Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

18 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

How was the fish. It looks good.  Last year I had a bad experience with it in the MDR.  I couldn't understand the waiter was saying they didn't have their regular fish and they were substituting it with another.  I love eating good fish and making a taco out of it would be nice.  Allure now has El Loco Fresh. I might try that trick.

The fish was really good!  That was actually my seconds on the fish.  It was fresh, hot and crispy.  I don't like the fish they serve in the MDR.  Done it and I regret it.  We will be on Allure for the first time ever in a few weeks so we will check out El Local Fresh in the WipeOut Cafe.  It's considered a snack place.

By the way, on the Specialty Dining on our sailing, we really wanted to try Solarium Bistro.  I know that Solarium Bistro is not a specialty restaurant but you need reservations for dinner.  But on this particular sailing, that restaurant was closed off to us regular folks and used for Pinnacles only - all day long- for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The reason they said was because there were too many Pinnacles on our cruise.  They said it was orders from Miami even though there was hardly anyone in there any of those times.  They could've been flexible and open it up.  It was really a waste of food and there were a lot of disappointed folks.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I am thinking about getting a small 2-4 person hot tub.  So a question to all the people who have one - what do you have, do you like it and what are the pros and cons?   

We bought our hot tub here online, at the time a year and half ago supply around here was very low because everyone was buying them because of covid everyone was staying home.

. So we just decided to buy online here , we bought this tub. When we bought it was about $1500 lower in cost. They all come with free shipping.

Our wait at that time was about 6 months. You would have to either call them or email them to see what the wait time is now, hopefully not as long.

https://www.integrityspas.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAHITIAN_TV_SPA

Additional you will need to have a good base and have it wired up by an electrician. I built our concrete base, digging it out with my tractor and bucket. Had a lot of guidance(help)( from electrician in our neighborhood) doing the electrical work myself.

They do have smaller hot tubs there also.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

I am thinking about getting a small 2-4 person hot tub.  So a question to all the people who have one - what do you have, do you like it and what are the pros and cons?   

Ours is a 4 person one that we have had for a little over a year.  We both love it, and we use it almost every day, even in the cold winter up here. I don’t think we would like anything smaller. 

I did put a gazebo over ours, so we can use it rain, snow, or shine. 

D99F8278-35D6-4AEB-9B43-16FBD1B6D5B3.thumb.jpeg.a781c07cf3ba8dcc20de281065409d6e.jpeg

For ours, I do our maintenance once a week, and it takes about an hour to pull the filters and clean them, test water and add chemicals.  

Every 4 months, I drain the tub, clean and refill. Test water, add chemicals and replace filters. It takes about a half day.  This is the empty tub when I drained and cleaned it last week, and the hose was in to start the refill. 

D7655B37-CE8A-41D8-A1C9-A5D37AF75438.thumb.jpeg.8bb1bfa72894f9c1de4c9ddef64e69b1.jpeg

For us, it is a great way to relax.  Ours is a Coast Spa that we bought from our local Pool and Spa dealer. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Debbie,

I went to get my coffee card and I asked if I can carry it over to another cruise. Patisserie lady said yes if I am back on the Anthem (which we will in Jan). Completely different answers from last year. Good, since I am not going to be able to finish it. 
Also, I would not do the dining reservations in the manner I did before (pre pay and then change to use Bogo or voucher) since when they refunded me, they also cancelled my future reservations. So I will wait till I get onboard as suggested by gs. @Jimbo hope you will read this since I had mentioned something in a prior post. 

Think what we will do is the first day we board just go to one of the specialty restaurants  and ask them what is the best way to handle on 3 night dinner package and still not lose our two B1G1F coupon nights so we get 5 total nights for dining. At the same time make all 5 reservations.

57 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Jim, things look to be coming along well. Unfortunately hiccups come with construction but it sounds like yours are very manageable, even though unfortunate. 

Yes, it hasn't been to bad, pretty sure we are going to end up with those extra sets of wrong doors since it isn't costing us or our contractor any extra and the cabinet making company which made the mistake  doesn't want them back because they are special ordered.

My Wife wishes the job was completed  weeks ago though because the upstairs is turned upside down and now with it being around the holidays we also have about 6 Christmas trees to put up besides trying to get all the pots and pans and dishes back into all the new cabinets.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

We had a 2- (maybe 3 cozy person) Soft Tub for quite a few years. You still have to do all the chemical things. It was a gift from my MIL. And we really enjoyed it for a while. I had to give it up when I came down with Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) and couldn't handle the heat. Most of the people here that used to have hot tubs, have since gotten rid of them. Including us. We sold the Soft Tub and the 6-person fancy hot tub at the other house broken up and taken to the dump. (It was big) So, I would suggest looking for a used one or thinking about a less expensive Soft Tub. 

https://softub.com/

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

+ 1  🌹  Debbie, @Sunshine3601

She is feeling better, not perfect, still tired and congested.  Negative for covid.  Chris has been fine.  He has been working from home since last week.  Just incase.

We will head to our shore house Friday morning to do a deep clean and put some outdoor furniture in shed.   

Our next tenants arrive in December.

Chris and Donna plan on coming to LBI Saturday and we will do our celebratory dinner at one of the restaurants on the island.

Thank you for asking and thinking of us🥰

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

We are getting there after a few issues on the cabinets.

The 4 upper cabinets by the range hood have the wrong pattern on the doors, they will be swapped out with the correct doors once they come in.

The pantry doors to the left of the fridge space, the upper ones should be just like the pattern on the lower doors on that cabinet.

Tomorrow the microwave and drawer will go in the stand up cabinets on the right.

Also they will be cutting in a hole behind the range hood for the duct for the oven fan.

Next week the countertop templet will be measured and made.

Still have to install all hardware handles on the island and all the rest of cabinets on the wall.

Hang  the 2 Pendant lights and finish installing ceiling can lights. Install mantle on Fireplace.

Also moulding above all the wall cabinets still needs to be installed.

Next after that have the brick guys come back to do the floor.

Exciting times !

20221122_160832.jpg

Looking really nice.  I especially like the cabinet color for the island.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL....I watch that every Christmas season. Cracks me up every time. "Joy to the wooorld..."  😆 and then....(fizzle) no lights!  Some of the best scenes are with the neighbors. That huge chunk of spouting ice that goes crashing through their window...too much! 

And let's not forget Cousin Eddy!

7 hours ago, George C said:

I was in junior high, one of the places we always take out of town visitors is the 6th floor museum where Oswald shot Kennedy, I highly recommend this if you visit the Dallas area. 

We take all of our out of town visitors there as well.  Seeing the black X on the exact spot on the road where JFK was shot is always chilling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@LionesssSue, I was so happy and relieved that you posted your good news!

Jack and I will be celebrating Thanksgiving by ourselves.  Half of our family has covid!

@Sunshine3601So glad Donna is doing better.

@FromSea2ShiningSea Loved your pictures!

@Sea Dog Greg, please, please be careful and not overdo.

To continue Celebrity chat:  My sister and bil just got off of The Edge yesterday and had a fabulous cruise.  My sister went on and on about how beautiful the ship was.   Food was amazing but then we know food can be very subjective.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We had a 2- (maybe 3 cozy person) Soft Tub for quite a few years. You still have to do all the chemical things. It was a gift from my MIL. And we really enjoyed it for a while. I had to give it up when I came down with Graves Disease (Hyperthyroidism) and couldn't handle the heat. Most of the people here that used to have hot tubs, have since gotten rid of them. Including us. We sold the Soft Tub and the 6-person fancy hot tub at the other house broken up and taken to the dump. (It was big) So, I would suggest looking for a used one or thinking about a less expensive Soft Tub. 

https://softub.com/

We don't use any chemicals in our hot tub and it's super clean. Trying to get all the chemicals correct can sometimes be a real PITA. Using this machine makes it so easy, no smell of chlorine in the water, doesn't fade your suit and doesn't dye your hair.

Our hot tub is  salt hot tub., salt reacts with low voltage in the hot tub and makes chlorine gases which keep the hot tub super clean.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saltron-Mini-Drop-in-Salt-Chlorine-Generator-for-Hot-Tubs-Swim-Spas-up-to-2000-Gallons/544925640

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We don't use any chemicals in our hot tub and it's super clean. Trying to get all the chemicals correct can sometimes be a real PITA. Using this machine makes it so easy, no smell of chlorine in the water, doesn't fade your suit and doesn't dye your hair.

Our hot tub is  salt hot tub., salt reacts with low voltage in the hot tub and makes chlorine gases which keep the hot tub super clean.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saltron-Mini-Drop-in-Salt-Chlorine-Generator-for-Hot-Tubs-Swim-Spas-up-to-2000-Gallons/544925640

Bathing Suits? 😃LOL I'm sure yours is great. We didn't actually wear suits, so fading was not an issue. And like I said, most people liked them here for a long time, until they didn't use them anymore. 😊 And I'm sure they were mostly the kind that required pool chemicals. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Haha 7

Thank you @Jimbo

@h20skibum

and @Coralc

for the advice on the tub.  We have a large cement patio behind the house that is covered so that is where it would go.  We would need to have an electrician run the wiring for it once we decide where we would put it.  I love the idea of the salt generator.  I always like saltwater pools.  

• Like 4

That's the power box for the 110 electric for salt generator on the brick pillar, 220 volt line is run under ground into the side of the hot tub

20211103_152725.jpg

That black cord goes to the generator mounted on the pillar. The cord you see against the side of the hot tub, is the part that you throw into the tub.

20211103_152633.jpg

60 amp and 15 amp breaker box, you must have a breaker box within so many ft. of your tub. Large breaker for tub and small breaker for the salt generator.

20211103_152504.jpg

My wife in the window, taking a pic of the new tub. 🙂  That's the concrete pad I made.......We didn't want anything over the top of the tub because we wanted to see the stars at night.

20211007_132737.jpg

That's the color's we selected.

20211007_133513.jpg

Lot's of jets, there are 5 pumps in the tub, that is why it needs a 60 amp breaker. Some tubs with less jets and less pumps use a smaller amp breaker.

20211007_133540.jpg

That is the cover we selected with easy off and easy on cover, it's spring loaded.

20211007_133523.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, George C said:

We play Christmas vacation every Christmas it is my favorite holiday movie , great cast .

Sailing on Sunday flying to Florida Saturday have a corner aft sky suite on Beyond, just got our luggage tags laminated 😁.

I'll be very interested in your thoughts on Beyond. We will sail on her in April of 2024. I'm curious as to what dining rooms you try and also any specialty restaurants you might recommend?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

So, did you call your brother in Airplane Mode today?  

No, I didn't.  The day got away from me what with all the backed up snail mail and laundry.  Being gone for 6 weeks was great....but coming home sure snaps you back to reality.  I'll definitely call him on Thanksgiving!  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

No, I didn't.  The day got away from me what with all the backed up snail mail and laundry.  Being gone for 6 weeks was great....but coming home sure snaps you back to reality.  I'll definitely call him on Thanksgiving!  

Bill's family calls him on Thanksgiving, too. I'm so bad, when I look at the caller ID Pat. ☺️

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Thank you @Jimbo

@h20skibum

and @Coralc

for the advice on the tub.  We have a large cement patio behind the house that is covered so that is where it would go.  We would need to have an electrician run the wiring for it once we decide where we would put it.  I love the idea of the salt generator.  I always like saltwater pools.  

If you are putting it somewhere it is covered, make sure you have enough clearance for the cover lifter.   I have heard stories of people preparing areas close to their house for a hot tub, only to find that when the cover lifter rotated the cover, it would hit the overhang, and they could not open it.

That isn’t something everyone thinks about. Of course, the larger the hot tub, the more height needed to rotate the cover.  If you look at the picture of Jim’s hot tub, just picture one half of that cover rotating up to open it up.  If it was back in his covered portion, it would probably hit the ceiling. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

If you are putting it somewhere it is covered, make sure you have enough clearance for the cover lifter.   I have heard stories of people preparing areas close to their house for a hot tub, only to find that when the cover lifter rotated the cover, it would hit the overhang, and they could not open it.

That isn’t something everyone thinks about. Of course, the larger the hot tub, the more height needed to rotate the cover.  If you look at the picture of Jim’s hot tub, just picture one half of that cover rotating up to open it up.  If it was back in his covered portion, it would probably hit the ceiling. 

This is the type of lifter we have, so you also need some clearance to the side of the tub also. Plus have an idea where you want to put the steps to climb in up and over the side of the tub.

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Valet-NP509-Lift-Caddy/dp/B0015Z417W?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A2J63LP8QUYV66&th=1  Check out the pictures in the listing and you can pretty much see the clearance you need to operate it.

Mark, is right we did think about putting our tub further back under the over hang but didn't want it to feel like we were boxed in under the sunroom above.

We even go in ours when it is snowing, even during light rain. We like having the open air over our heads so we can see the stars and planes overhead.

We sit in the tub and the deer come up in the yard about 20 ft from us eating whatever food I put out for them, Really neat.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8