what do you put on your luggage tags?

racnwdow

As someone who has experienced both lost and delayed luggage on different occasions I now put my hotel address or cruise ship on the luggage tag when journeying to my destination. I'll have an itinerary with all destinations and dates if multiple overnights in different locations inside a clear plastic luggage tag holder. On the way home I just use my address.

This way I have at least some hope of having my luggage catch up to me.

Of course meds, grooming essentials, and at least one change of clothes is in my carryon.

• Like 2

Great question!!!  I have our names, address and cell phone.   But we travel internationally most of the time now so I also added my email address.   Inside each bag  I have a zip lock bag with our itinerary.

I have thought about changing them but was not sure what to delete.  I like using first initial instead of name - then they don't know if I am male or female.

First question to answer why you need to put anything

Primary need, it gets lost/re-routed they know who and where to start track down.  Really shouldn't be a problem for airplane check-in as they barcode and link to your flight/destination

Secondary need, put as little on it so people can't find too much information about you and where you live.   if stolen they have little to go by ( see name comment below ) 

Name?  Google what what you'd put in name and decide

Email:  Whats the point, you going to check your email if your luggage never shows up?

Mobile/cell phone:  Will wager we carry that with us and it sits by our side when you sleep and most immediate way anyone will get you.   Will you answer that no caller ID or unknown number when your luggage is MIA?

I put first initial and full last name and cell phone including country code ( I travel a lot )

Between linkedin and google you can likely triangulate in a few minutes or seconds if you are doing this with an algorithmic search.     Can't wait till we discover some ring scamming outbound luggage tags at an airport/terminal

Edited by chipmaster

3 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

As someone who has experienced both lost and delayed luggage on different occasions I now put my hotel address or cruise ship on the luggage tag when journeying to my destination. I'll have an itinerary with all destinations and dates if multiple overnights in different locations inside a clear plastic luggage tag holder. On the way home I just use my address.

This way I have at least some hope of having my luggage catch up to me.

Of course meds, grooming essentials, and at least one change of clothes is in my carryon.

Knock wood, we've never had anything lost.

You should NEVER put your home address on your tags!  That just allows any potential thief to have your address when you're OBVIOUSLY not home!

If you MUST put an address, use your place of business!

All you need is a name....initial and last name, and your cell phone number.  NEVER put the address where you are NOT on anything!

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

You should NEVER put your home address on your tags!  That just allows any potential thief to have your address when you're OBVIOUSLY not home!

I don't know if it should be a blanket never. I know someone who did put their home address on their luggage which got lost and three months later when it was found it was sent back to their home. It turned out to be pretty handy and they didn't have a business address to use. 

A lot of airports are run on the bare minimum so I do wonder if luggage handlers would have time to be reading and recording all the addresses to find the best one to rob, especially with the added hassle of luggage coming from all over the country and at international airports all over the world. Does anyone know of cases where airport workers robbed or organised the robbery of a property? 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

If my name was Jane Smith:

J. Smith

(123) 456 - 7890

jsmith@XYZ.net

On a side note: I recently did a google search on an e-mail address I've used for years and it's a bit scary how much information is linked to it. I will therefore be phasing that one out.

Unfortunately phased out or not that info will still be there and unfortunately likely cross linked to other stuff you don't want there as well.  The joy of the internet....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know if it should be a blanket never. I know someone who did put their home address on their luggage which got lost and three months later when it was found it was sent back to their home. It turned out to be pretty handy and they didn't have a business address to use. 

A lot of airports are run on the bare minimum so I do wonder if luggage handlers would have time to be reading and recording all the addresses to find the best one to rob, especially with the added hassle of luggage coming from all over the country and at international airports all over the world. Does anyone know of cases where airport workers robbed or organised the robbery of a property? 

But tags get damaged, so do not rely on them.  I put full address and mobile phone inside the luggage, in a visible place (and often hotel address on departure trip).

On the tag I usually have only the name (first name), if the tag do not fold (so cover the address).

I do not think thief could take advantage of the address: to go home it will take a lot of time (but if you live very near to airport), and nobody know if there are other people in the house, alarms, etc.  Stealing luggage is in my opinion more rewarding, so I would check not to have super-expensive luggage or something that make people thinking there is much value inside (which it is not my case)

Why would a criminal go to the airport, look at nametags for hours to find one that lives close enough to the airport and then go and break in to the house?

There's easier ways to find out if someone is away, internet is one of them...

If I would put my phone number (which I do) on my bags, one internet search would give them my name, address, my apartment number, my wifes name, what car I have... Even if I only would put my name on the bag, they would get the same info since I'm the only one with that name.

Edited by Extra Kim

On 10/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, racnwdow said:

What do you put on your luggage tags?  I used to put home address, phone number, name.  But traveling without my husband and times a changing, I am not sure I want all of that out there for anyone to see.

I put my name, cell phone number and travel insurance information

On 10/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, racnwdow said:

What do you put on your luggage tags?  I used to put home address, phone number, name.  But traveling without my husband and times a changing, I am not sure I want all of that out there for anyone to see.

Last Name and cabin number. Maybe an email address but that is really not necessary.

Last name and mobile phone number.  Nothing else.  Putting your home address on your luggage tag tells everyone your house is empty.  If you feel you must have an address, use an office or arrange with a UPS Store type place to accept any deliveries for you (they charge $5-10 per) and use their address.

Edited by ducklite

All of my info is on the tag, but the only thing visible is the name.  In order to see more info the tag has to be removed from the bag - it's a hard plastic tag that swivels open, the slot for the loop is at the opposite end of the pivot.

This is like what I have - https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Set-Luggage-Tags-Swivel-Aqua/dp/B00X1BUIBG?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_1234358011_4&pf_rd_p=00115334-e91e-50bb-b4ae-2581d4bdc7b7&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-11&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1234358011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=M48Q77B8HTQSX70ZKYHW&pf_rd_r=M48Q77B8HTQSX70ZKYHW&pf_rd_p=00115334-e91e-50bb-b4ae-2581d4bdc7b7

1)  I use luggage tags where only the name is visible without opening the tag.  So someone would have to work to see my info.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXH5VHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2)  I put my name (visible from the outside).  I put my email address (and YES, I check my email), my cell phone number (including country code).  And I put my frequent flyer number for my carrier of choice for the 3 main alliances.  So Delta for Sky Team, United for Star Alliance, and American for One World.

That way, if the airline finds it, they have my home address.  I do NOT put my home address on the tag.

• Like 1

This is what I use, the info can be changed online for each holiday, there is a very strong strap attached and airlines can acces the Q code if necessary to find me. I hope I never lose my luggage but if it happens I should be eay to find.

Rosalyn

https://www.amazon.com/Tagonce-luggage-enabled-tracking-Moonlight/dp/B01FXG7YAY?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

1 hour ago, SRF said:

1)  I use luggage tags where only the name is visible without opening the tag.  So someone would have to work to see my info.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CXH5VHP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2)  I put my name (visible from the outside).  I put my email address (and YES, I check my email), my cell phone number (including country code).  And I put my frequent flyer number for my carrier of choice for the 3 main alliances.  So Delta for Sky Team, United for Star Alliance, and American for One World.

That way, if the airline finds it, they have my home address.  I do NOT put my home address on the tag.

Thanks for sharing these tags - look sturdy and I like that the personal info is hidden.  I'll purchase on our next Amazon order.  Also like the tip about including the airlines flyer number.  Hadn't thought about that before and experienced a "duh" moment after reading the tip!

FWIW, we also put our email address on the tag.  It is MUCH easier for us to check email while out of the US than to receive a cell phone call (our cell service does not allow use out of the US/Canada and the internet phone number we use, well, we obviously must be hooked to a WIFI network and we can't always stay attached to one).