How many pairs of shoes do you take on a cruise?

Sigyn

1 pair of shoes for running/gym, which I also use for port days when we walk/hike a lot

1 pair of water shoes and/or sandals depending on our plans for the trip

1 pair of casual lace-up shoes

IF there's anything unusual planned, like a more strenuous hike/offroad or a particularly nice dinner, I'll pack an appropriate pair for those. 

But yeah, I am also a 30-something guy. 

Trainers and leather walking shoes.  I can't wear the same shoes to tour in every day, or I'd only need one of them.  Also black velvet 'dinner' slippers and sandals.  Except where required, I'm mostly barefoot on the ship.  

I can get by with 3:  walking shoes which I wear on the plane, sandals and wedges for evening.  But I usually bring another pair of sandals, since I have had blister/pain problems if not switching out shoes and if room another pair of shoes for evenings.

I only take water shoes if I know I will need them.  Luckily my feet are smallish and so shoes don't take too much room.  I can get them in a carry on bag and a large tote I take as my personal item; it has shoe storage in the bottom.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

3 hours ago, njsmom said:

I have been on three cruises. I always take too many shoes, about 5-6 pairs. How many pairs do you take?

Usually - 2 pairs of walking/sneaker shoes (one for wearing, one packed), water shoes (usually a water sandal-type shoe), and 1 pair of dress shoes.  

Most of my cruises involve a lot of walking ashore (and have pre- post- cruise stays) in Europe. My happy place is:

• 2 different pairs of walking shoes -- it's better for your feet to rotate, plus I always worry what would happen if one pair somehow gets ruined.
  • 1 pair of black flats that go with all evening wear, dressy or casual
  • 1 pair of casual "around the ship" shoes -- espadrilles, sandals, boat shoes depending on the weather and season

If it was a Caribbean cruise I'd probably only take 1 pair of walking shoes.

1 pair of black Hoka (Bondi 7)...for walking, running, and evening.

1 pair of Hoka sandals.

* I bring 3 pairs of weightless, comfortable, memory-foam shoe inserts...I wash and rotate inserts daily. (runner and triathlete)

* I nicknamed my wife "Imelda". :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Far too many compared with previous posters !!!

Never wear same footwear two consecutive days 

Day sandals- two pairs (Possibly one pair of wedges for evening)

Evening sandals- two pairs (one black / one metallic or cream)

Trainers- Two pairs if cold/wet  countries (South America- Falkland Islands etc)

(Wear one pair to travel)

Leather Flip flips- two pairs

Possibly water shoes for places like Princess Cays.

Three.  Tennis/walking shoes, water shoes, and sandals that I can wear during the day and in the evening (so no dress shoes).  By the end of the day my feet are too tired for dress shoes, anyway.  I figure if people don't like my shoes, I will never see them again after the cruise anyway, so I just don't care 🙂

• Like 2

Three: 

One pair of Keds-type tennis shoes ...

and one pair of comfortable sandals ...

these two are the workhorses, which I wear almost all the time onboard and for excursions.  They work with shorts, tee-shirt dresses or a swimsuit.  

One pair of casual wedges that'll match all my dinner dresses. 

Maybe four:  

Depending upon our excursion plans, possibly water shoes.  If we aren't planning an active water-excursion or we aren't planning to visit a beach known for rocky shores, I won't bother with these.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

I started off cruising 9 years ago with probably 5-6 pairs of shoes - different ones to match different outfits. Five cruises later I'm down to 2 + water shoes for excursions. One pair of sandals and one pair of sandals. We cruise NCL so there are no dress up nights (unless you want to) so my sandals are good with everything.

Three including what is on my feet. If flying, even with the luggage restrictions, I do not wear the heaviest, but rather the easiest off-on for security, and most comfortable.

A lace-up "sneaker" (SAS) for shore trips.

Kalso clogs for easy slip on around the ship.

Black Kalso thong sandals that I have kept nice and blacked-out the logo. My mom jokes that these are "Dress Flip-Flops"!

My husband will take a slip-on "boat" shoe and a pair of broken in Oxfords for any excursion with walking.

If we ever get to take our much-cancelled So.Pacific cruise (!), I do have water shoes for both of us. We will be driving to port, though.

1 pair of walking shoes that I wear when i embark and are my everyday shoes around the ship and ashore.  I pair of black dress shoes.  1 pair of slippers.  Sometimes, I will take a pair of canvas type lace-up shoes.  And, always a roll of duct tape.  (I needed that when my walking shoes (which had lots of wear on them) began to split at a spot where the top of the shoe meets the sole.  I was able to repair the shoe from the inside with the duct tape until the end of my trip.  The repair even proved to be watertight!.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

1 pair of walking shoes that I wear when i embark and are my everyday shoes around the ship and ashore.  I pair of black dress shoes.  1 pair of slippers.  Sometimes, I will take a pair of canvas type lace-up shoes.  And, always a roll of duct tape.  (I needed that when my walking shoes (which had lots of wear on them) began to split at a spot where the top of the shoe meets the sole.  I was able to repair the shoe from the inside with the duct tape until the end of my trip.  The repair even proved to be watertight!.)

I also take slippers .I had forgotten than.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I also take slippers .I had forgotten than.

Slippers is something that I pack in my carry-on bag when I fly.  On overnight flights, I slip off my shoes and put on my slippers.  The socks that the airline supplies are OK, but, walking in the aisle in the dark to go to the loo, stubbing a toe against a hard surface in those socks might result in a broken toe.  

• Like 2