Covid awful. YES!!!  Is it killing Americans by the thousands per day. YES!  Is it awful to kids. Thank God, but NOO!!

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Many book Caribbean sailings for Jan and Feb. Plus this time of year is wave season where many will book cruises in general.

These two months are considered Pinnacle season. Fares, typically, are at their lowest. Working families can’t generally take this timeframe to cruise. It’s a different environment onboard. 

M8

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

www.cdc.gov - much better info than the TV.  Or just stay in your eco chamber !  Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

778652395_ScreenShot2021-01-13at8_30_31AM.thumb.png.96e6b43d084e710b47738db47e955593.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheMastodon said:

www.cdc.gov - much better info than the TV.  Or just stay in your eco chamber !  Whatever helps you sleep at night. 

778652395_ScreenShot2021-01-13at8_30_31AM.thumb.png.96e6b43d084e710b47738db47e955593.png

Yes.  Exactly my point.  Kids deaths are pretty much nonexistent.  Child abuse, car wrecks, drowning, are much bigger problems for kids. 

That link was Slightly more updated than the CDC page I was referencing.  But this page lumps 15-24 together.  The one one I was referencing stratified out the group from 5-17 instead of 15-24 like the above charge.  I have attached a screen shot of the page I was looking at on the CDC.  Gives a more accurate picture of the younger age group by making the cutoff 18 instead of 24.

8AEE556D-DE03-4E09-8362-31B0222AB7C9.png

6 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Yes.  Exactly my point.  Kids deaths are pretty much nonexistent.  Child abuse, car wrecks, drowning, are much bigger problems for kids. 

That link was Slightly more updated than the CDC page I was referencing.  But this page lumps 15-24 together.  The one one I was referencing stratified out the group from 5-17 instead of 15-24 like the above charge.  I have attached a screen shot of the page I was looking at on the CDC.  Gives a more accurate picture of the younger age group by making the cutoff 18 instead of 24.

8AEE556D-DE03-4E09-8362-31B0222AB7C9.png

It's pretty clear what this thing is and people still have a hard time accepting that the vast majority of people who die avg 2.5 comorbidities and are over the age of 80.  Yes, I am aware there are outliers.  

• Like 2