Lug Laptop or Not? From a first time cruiser

4cympatico

I am used to having one of my laptops with me when I travel, plus phone...but am guessing that with only 150 minutes on my cruise's internet package for 10 days, probably not really worth bringing more than my phone?

Advice from veteran cruisers appreciated as I am a first timer, Thx

18 minutes ago, 4cympatico said:

I am used to having one of my laptops with me when I travel, plus phone...but am guessing that with only 150 minutes on my cruise's internet package for 10 days, probably not really worth bringing more than my phone?

We don't bring our laptop on cruises.  We find most ships have an internet room, with computers for use.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4cympatico said:

If you don't need it for anything important like work files, etc then leave it at home.  You're the only one that can determine if you need it or not.

• Like 4

I take  a small netbook with me  as we did not have a smart phone before

I use mine for banking etc  while away  so not going to use ships computers  for that

Personal choice

if you can get by with your phone  leave the laptop at home

JMO

No reason to bring it unless you really need it. I am a contractor and can often get an hour or two of work done a day while my wife is napping, so I figure I might as well make a few bucks before spending it 🙂 BUT, if that wasn't the case...no way I'd be bringing a laptop. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 4cympatico said:

I *live* on my notebook computer at home, but use only my phone (for emails etc) on the ship. My husband might bring his iPad if he has University Board meeting(s) scheduled. The internet/wifi on ships varies from mediocre to poor, so you won't even want to be prowling the web any more than you have to. But if you have to, buy the best plan available: it won't be any faster but will have fewer sites and apps blocked.

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thank you to the five veteran cruisers for their responses - given I just retired this summer, you have made my choice easy!  Banking is the only other consideration that one of you also mentioned, and I will simply set some bills to prepay to minimize what I need to do from my phone.

Thx Again from a grateful Canadian

1 hour ago, 4cympatico said:

Thank you to the five veteran cruisers for their responses - given I just retired this summer, you have made my choice easy!  Banking is the only other consideration that one of you also mentioned, and I will simply set some bills to prepay to minimize what I need to do from my phone.

Congrats on the retirement.  For me it is better than I ever thought it would be.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4cympatico said:

This is such a personal decision.

Only you know how often you are really likely to want to check something or to browse about something that came up, or whether there are ever (likely?) reasons that you might *need* to log in somewhere.

We usually get unlimited wifi plans, so we don't have to worry about it.  We usually share one plan, and that's easy to arrange:  "Hey, can I kick you off the internet so I can use it please? 🥰 "   With ann unlimited plan there's no pressure about "can I get this email sent fast", "Did I forget to log off!??", etc.

DH was reluctant about not being "online" for his work, and probably a bit of occasional browsing (such as about something we just heard about a port or something relevant to the cruise - or a future trip coming up, etc.).  Because he was going to retire very late (he really enjoys his work), this could have been a problem.  Fortunately, for quite some time he has been able to arrange most of his schedule, aside from some teaching or the rare "command performance meeting".  Otherwise, we'd be doing much the same, but more during regular holiday times.

So I emphasized that I would MUCH rather that he sit with his laptop on his laptop on, say, the balcony of a ship (or resort/hotel, etc.) than stay at home all the time because he needed/wanted to be online. 🙂

I also am frequently on my laptop.  For example, there's this wonderful place about cruising where I learn a LOT about ships, destinations, etc.  - oh, and whether to bring laptops on cruises...   (If you ask nicely, I could share the website name. 😄)

And there are a few other places I like to check in occasionally (or, um, perhaps a bit more at times...)

So on a sea day, we might be all comfy on some loungers (or a double lounger on some ships), perhaps with a book or two, or an open laptop, or peacefully sleeping from the rocking motion and fresh air...  Paradise!  No pressure*, just more of "whatever/whenever" of vacation time!

There is a lot of flexibility on a cruise.  Your hotel conveniently follows you around at night; there's no cooking or washing up, etc.  Make it what *you* want it to be and enjoy!

We take our laptops on all trips (we no longer go backpacking!), but again, that's what works for us.

Handy hint:  If you end up with a plan with limited minutes, there are many times when one can download what is needed and then log off.  Then read/copy it, work on it, and then send it somewhere else with a new online session.  Even with email, one can often download a message, log off, compose an answer, log back on, and "send".

GC

* There have been occasional times when there was some sort of deadline, either during a vacation or shortly after our arrival back home.  Again, better to spend some time as described above than to stay home!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

One other thought:  I don't think a laptop will fit into a cabin safe. It's small.

We always bring our laptop. We have no concerns leaving it in our cabin without feeling it needs to be in the safe.

• Like 2

What a good question!  I could never be happy without my laptop and the ability to get online whenever I wish. I'd sooner bash my head against the wall than compose emails on a phone.  Don't want to use a public place but like to curl up in the cabin and be comfy.   I always get the full internet package on a ship, usually upgrading from whatever freebie my TA arranges.  I do a bit of business, but really I just like to 'know stuff' when I want to know it.  My little Della is not a burden to tote and I love having access to the internet whenever I need it.  Now having said all this, of course, the internet 'at sea' is awful, constantly disappearing ... but not for very long.  Takes some getting used to.  

Edited by jsn55
thought

On recent cruises I have taken the laptop because they have been European cruises and I can use my phone data plan to connect while in port.  Also, as travel planning and changes have been plentiful over the last 18 months or so, it is so much easier to use a laptop than a phone for rebooking or making changes.  However, I doubt if I will take it with me on future cruises.

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

One other thought:  I don't think a laptop will fit into a cabin safe. It's small.

Dell Inspiron 17 inch fits into cabin safe ok on HAL ships.  It does need to be offered up diagonally to the door, but then fits perfectly to the safe floor.   

I’ve been traveling with a laptop since my first, 1991, Tandy from Radio Shack.  I keep a travel journal and a little arthritis in my hands made hand writing it a chore, much less typing it all up when I got home.  I still do the journal, and post it in another cruising website.  My Surface Pro 4 of 2017 is the best I have ever had and travels well.  I also take my iPad mini 4 and a kindle paper white.  EM

21 hours ago, 4cympatico said:

I bring an iPad that has a desktop browser that can do anything I need done that can't be done on my smartphone.  

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

What a good question!  I could never be happy without my laptop and the ability to get online whenever I wish. I'd sooner bash my head against the wall than compose emails on a phone.  Don't want to use a public place but like to curl up in the cabin and be comfy.   I always get the full internet package on a ship, usually upgrading from whatever freebie my TA arranges.  I do a bit of business, but really I just like to 'know stuff' when I want to know it.  My little Della is not a burden to tote and I love having access to the internet whenever I need it.  Now having said all this, of course, the internet 'at sea' is awful, constantly disappearing ... but not for very long.  Takes some getting used to.  

I have a keyboard for my 11 inch iPad and it is a cellular version so I can buy data. Just the right size for travel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

How about a tablet? Smaller...can handle much of what you might need to do. We have traveled around the world with tablets for many, many years now.

This is all we've used too, since I no longer need to download photos from my camera every night. Even at home, I use my tablet FAR more than the laptop.

I took mine when I was in college, but have stopped. The only other reason was to download from my "real" camera, but I took multiple memory cards and *prayed* they worked.

Not to mention the wifi was abysmal on our last cruise.