Which country / island do you want to visit

sprint180

Just wondering what is the one place / country / island you would want to visit?

Mine was Russia because I used to have a pen pal from there.  I remember when the first McDonalds opened there  (not sure if it was the country or city he lived in)  In 2016 some of my kids and I went,  so excited to see what I had heard about.

(this is not a covid 19 thread, I do not care if the country is accepting travelers.  This is just a fun thread)

I wouldn't mind returning to just about every place I have been, but some more than others.  I would like to revisit Mongolia, to see how it has changed since 1993, have they built any more roads...  Pokhara, Nepal, and Kathmandu...  It has been so many years since I lived in Germany that I would like to go back...  EM

18 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Ocean Cay, MSC's private island.  

I just have to ask WHY!!!! Have you been everywhere else in the world? What's so special about that island? What can you do there that you can't do elsewhere? I'm not being critical but rather curious 🙂

45 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Just wondering what is the one place / country / island you would want to visit?

Mine was Russia because I used to have a pen pal from there.  I remember when the first McDonalds opened there  (not sure if it was the country or city he lived in)  In 2016 some of my kids and I went,  so excited to see what I had heard about.

(this is not a covid 19 thread, I do not care if the country is accepting travelers.  This is just a fun thread)

Israel and Poland

Great thread! I really loved my vacations on the Adriatic (Croatia twice, Montenegro once) and would like to spend more time there, like Albania, Southern Italy and Corfu (on the edge of Adriatic I guess). Also leading into the proper Greek Islands area. From my experience similar beaches/food. I lived in Crete for a year but due to logistics I only ended up going to Athens and none of the other islands. A Greek Island cruise may be in my future! I love the food and even the style of the beaches. They don’t have the long, sandy beaches you get in the Caribbean (which I love as well) but they have their own charm. Oftentimes lots of little restaurants to walk to in multiple, successive inlets. The rocky beaches don’t bother me, usually comes with really clear water that gets deep very quickly.

By ship - the French Polynesian islands.  I've only visited Tahiti and Moorea,  and that was decades ago. I lust in my heart for a Paul Gauguin cruise.

By land -  Kenya and Tanzania for safaris.

We were really looking forward to see Eagle Beach on Aruba because that's a very famous beach. After seeing it we think, what a joke! One of the worst beaches we have ever seen!

Now we wish to visit Bora Bora. We would also love to take the train from Moscow to Mongolia if the standard of the train was better.  

Having visited 70+ countries (some multiple times), I've checked off most of my must-see sights.  Planning a trip to Egypt and Jordan next January -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the trip will occur.  Other places on my list:  Galapagos, more of Africa, Indian Ocean islands, and a fourth trip to New Zealand.

Seychelles. My husband's family lived there in the early 60's while he was attending school in Nairobi.  We recently found letters and journal written by his mom about leaving the USA with five children and husband, in search of the perfect place to live.  By today's standards, life was primitive - generator for power, propane fridge, mail was via ships that traveled between Mombasa and ports in India. But for a few dollars, one could have a handy person, maid, laundress and cook. 

At least now one could fly non-stop from LHR to  Mahe. Back in the early 60's there was no airport.

Darcy

I'm not sure I could come up with "the" one place I'd want to visit. There are so many places that I want to visit, and as many or more than I want to re-visit (I am not a "one and done" traveler...)   But in terms of a short list:

Haven't been yet but want to go:

• India (probably separate trips for Northern and Southern)
  • Silk Road
  • Algeria
  • Libya (if it is ever safe enough)
  • Sri Lanka
  • Easter Island
  • Greenland

Want to go back and spend more time/see more places:

• Italy (always so many more places to see plus old favorites)
  • Germany (Roman German sites and Berlin when Museum Island is fully reopened)
  • Japan (have been longing to go back, cherry-blossom cruise this year canceled due to COVID)
  • Turkey
  • Egypt
  • Syria (if it is ever safe enough)
  • Beirut

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

so only remaining big attractions are Cape Horn

I am glad I was able to be sailing past Cape Horn.  Spectacular scenery?  Well, not really,  Seas were sufficiently active that standing in the Crow's Nest on the Zaandam was risky.  Going outside to take a photo of that moment, I decided was potentially injurious to my well being.  Yet, being able to do so is a significant travel memory.

Edited by rkacruiser

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Now we wish to visit Bora Bora. We would also love to take the train from Moscow to Mongolia if the standard of the train was better.  

Are you kidding ?  The accommodations, food and service on the trans-Siberian Golden Eagle train from Moscow to Ulan Bator match, or exceed, anything on any train in Europe. Of course, if you want a budget trip, you will get what you are willing to pay for —- pretty much like everything else in the world.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Cabo San Lucas to see the whales or China for the Terracotta Warriors.
Either way .. someone else would have to pay emoji57.png

Kind of funny.  Someday I hope to have the opportunity to visit your neck of the woods.  I have saved notes from some folks here on CC who gave me some tips on places to visit.  One I recall is Alnwick.  

W

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

the trans-Siberian Golden Eagle train from Moscow to Ulan Bator

Would be wonderful......I think the fare is about $17000 each.... what a trip...

Where would i like visit ????    if no worry about cost..... Iceland for the scenery... 

Cheers Don